WiFi Modem?

What are the features which allow a device to be referred to as a WiFi "Modem"?

Different from a router? ..an amplifier? Does it have another more common name?

On December 12, my small town completed deployment of a citywide free wireless network. The "modem" (Peplink Surf) suggested for those that have trouble connecting is described here:

formatting link
The network is working. Inside my house, the internal wireless card in my laptop cannot access the signals, but an external Hawking USB HWU54D adapter receives at 40% to 50%, and is pretty stable.

I'm curious about the "modem", (which I'd never heard of) in case things change when all the trees get populated with leaves.

Reply to
Barbara
Loading thread data ...

"Barbara" wrote in news:DeXnHmMUzXdD-pn2- vsvWrWVlJ4H9@localhost:

The 'modem' is just an 802.11B/G client device, that connects directly to a network via ethernet instead of being a PCMCIA card, or USB adapter.

This particular one seems to do NAT on the client side.

And yes, there could be a BIG difference between trees with and w/o leaves.

Reply to
DanS

Thanks. Since asking my original question, I've learned quite a lot. There are many questions/answers concerning the Google city WiFi net in Mountain View, CA. Ours is similar, but I believe will be turned into a subscription service after testing. I just blundered into it by accident. Hawking adapter is amazing!

From Google WiFi Mountain View CA questions:

(talks about Google network.., then..)

"Like a DSL or cable modem, it requires power and has an ethernet connection to which you can attach a PC, laptop or personal home router. In short, a WiFi modem allows a user to convert the Google WiFi wireless signal into a wired signal.

What makes a WiFI modem distinct from a conventional WiFi client is that it has transmit power capable of reaching the WiFi equipment installed on lamp posts, and software features that optimized for use with an outdoor network."

PepLink Surf and Ruckus MetroFlex are two recommended brands. There may be others.

Pretty exciting stuff!

Reply to
Barbara

Earthlink just installed citywide wireless in my city too.

However, what I want is to be able to walk around my house and get wireless signals.

It seems the modem they're selling and the MetroFlex Wireless Access Gateway doesn't let you do that. It's only wireless to get the signal to your house. Both these devices require an ethernet cable to connect to your computer.

Or, you have to buy two devices; a wireless modem to get the signal to your house and a a wireless router to distribute that signal inside your house. Am I explaining that well?

Question: Does anyone know if there is ONE device that will do both? I want one device that brings the signal to my house and sends it thru my house.

Has anyone had experience connecting to one of these new citywide wireless networks, such as MetroFi or Earthlink WiFi?

Thanks, Bill

Barbara wrote:

Reply to
bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.