Can connect to router but not the internet

Hi, all I'm new to this group, I just installed a D-~Link DSL 624T wireless router . I have noe securiety (WEP) set up yet. I can connect to the router ,it assigns an IP !(192.168.xxx.xxx) but i cannot access the internet from either PC or laptop. Anyone know what problem is ? Thanks

Reply to
Damo_Suzuki
Loading thread data ...

On 19 Oct 2006 10:59:57 -0700, "Damo_Suzuki" wrote in :

Can you access the Internet when cabled to the D-Link router? Does the D-Link say it's connected to the Internet?

Reply to
John Navas

HI, Yes one laptop can get the internet when cabledand wireless to the router , but it uses a different IP (89.101.xxx.xxx). I dont know where its getting this . Any ideas?

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
Damo_Suzuki

"Damo_Suzuki" hath wroth:

You have a wiring problem. The ethernet cable from the WAN or Internet port on the DI-624 router goes to the DSL modem ethernet port. The 4 LAN ports go to the various computers.

If you accidentally connect one of the 4 LAN ports to the DSL modem,

*ONE* of the computers will get the IP address that the DI-624 should get from the ISP.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi, I think that might be the problem alright. The wireless router does not have a WAN port for the ethernet cable from the modem. It only has an ADSL port and 4 LAN ports. I presume this means the router is not compatible with a cable modem?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
Damo_Suzuki

Correct. You need a cable-ready router. You have the wrong model.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

What is meant by "an ADSL port" then? RJ45? On the router?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Hi, Ye , the ADSL port is a normal phone port (RJ45 i yhink). I'm going to get a replacement router tomorrow thanks for the help

Warren Oates wrote:

Reply to
Damo_Suzuki

the ADSL port is to plug a phone cable into. Normally RJ11 I think (six-pin and narrower than RJ45).

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.