Cordless phone via ATA via RJ45 router with no provider possible?

The easiest way to make free calls to other people using your ATA or other SIP-compliant VoIP gear is to sign up for a number at Free World Dialup

formatting link

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

Not a Problem thats what most people do.

Well the answer to this is a yes / no on one. Put simply yes you could make P2P calls without a Voip Provider, BUT why would you want to, Firstly it will make it dificult for people to call you, and you wont be able to get the benifits of reduced cost toll and International voip to pstn calls. Most SIP suppliers dont charge any "line Rental" just charge for off net calls, look for suppliers that have good peering to other voip providers.

Ian

FWD 43143

Reply to
Ian

Or

formatting link
if you want a UK number (you do need to use a British based IP address if you want a normal geographic number in the UK though, but it can be used from anywhere).

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I'm new at this, so if anyone could provide a little information that would be great.

I'd like to use my cordless phone to place voip calls so I know I need a ATA analogue telephone adapter. I'd like to plug the ATA into my Dlink router via an ethernet RJ45 port so I don't need the computer running in order to place a call. It also means other family members are not tied down to my computer as with USB/Headset software solutions.

The thing is, can I then make a P2P call to another voip user if I don't have a provider? Must I absolutely have a provider if I don't want to use a software solution or a USB solution?

Thankyou.

Reply to
ChrisR

It has to be compatible with their software and protocols, but that usually gives you a lot of options.

If the provider sends you an ATA, it will come pre-configured. Otherwise you have to configure it (using a web-based or phone-based interface) with settings they give you.

Yes, you'll have to dial by IP address in that case. And if they are behind NAT (e.g., a home router) then it probably won't work unless they have made special arrangements on their router. In this case you are better off using FWD as I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's free and easy.

If the provider is far away from you then there can be noticeable latency.

For instance, I live in Malaysia but buy SIP minutes from a provider in the USA. For calls to the USA and Europe, and even Japan and Australia, this is no problem. However, when I call back to countries near me (such as Thailand, or Malaysia itself) the delay is quite perceptible because the information is traveling twice around the world over apparently high-latency links.

So even though calls from Malaysia to Malaysia using VoIP via the USA are cheaper than calls directly dialed from my Malaysian phone, I still end up direct-dialing because the delay is so annoying.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

The ATA has the info programmed into it.

No The ATA is the device that will let you make the call

No realy The important thing is latancy, So if you intend to call people mainly in NZ use an NZ supplier , But for example if you are going to use it to contact people in the UK use a UK supplier get a UK number and that way they call you on a UK number IF they dont have voip and you can call them at local rate if they dont have voip or you do a P2P call

Have a google the are some very good voip companies in NZ

formatting link
are down south in Dunedin for example.

Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm having trouble visualising how it all fits together. For instance,

do I need an ATA adapter which is specific or constructed by a particular provider? If not, how does the ATA which is plugged into my router know the ip of the provider or where to send the data?

If I don't have a provider, how can I then make a P2P call to another voip user? The ATA is just a digitizing device and knows nothing else..?

Does it matter where the provider is located? I'm in New Zealand...

Thanks again.

Reply to
ChrisR

Thanks Miguel,

that was very useful!

Reply to
ChrisR

Oh, and if I may, what ATA should I be looking at for the straighfoward RJ45 setup I have in mind? Where can I find such a thing as there don't appear to be any availabe in NZ.

Reply to
ChrisR

these move fasts..

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

For crying out loudl will you *please* stop spamming this group..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.