Wireless connectivity problems with Netgear WGR614 v6

I was using my Netgear WGR614 router just fine with a Toshiba laptop running Windows XP Home and a Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

A few months ago I installed a Canon printer using one of the LAN ports on the router. Now I am having some really weird behaviour I haven't been able to solve or even troubleshoot effectively:

1) The Toshiba Laptop running XP Home can connect to a LAN port using an Ethernet cable, but it cannot connect using wireless. It can see the wireless network but it fails when trying to connect. 2) The Dell laptop cannot connect using wireless if the wireless card for the Toshiba laptop is activated. But when I turn off the wireless card on the Toshiba the Dell connects fine.

The main thing I did when I bought the printer was to reserve an IP address (192.168.0.103) for the printer. Neither computer has any problem using the printer.

My router is registered as 192.168.0.103 and its subnet mask is

255.255.255.0. I am using WPA-PSK authentication.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Mister Civic
Loading thread data ...

The main thing I did when I bought the printer was to reserve an IP address (192.168.0.103) for the printer. My router is registered as 192.168.0.103 IP conflict? Try your router as 192.168.0.1

Reply to
Harry

Thanks for your response. Sorry the router address was a typo on my part in the post. It is 192.168.0.1.

Reply to
Mister Civic

I finally fixed this problem!

I don't understand why, but the IP address of 192.168.0.3 was preventing my laptop running XP from connecting to the wireless. I am guessing this may have been its previous address before I installed the printer and somehow this caused a conflict of some sort. I changed my printer to 192.168.0.25 and now everything seems fine!

Reply to
Mister Civic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.