802.11a and 5.8 GHz cordless phone

Stay on a low band channel and you should be fine. 5.8Ghz phones operate in the 5.8 ISM band and indoor wireless lans are in the UNII band an operate at

5.15 to 5.35ghz. The upper band of 802.11a is for outdoor use only, it operates in the 5.7 to 5.8ghz range

satisfactory

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

I have a fair amount experience with Wireless LANs in general, but am looking for some information regarding practical experience using both

802.11a and 5.8 GHz cordless phones in the same area.

I have an access point that supports both 802.11a and b, (no g), and decided that I wanted a two line phone for a home office. I have very satisfactory service from my WLAN using 802.11a, which normally only has 1 or 2 clients in use at a given time, (and is using channel 36 as we speak). I have older cordless phones (900 Mhz) that are reaching the end of their useful life. I've been looking at phones in the 5.8GHz range to avoid the crowded 2.4GHz spectrum. My thought was that the phone operates in the upper range of the

802.11a spectrum, so if I set my AP to use the lower band, then I shouldn't have contention between the two products and would avoid all the usual culprits from the b/g band. Nice theory, but I'm looking for anyone who might have practical experience.

The particular phone I was looking at was a Panasonic 5.8GHz model, (KX-TG6500). The fall back is an AT&T 2.4GHz model that has both a corded and cordless handset, (the E2562, I think...)

Thanks in advance for any practical advice offered.

Reply to
Sean

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.