high gain antenna for WMP54GS pci wireless card

as the topic pretty much says, i have a WMP54GS linksys pci wireless card, and i'm in an area of the house where the signal is very low...so i want to pick up a higher gain antenna. however, i can't find in the manual what type of connector the antenna is...

will this one work? it's the HGA7S high gain antenna for sma connectors

formatting link

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

might also think about a repeater in the area you frequent.

Most folks don't realize that RF is not magically created... without an amp.

The power radiation is constant, but can be "squeezed" to get more distance. A vertical antenna radiates a RF donut - with the antenna thru the hole. If you want more distance, you can "squeeze" the donut flatter, so more RF energy is pushed out.... BUT - anything above or below the donut will get LESS energy. Therefore, if you are NOT at the same horizontal level as your AP, then adding a gain antenna will actually make things worse. ie - wireless AP on main floor, and you are on 2nd floor or basement.

Reply to
P.Schuman

well, my plan was to install third party firmware on the router and increase the power output, and use the high gain antenna to work the signal up...

i have tried the l> might also think about a repeater in the area you frequent.

Reply to
Matt

Just get or make a corner reflector for the pci card.

See mine.

formatting link
Plenty of plans on the net.

My signal strength in a back room 4 brick walls away from the host went from about 40% to mid 90% at 54g.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.