Wireless Security Questions

I have a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway, for my home wireless ADSL setup. The other computers are a laptop with a Linksys WPC54G Notebook Adapter and another desktop with a Linksys WMP54G v4 Wireless-G PCI Adapter. All computers are running Windows XP SP2.

I have tried setting up a wireless security system, but have had lots of problems. The Gateway offers WPA Pre-Shared Key, WPA Radius, Radius and WEP security choices. The notebook offers WPA-Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2-Personal, WPA2-Enterprise, WEP and LEAP.

Which ones are mutually compatible?

I tried setting up WEP just to see if I could get something to work, but had lots of problems. The setup would work until one of the wireless computers went into sleep mode, then this computer would drop its connection and not be able to get it back short of keying in the encryption pass phrase again.

Any suggestions, anyone. Thanks in advance, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon
Loading thread data ...

You can keep freeloaders off your WIFI network with our free blocking software at

formatting link
You should also set up WEP or WPA to keep the serious hackers out.

Reply to
myWIFIzone

too bad it doesn't also block annoying spam - then we'd be free from your incessant unwanted solicitations. it was particularly amusing when you posted your ad to one of the macintosh newsgroups last month - your software does not work on a mac.

not that it matters, since your software doesn't do anything more than what a typical base station already does. according to the description on your webpage, it uses mac address filtering and static ip numbers to keep people out. even more surprising is that something that touts security only supports wep - your product claims wpa 'will be added in a later release.' it also phones home.

in other words, it is nothing special and is trivial to circumvent by even a minimally motivated intruder.

Reply to
nospam

Thanks, all who responded. I think I finally have my home network secured...reasonably well. I managed to get it all working together with WPA Pre-Shared Key, WPA-Personal and TKIP Algorithms. The network has been up and running all day and seems stable, even coming out of sleep mode. Of course the connection is dropped when the computer goes into sleep mode, but it picks up the connection within a few seconds, after coming out of sleep mode.

I was amazed at the differences between Linksys produces that I used in these three computers. The laptop offers WPA-Personal and either TKIP or AES Encryption. My desktop computers offer WPA Pre_Shared with only TKIP Encryption. None of the products offered any explanation as to how to achieve a compatible setup with the others.

Now, I'm wondering if I should hide my SSID. Is there any advantage to doing this? It would seem that I'm secure, even if my SSID is visible, and hiding it would not really "HIDE" it from a determined hacker.

Reply to
Gordon

Use WPA Pre-Shared Key for your simple home network. Make the key a combination of letters, numbers and symbols.

Reply to
Dan

Hiding the SSID really will not deter a seasoned hacker. So you don't have to.

Reply to
Dan

As they say - don't knock it if you haven't tried it! We don't know of any "base station" that alerts your desktop in real time or redirects intruders to a captive portal. BTW - we now support WPA.

Reply to
myWIFIzone

I like the potential look of

formatting link
which implements a remote RADIUS server.

Presently free for one AP and 5 users.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Welcome to the reason why wireless security is in a mess with lots of products offering different authentication/crypto offerings that in the end you sometimes have to choose the weakest again of WEP!

No point. It doesn't add to security any more than painting your whole house green to blend in with the lawn and trees.

Anyone with a laptop and a pre-built linux CD can find you and all that you end up doing is broadcasting on a channel that others can't find and end up picking the same channel as you and getting potential interference.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.