Intermittent loss of connection with Internet

Our church's office has a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. However, the principal use of the router is in the wired mode, i.e., the desktop PC in the office is connected by LAN cable. The wireless signal is being broadcast, though, but it is encrypted.

Infrequently, every one to two weeks, there is a dropping of Internet access. The problem can always be resolved by disconnecting the computer from the router and connecting it directly to the ISP's modem. (ISP in this case is Clearwire.) Or, in another case just yesterday, we experienced a "loss" of Internet service, one of office- staff members simply disconnected the PC from the router and then reconnecting it (pull out LAN cable then re-connect). Problem was solved immediately.

Is this indicative of a problem with the router or a problem with the ISP?

I am a little mystified by all of this because my service at home, via cable modem, utilizes a wireless router (though of mfgr Airlink) and I almost NEVER have a problem like this. So, I know that this is not something that has to be just necessarily accepted.

Dave4681

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.