Help connect laptop to home hetwork

I have a Netgear WGR614 router. My desktop is connected via cable my vista laptop is connected wireless and both work good. My Daughter got a HP laptop with Windows XP with a built in wireless card. With her laptop I can connect to network. It says connected and has good signal. I can't connect to internet. She can connect to wireless at Starbucks and other places and get internet. Why won't it connect to to internet over my network? Any help appreciated.

Reply to
L.D.
Loading thread data ...

In news:nSGNl.29018$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com, L.D. typed on Sun, 10 May 2009 15:33:21 -0500:

I have seen this before. Can it connect to another computer on the network? You have to turn on sharing on your computer to make this work. Then you can disable this if you want. You could try this script below and see if it works. Save below and above the clip lines and paste into Notepad or something. Then rename it as flushdns.cmd and then double click to run.

~~~ clip ~~~ ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ~~~ clip ~~~

Reply to
BillW50

what subnet are you using? most places use 1, default gateway looks for

1.... whats your starting ip address? (ie 192.168.1.1 is usual - 3rd number is the subnet) if it connects to your network, but doesn't see the internet, sounds like it may be the subnet....
Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
L.D.

have you putzed with the default gateway? (it defaults to 192.168.1.1 unless you change it to something else, and thats usually what browsers/email/newsreaders etc look for, if i change the starting ip address i usually have to change the default gateway too or it defaults to the wrong thing)

from what you describe below (not finding the internet or only seeing a local port), that sounds like something you may want to check...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
L.D.

depends... some people start from scratch/keep track of changes, so they can repeat things, replace after disaster, and others just make it work without starting over... I'm a start over type (restore backups/reinstall software/reset to factory defaults when testing and an ooops happens, turn off, new from box etc...) fraid from what you said below, you may be the other type... so not sure if i can suggest anything other than what i would do (start from scratch.... ie hit the reset button, restore it to factory defaults, and start fresh from a known setting... akin to restoring a puter from a backup/factory distribution disk) i get the feeling that that any suggestions i may offer may not be usefull for you (if you are the fix it instead of restore it type)..... not bad, just different from how i do things, and i wouldn't want to suggest doing something that would go against your way of doing things.... be glad to suggest things/answer q's however....

to answer your q, with the caveat above, you could just set it back to new/out of the box/factory defaults....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Get comfortable with the basic networking commands such as: ipconfig /all ping tracert

Do an "ipconfig /all" on each computer and compare the results. If all computers are set for DHCP, then the default gateway and DNS servers will be identical, and the local IP address on each computer will fall within the range of DHCP addresses given out by your router.

Make sure the wireless PC's are connecting to *your* wireless router by setting a unique SSID and making sure they are connected to that SSID. If one or more are accidentally connected to a neighbor's system, troubleshooting will be a magnitude more difficult.

Use the ping and tracert (traceroute) commands to make sure the troublesome PC can reach the router, the cable/dsl modem, the default gateway, and an address on the Internet such as the DNS server at

4.2.2.2 (for example). This step by step approach is designed to tell you where connectivity ends.

Post the results of those tests here if you need help, otherwise use them to figure out what is different and what works or doesn't work in an effort to narrow the problem down.

Reply to
Char Jackson

just out of curiosity, what ip address range starts with 4.? i've never seen less than 10. (cept for 0.)

Reply to
Peter Pan

pbx1:/var/log/asterisk/cdr-csv# whois -h whois.arin.net 4.0.0.0

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc. OrgID: LVLT Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd. City: Broomfield StateProv: CO PostalCode: 80021 Country: US

NetRange: 4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255 CIDR: 4.0.0.0/8 NetName: LVLT-ORG-4-8 NetHandle: NET-4-0-0-0-1 Parent: NetType: Direct Allocation NameServer: NS1.LEVEL3.NET NameServer: NS2.LEVEL3.NET Comment: RegDate: Updated: 2004-06-04

OrgAbuseHandle: APL8-ARIN OrgAbuseName: Abuse POC LVLT OrgAbusePhone: +1-877-453-8353 OrgAbuseEmail: snipped-for-privacy@level3.com

OrgTechHandle: ARINC4-ARIN OrgTechName: ARIN Contact OrgTechPhone: +1-800-436-8489 OrgTechEmail: snipped-for-privacy@genuity.net

OrgTechHandle: TPL1-ARIN OrgTechName: Tech POC LVLT OrgTechPhone: +1-877-453-8353 OrgTechEmail: snipped-for-privacy@level3.com

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2009-05-27 19:10 # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Reply to
msg

thanx, so under 10. is more pre allocated/big isp/private address ranges... figgers

Reply to
Peter Pan

Huh? Same as nearly any other IP range.

Reply to
Char Jackson

yeah, i'm just looking at the whois you posted....

big company/big isp, big range of addresses, never heard of level 3... at any rate, point is the under 10. ip addresses have no special meaning (cept

0.), have comcast (62.) and earthlink (48.) that do the same (have big ranges), just curious if the 4.2.2.2 number was unused, had special meaning, if anyone can use it (there were a very few public/free dns servers, don't think there are anymore), or if he just happened to pick one his isp used and has an account with(if he got lucky picking an ip number, I was gonna ask for lottery number picks!).... Bummer, never mind, no lotto numbers.... just ran across this (and that specific ip address is on the free dns server list)..... guess anyone can use it, and it has no special meaning....

from

formatting link
fast Public DNS Servers List ... Service provider: vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net Public Name server IP address:

4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2.4 4.2.2.5 4.2.2.6 ...
Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.