Conecting a Wireless D-linkRouter DSL_G604T to a Netgear Wireless Router WGR614

Hi there

I have a D-link Wireless Modem/router on one side of the house and have a Netgear Wireless/router in a bedroom the other side of the house. at the moment i runing a cat5e cable between the to the routers, is there anyway i can set the two wireless routers so they can talk to each other with out the cable? i have two machines running from the netgear router. any help or advice would be great

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben
Loading thread data ...

My first thought would be to replace the Cat5 cable with Power line networking. Would that meet your needs?

Reply to
Char Jackson

Hi,

I just got a Netgear WGR614v7. Unfortunately, it was a V7 :), but when I was researching, I think that the V9 added WDS/Wireless Distribution System capability. I haven't worked much with WDS, but my impression is that if your WGR614 has WDS, then you can set that up to connect to the Dlink wirelessly, and act as an AP. I also think that if you do that, the bandwidth gets cut in half (from the WGR614 to the Dlink, I guess).

See:

formatting link
Later, Jim

Reply to
ohaya

If it's working why remove the cable ?

Reply to
atec 7 7

Hi there, yes i have the Netgear WGR614v7, it wont let me make it a just an access point unless i'm doing sumthing wrong,. Why remove the cable, cause its 20 meters in length (and the wife is asking me is ther anyway i can remove it) and i thought i'd may have been able to to conect the two routers together.

Cheers Ben

Reply to
Ben

Hi Ben,

Then, unfortunately, as far as I can tell, you won't be able to connect the WGR614v7 wirelessly to your Dlink, because it's a V7 (vs. a V8 or V9, which have WDS, which *might* have allowed you to do so :(...).

Slightly off-topic: Setting the WGR614 as a "pure" access point is doable, but it's a little weird.

What you have to do is plug a cable coming from (in your case) your Dlink to one of the 4 "LAN" ports on the WGR614, and NOT to the single "WAN" port on the WGR614. It took me a while to figure that one out!

This means that even though the WGR614 has 4 "LAN" ports, when you use it as an access point, you "lose" one of the 4 "LAN" ports.

Then, in the WGR614 configuration, in the LAN configuration, you have to uncheck the "act as a DHCP server" checkbox. In my case, I also set a fixed IP address, that is outside of the IP range that is served by my "main" wireless router, in the LAN configuration.

You also, naturally, have to setup the wireless stuff in the WGR614, i.e., SSID, channel, WEP/WPA, etc.

Then, the WGR614 will act as an access point, but, again, the connection from the WGR614 to your Dlink will have to be a physical connection.

Then, the only solution to eliminate the physical connection from the WGR614 to your Dlink, is probably, as one of the other posters suggested, to get something like a powerline adapter thing. I haven't worked with any of those, but I think you have to make sure there isn't a transformer somewhere between the electrical outlet on both ends.

Sorry.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Have you tried bridge mode ? this should help

formatting link
of course purchasing another brand might be easier

Reply to
atec 7 7

atec,

I think that the OP wanted to eliminate the physical connection/cable between his WGR614 and his Dlink router/modem. I think that that AP configuration in that article still requires a cable connection from the WGR614 and his Dlink (the box labelled "router" in the Netgear page you linked).

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Hi,

I think that this is what the OP is looking for:

formatting link
As I said though, it looks like the V7 doesn't support WDS, so no luck there :(...

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Reply to
atec 7 7

I guess you didn't like my suggestion to look at power line networking.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Char,

As I posted earlier, that, per your suggestion, may be a way for the OP to go, but probably by the time he looks at something like power line, the cost may be comparable, or even more than, just getting a wireless router that supports WDS/bridging?

As I said in one of my earlier, I haven't worked much with power line networking (I've really only looked into awhile ago, a "Slinglink" for working with my Slingbox), but, if you know, what would you recommend for that nowadays? I just googled, and it seems that that stuff is still a little expensive?

Later, Jim

Reply to
ohaya

I'm not a fan of WDS, so that wouldn't be my first choice. In my own case, it's my house so I can make holes in walls, get attic access, etc. I added in-wall Ethernet ports in each room, then ran Cat5 cable up inside the wall to the attic, across the attic, and down inside the other wall. It's neat and clean.

Sorry, I don't have any specific recommendations, but I know that others in this group have gone that route, so hang around and you might see something posted.

Reply to
Char Jackson

formatting link
appears to offer a solution , cheap and lots of after market firmware .

Reply to
atec 7 7

Sorry, i've never heard of the power line networking. how does it work?

Reply to
Ben

It uses interfaces that look like little wall warts to transmit the networking around the house via the internal powerlines IF they are on the same phase .

Reply to
atec 7 7

HomePlug AV is currently the best and fastest.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.