Upload speed

I have a laptop connected wirelessly to the Internet via a D-Link WBR 1310 router and a desktop computer hard wired to the same router. The laptop's upload speed to the internet is about 5x faster than the desktop while the desktop downloads about 2x faster than the laptop.

The desktop is connected via the built-in SiS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

The speed was checked using the same version of Network Magic network software addressing the same server. Changing servers, changed the numbers but the relative speeds between the computers remained the same.

Both computers are running XP SP2.

Could the driver for the desktop's built in Ethernet be at fault? If it is, what would be the correct method to update the driver? I have downloaded a driver from SiS that seems to match my driver information and motherboard type but have not tried to install yet.

Is this situation normal or am I wrong in thinking that the desktop computer that is hard wired to the router should have faster communication than the wireless laptop?

Thank you.

Reply to
Worn out Retread
Loading thread data ...

Tell us the numbers - your BB speed is X, your laptop uploaded at y and downloaded at z etc.

Out of a properly configured 10/100 network adapter like that one, you should get roughly the full speed of your internet connection in either direction - provided the destination server can dish it out at that speed and nothing else is using your connection at the same time.

Fairly unlikely. More likely its misconfigured or your laptop was trying to use the internet at the same time, or some other process was running

- or maybe your internet provider was just having a blonde moment.

If you're measuring speed to the internet, they would probably be much the same unless you have 50Mb broadband or better.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

My download speed from the desk-top machine was 4012 and from the laptop at

2120 kbps. The upload speed from the desk-top was 140 kbps and 740 kpbs from the lap-top. Thes numbers were obtained using the same network software on both machines and connecting to the same servers. Only one machine was connected to the network at a time. When changing servers, the numbers may change but the ratios between each machine reminains pretty constant.

The account is a 10 mbps connection. The ISP says that they do not impose speed restrictions in either direction.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

what software? How did it measure / generate these numbers?

Are you sure? Its very very unlikely you have a symmetric 10 Mbps connection. Most domestic connections have much lower upload rates eg

10Mbps down / 500Kbps up.
Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I used Pure Networks Network Magic. They have a list of servers from which to choose. Other speed rating sites have given very similar results.

Yes, I checked with them twice to be sure. They told me that whatever my hardware could send or receive up to 10 Mbps they would handle it. I do know that the modems have restrictions on what they are capable of but I would like to know why the wireless is faster than the hard wired unit.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

"Worn out Retread" hath wroth:

My guess is that you are in Germany. Try one of these sites:

It is unlikely that your unspecified cable ISP will give you

10Mbits/sec of exclusive bandwidth for the duration of the test. As speeds increase, such ISP's tend to use QoS to limit the bandwidth allowed to individual users and individual services. Some ISP's offer "burst" bandwidth, which offers substantial increases in bandwidth, but only for the first few minutes/seconds.

How do the numbers change? Are repetative tests yielding substantially different numbers?

That's not a good answer. All broadband ISP's limit both up and down bandwidth. Cable is a shared medium, where other users on the system will dramatically reduce your available bandwidth. All this says is that the ISP is not willing to disclose what service level he's delivering and what results you should expect to obtain. That's not suprising as there is no way the ISP can guarantee the full

10Mbits/sec bandwidth. They certainly won't guarantee 10Mbits/sec upload speeds as this would inspire everyone to setup servers. In addition, the ISP's backbone bandwidth is probably symmetrical. The home and business users get the bulk of the download bandwidth. The server farm and co-located customers use the bulk of the outgoing bandwidth (for servers). It all balances nicely, but would not work if they supplied you the full 10Mbit/sec upload.

I have no idea. You didn't answer *HOW* you are testing. It could be something as simple as the difference in performance between the laptop and the desktop. If the faster laptop has an ethernet port, try the test comparing its wireless and wired performance.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, I am not in Germany. I am in Canada.

No. The numbers are quite constant.

This is not a "cable" connection. It is broadband over the telephone lines.

I am using the testing facility of the networking software. I have also used speed testing urls such as what you provided. The numbers remain pretty constant.

It is probably a performance difference between the laptop and the desktop which is an older machine.

Reply to
Worn out Retread

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.