SIP Compatible USB ATA?

I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.) Where can I find an adapter (ATA) that connects to the USB port of my computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog phone to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.

I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using it with any VOIP provider that uses open standards like SIP. I will install an SIP softphone on my computer.

Thank you,

Neil Salem, MA USA

Reply to
Neil-Salem-MA-USA
Loading thread data ...

Is there any reason you can't use a normal ATA on an Ethernet port of a router..? USB is not the most reliable means of communication at the best of times and I have never understood why anyone would want to run a computer to make/receive phone calls.

There are devices that will do what you want, but I don't recall the names of any of them off by heart, but I still don't get why you would want to do it.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Haven't heard of such a beast outside of Skype but maybe this will help:

formatting link
Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

There's actually a very good reason for my wanting to use a computer, a softphone, and the USB port. Phil Zimmerman has just released his ZPhone and I wish to use it in combination with an SIP softphone and an SIP provider.

ZPhone runs in the IP stack and establishes a peer to peer encryption session with the called party. The encryption is extremely robust, and more importantly, the encryption source code is available for public review. One can see for himself that there are no back doors in the ZPhone software.

Yes, some VOIP service providers use encryption, including Skype, but their implementation of the encryption is kept secret. Others cannot review their source code to look for back doors or alternate decryption keys.

Also, with ZPhone, since the end points of the VOIP call are performing the encryption, any attempt by agencies of the government to use the provider's equipment to spy on citizens' private conversations will fail, since the Zphone encryption does not happen in the provider's infrastructure.

Neil Salem, MA USA

Reply to
Neil-Salem-MA-USA

Woops ..."ZPhone" should have been "Zfone". My apologies to Phil Zimmerman.

Neil Salem, MA USA

Reply to
Neil-Salem-MA-USA

If you run a softphone, why don't you just use an inexpensive analog headset?

The USB device, in order to work, should be supported by the specific softphone. Here they say that TigerJet-based USB devices can work with X-Lite and other SIP softphones through a "TJinit Utility" available for download:

formatting link
However, I never tried it.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.