AOL in the UK and wireless routers/adsl routers

I was at a friends house yesterday trying dearly to set up his wireless network with a Sparkcom Wireless-G adsl modem/router

The network was fine, I was able to ping one machine he was able to ping another etc, we wern't able to share folders on XP but that could probably have easilly been solved.

The problem was when we came to connect to the ADSL connection which he has with AOL

he was currently using a BT voyager 105 USB ADSL modem and it was connecting, I proceeded to try to connect without doing anything to any settings with the ADSL router/Wireless Router

The connection failed

I used the EasySetup.exe to set the username and password of the ADSL on the router and tried again it failed i set the VPI to 0 and the VPC to 38 as told to do so by AOL and had it at PPPoA as told to do so by AOL and set to

Other ISP or LAN as told to do so by AOL

i tried to connect again to AOL and received another error message.

so i tried to set the router back to factory settings and have another go opened up and the username and password were still set as the default on the EasySetup.exe and clicked enter... failed to connet to the router

so i was unable to configure the adsl router/wireless router!

would it be easier returning the sparkcom and getting a ADSL router/wireless router that AOL offer support for as they dont offer full support for the sparkcom.

My friend also had a D-Link Wireless router and was told this was not the right thing for the job? It would have been if he had used the D-link wireless router with a ADSL modem plugged into the WAN port on the D-Link wireless then had a connecton from the ADSL router to the phone line?

this would work yes?

I think this may have been PC world telling him bull sh*t just so he would buy from them.

anyhow any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh the wireless cards in the computers are D-link cards

Reply to
Christo
Loading thread data ...

sorry for top posting.. saves scrolling down

here is the link to the D-Link my friend has

formatting link
cheers again

Chris

Reply to
Christo

If you can set the MTU value in the setup you should be able to get the Sparkcom ADSL router to connect to AOL.

The following should assist you in setting up the router manually;

Assign an AOL login name / password without any parental controls for the router and enter it in the format snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Encapsulation is PPoA (PPP over ATM) MTU size 1400 Multiplexing method VC based VPI 0 VCI 38

Might be worth checking if there is a firmware upgrade for the router before you start.

HTH..

Reply to
John

Thanks for the help, just spoken to friend this morning, has returned the sparkcom, he is going for a thomson speedtouch 570 wireless adsl router, apparantly it is supported technically by AOL

some of the above may be useful if he asks me to configure it for him though

thanks again

Reply to
Christo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.