Netgear WGR614 Issue

From a Windows 2000 box on a hard wired Ethernet connection, I connect via a WGR614 to a server on the WAN. The server has an inactivity timeout set to either 30 secs or 5 mins. If the 30 second timer activates, the server sends an RST which makes its way back to the connecting application. However, if the 5 minute timer triggers, the server sends an RST which is then "eaten" by the WGR614. The application is blissfully unaware that the connection has been closed. When it tries to send more data, that results in retransmissions and an eventual timout.

If I disable the WAN server timeout, inactive connections via the WGR614 survive beyond 5 minutes. So it is clearly not a case of Netgear simply breaking the connection for 5 mins of inactivity.

In short, the WGR614 cripples the ability of an application to detect (and recover from) a reset by the remote peer.

Netgear have been no help -- they suggested disabling SPI which I had already tried and makes no difference.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.