Going Wireless, want help in layman terms

I have an RV, trailer, want to move my desk top in it, so as to be able to connect to WIFI hot spot. I am using Linksys products.

I have a Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G), installed in the DT.

I have a Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) in my house connected to the cable modem.

I have the high gain antenna (HGA7T) installed on the Router.

I have on order another high gain antenna (Trendnet TEWIAO6D) for the PCI adapter.

I have every thing working while in my house, antennas only a foot apart. I expect to move the PC out to the camper after receiving the other High Gain antenna. I also have a PCTEL WiFi Seeker on order, that I will use to insure that the range of the wireless router is adequate.

Wireless Network Settings Network name (SSID xxxxxxx Network Key (WEP/WAP Key); xxxxxx Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0 Network Authentication Type: open Data Encryption Type: WEP Connection Type: ESS Key Index: blank

Now where I need some help is in two areas:

What is needed to set up a printer that normally plugs in to the USB port to make it wireless.

How do I obtain access from a hot spot at a truck stop or some other place. If they say I need an access code or pass word, what do I do to apply them.

Remember the subject layman terms, I am almost computer literate.

Reply to
William Boyd
Loading thread data ...

From what you have listed, you could teach people here a thing or two.

If Linksys doesn't offer a Wireless G USB Printserver then you started with the wrong brand. To say it another way, you should stay with the same brand to get the best results.

If it is an open public hotspot you won't have a problem, just scan for availible connections and connect. If it is a pay hotspot , then you will talk to the owner and they will tell you how to connect.

Reply to
Stop Humpin' My Leg Dawg!!

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.