Use AdHoc or Wireless card and router

I'm still trying to figure out what is going to work and was wondering if someone can answer these questions. To keep it simple I have a PC in my shop "A" that needs to connect to my wireless signal and internet connection "B" in my house using high gain antenna and then I still need my viewsonic display to be able to talk to computer "A" while I'm in the shop . I have several options available and was wondering what others would do. Getting a signal from "B" works wth both a wireless G card and using a router running DD-WRT in Client mode. But what is the best way to allo my viewsonic monitor to see the computer in my shop "A"

1) Would it be best to just use my wireless card and set it up as an AdHoc network?

2) Can a wirless card in a PC in ADHOC still connect to a remote wireless router and then reshare the connection locally?

3) I managed to get my card to prodcast in AdHoc last night but it was using my PC name as the SSID and wanted a WEP key that I didn't set. How can I shut off the WEP key request or change it.

4) Which way would get a better signal. A Wireless G card in my PC with high gain unidirectional antenna or using my Linksys router running DD-WRT in client mode with the high gain unidirectional antenna.

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

Sorry another question. Is it possible to use a wireless card and a hardwired connection to a router at the same time? Can I use the wireless card to get my internet signal and the router to connecting my smartdisplay?

Reply to
HotRod

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:03:13 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

Only with painful manual editing of routing tables.

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:49:29 -0400, "HotRod" wrote in :

Why not use VNC instead to access one PC from the other? That's how I manage my network server, which has no display of its own.

Reply to
John Navas

I own three smart displays that use "RPC" to connect to windows XP machines over my wireless connection. Before I started this trip each computer was harwired to a wireless router running XP Pro. When I'm sitting at the PC coding it works as a monitor but when I start running the code on a machine I'll get up and take the monitor with me, this gives me the chance to edit the code and make small changes while standing beside the machine. BUT ever since I installed the wireless card I can't get the Smart Display to connect to the computer once it's undocked.

The monitor's are also nice for working on my deck with drink in hand ;-)

Reply to
HotRod

John I've setup my AdHoc network and even though my PC can see the AdHoc network "RED" and my SmartDisplay can see the PC I can't seem to make the connections talk. Anyways, what I'm really wondering is... Is it possible to have the PC (w/ wireless card) in the shop connect to a Wireless Router in the house but also still allow other computers in the shop to connect to the ADHoc network and share the internet connection? OR would the PC need to we hardwired to the router?

Reply to
HotRod

In spite of the "A" and "B" description, I don't know what you have set up. I'd guess that you have a PC with a WiFi card that connects to the desired router, but your handheld device can't connect to that same router because of lack of a good antenna.

You want to connect your handheld to the PC for RDC (identical to the VNC that John suggested, for this purpose).

No. You can't do that ;-)

The WiFi card in the PC needs to be in infrastructure mode to connect to the router. It cannot simultaneously be in adhoc mode to connect with the handheld.

You could add a WiFi bridge so that there was a good WiFi signal in the shop that both PC and handheld would be able to reach.

Or you could add a second wifi gadget to the PC. That second device would be in adhoc mode to connect to the handheld. It would accept the RDC connections, and it could also be used with Internet Connection Sharing so that the handheld could access the internet via the desktop's other WiFi connection.

Two WiFi devices can be on different networks in the same PC. Not a problem. You might want different WiFi channels to avoid some interference, but I haven't even bothered with that in some small trials.

I think it was John that had just such a setup on a sailboat. One PC was cable to an external antenna to the dockside WiFi, and had a USB "dongle" in adhoc mode for sharing that connection with a laptop that couldn't connect to the dockside WiFi.

formatting link
covers the "sharing" part.

Reply to
dold

Is this different for Laptops? At work I have my laptop wirelessly conencted to the router but can use a different PC to connect to the laptop in AdHoc mode to share the laptops internet connection. This is basiclly what I need to do at home, I need to ahve the PC connect to a wireless router in the house but need my local monitor to be able to talk to the PC so that it can use RPC to run the wireless display.

Reply to
HotRod

I don't know how that can work. What adapter is in that laptop? What is the output of "ipconfig /all" from a cmd prompt on that laptop?

Reply to
dold

formatting link
"VirtualWiFi allows a user to simultaneously connect his machine to multiple wireless networks using just one WLAN card."

Reply to
dold

Interesting solution, though I've isntalled the software last night I'm not reallys ure how to get everything configured. It's going to take at least a few nights to figure it all out. From waht I've seen it looks like a Virtual connection is made with any wireless SSID that is open.

Reply to
HotRod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.