Improving home wireless signal

Hi All, Firstly, I apologise for a) possibly repeating a topic that has been discussed before and, b) not being technically minded, so please be gentle with me.

I have a home desktop and laptop network at my house in Turkey. The house is built of concrete and therefore, the wireless signal gets weak around the house. I have a Draytek-Vigor 2800VG router and would like to improve my signal. Do you guys have any ideas? And please in a language even I would understand.

Regards

Ps. The laptop relies on its built in wireless card. The desktop is located right next to the router.

Reply to
nirvana1963
Loading thread data ...

One thing you could do is distribute Internet around your home by using power-line adapters instead of wireless adapters. These connect from your Internet modem (cable or DSL or ADSL) to an electrical-power outlet in your house and then in any other outlet in the house you simply plug in an adapter, the other end of which is RJ45 (ethernet) or USB to your PC. This would not give you the portability you are looking for, but it is one way to solve the problem without running lots of wires.

Reply to
Dave

If you have some signal, a simple reflector on the router might make things very good.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
Make the tabs longer than the template drawing, for easier assembly.

Reply to
dold

The other thing you could do is raise the router/antenna up higher to get better signal distribution.

As suggested by Clarence, the best effect is gained by making the antenna directional towards the area where the client (laptop) is going to be sited.

My antenna reflector design and basic signal information may also be of interest below.

formatting link
Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.