local company versus skype

I'm looking at , and for making calls to regular phones in vancouver, BC, canada. I'll gladly accept recomendations :)

SKYPE: I like the credit idea for SkypeOut, but is down at the moment.

DIGITAL VOICE: $20/month, first month free, free "Digital Voice phone adapter," according to a pamphlet. why the hardware, why not just headset with mic?

PEOPLE LINE/HOME I-LINE: $10/month, nice price, like the flat rate and not dealing with an intermediary.

I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting from an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable modem...what number appears on the recipients caller-id?

Mainly I'm looking for advice, over-looked options, different companies, etc. I need to be able to call "regular" local numbers. At present I have no need for long-distance or international, so that's not a factor. What sort of hardware makes sense, just something from , or does this "Digital Voice phone adapter" make sense, particularly since it's free?

thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir
Loading thread data ...

for me, that's not a bug, that's a feature! ;)

thanks

Reply to
hawat.thufir

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: Snip || I don't quite get where the call originates from as I'm connecting || from an 802.11b network adapter to a router to a (shaw) cable || modem...what number appears on the recipients caller-id? || snip

With SkypeOut, "Unknown" appears on the CLID Unit

Reply to
The Cable Guy

dc wrote: [..]

adater.

ahhhhhhh, it's not so much of a benefit for me then, since i'm connected with 802.11b wirelessly (USB network adapter to router to cable modem).

currently the phone adapter's connected to the ethernet jack of the computer, while the 802.11b network adapter (NIC) is connected to a USB port. if the ethernet NIC is enabled, will that enable the phone adapter?

the only light blinking on the phone adapter is the power light. the ethernet light and the lights for both phone jacks are dead, so there's no traffic on the ethernet NIC.

The phone adapter: , which is free for thirty days :)

thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

I have digital voice, great quality. It uses the sipura phone adater.

formatting link
Your computer doesn't need to be on to have a dial tone. I really like, much cheaper than the phone company.

Reply to
dc

dc wrote: [..]

I don't follow what you mean by a "cross-over cable," there's an ethernet cable running from the phone adapter to the ethernet NIC's jack. The cable is RJ-11, I believe, it looks like a wider phone connection.

(No luck so far with enabling the ethernet NIC, it seems to disable the

802.11b NIC for some reason. After some more googling I'll take that to a different group if I can't get it working, since it's tangential here.)

thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

it sounds like it should work the only thing to make sure is that your using a cross-over cable from the phone adapter to the NIC in the PC, and the NIC should probably also be enabled. hope it helps. dc

Reply to
dc

Try a "crossover" connection: it allows two NIC to talk to each other. OR look up the specs for your TA (telephone adapter) and see what is needed.

Yes, That'll be a RJ-45 (looks quite similar, but wider).

First, try it without the wireless connection.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Heimo Hetl wrote: [..]

more

it'd probably have to connect to the router, to which I don't have access to.

[..]

I don't have physical access to the WLAN router, just 802.11b wireless.

thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

Rick Merrill wrote: [..]

other.

[..]

the telephone adapter:

I don't follow you at all on this "crossover" connection. the 802.11b NIC is of the external USB type, it plugs into a USB port on the computer. The ethernet NIC is internal with an RJ-45 (thanks for the correction) jack. Googling produces this factoid:

" Ethernet crossover cables are most often used in home networks when connecting two ethernet computers without a hub. An Ethernet crossover cable has it's send and receive wires crossed. When using a hub or switch, this is automatically done for you."

I don't see how to connect the two NIC's, although the're both connected to the same computer. Since the 802.11b NIC plugs into USB, neither a hub nor a switch would work..?

under "Network and Dial-up Connections":

NIC #1: Local Area Connection LAN enabled SMC EZ Connect Wireless USB Adapter (2662W)

NIC #2: Local Area Connection2 LAN Network cable unplugged SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

So, I should remove the 802.11b NIC first? I'll give that a go.

thanks,

Thufir

(note: I have a virtually identical thread "enable second NIC for VOIP" in microsoft.public.win2000.networking)

Reply to
hawat.thufir

formatting link

oh, i see. i wasn't reading very carefully, it's like a cordless phone, but the base station is the 802.11b router, or something. that's not up my alley, i'm trying to do without any fancy hardware. sounds intrigueing, though.

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

These phones don't require any physical connection; they use wifi (that's sort of the point).

However, I haven't heard from many people who were terribly thrilled with their performance.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Have a look at the Zyxel WLAN IP-Phone . This will work with any SIP-compliant carrier (which is more or less anybody except skype), give you a convenient cordless phone in your

802.11b network, a local number to receive calls, good rates, and it will work with your PC being switched off.

Doesn't your WLAN router have a LAN port? You could attach an analog phone adapter there.

cheers Heimo

Reply to
Heimo Hetl
[..]

which I

Austria/EU,

choice of

I only have the phone adapter free for one month, so around April 1st I'll switch to another company. thanks for the tip on xten and SIP, i'll look into those :)

ahhh, thank you for stating the problem. Yes, I'll google on making the PC act as a router between the NIC's; I don't think I stated the problem very well.

[..]

I don't see where the crossover cable comes into play here: where does it plug in? the 802.11b NIC doesn't have an RJ-45 port and the phone adapter only has one RJ-45 port, which connects to the ethernet NIC, presumabely.

thanks for clearing some stuff up :)

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

See:

formatting link
is how you can make cross over cables. when you connect to a hub, it does the crossing over for you. but when you are going fron nic to nic you need a cross over cable for it to work. I am sure that this will get you up and running.

Reply to
dc

that's it, exactly.

well, as for real-world performance, i've yet to try one myself. Currently I use a Grandstream ATA486 which is hooked up to a RJ45 port on my LAN hub (behind my cable modem and firewall/router) in connection with a cheapo Motorola DECT cordless, and it works perfectly, just like a plain old telephone should.

If you want to use your PC (with headset) as a phone, have a look at X-Lite from It's a free softphone for Win/Mac/Linux which I tried on Win2000 and MacOS X. Both worked fine. It does SIP, so you can use it with any SIP provider that suits your taste. (I'm in Vienna, Austria/EU, so I don't know the companies you mentioned, nor any alternative providers in Canada...) Generally, I would recommend going with SIP rather than a proprietary protocol like skype, because this leaves you with a choice of both service providers and handsets.

In case you do want some external IP phone or analog phone adapter box, you will have to set up your Win2000 PC as a router between the WLAN NIC and the Ethernet NIC. I am sure someone in the Windows-related newsgroups will be able to help you with that.

As for cabling, you may or may not need a crossover cable, depending on your Ethernet NIC. If your NIC is autosensing you won't need it, but it won't hurt. So, if you get one anyway, you're on the safe side.

cheers Heimo

Reply to
Heimo Hetl

so instead of using a regular cable to connect the phone adapter and ethernet NIC, it's a crossover cable?

ok...I'll check this out.

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

Christopher from Linksys support says I need to enable the PC as a router, but that they don't support that.

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

installing the

[..]

What's meant by installing the second NIC? the 802.11b USB NIC utility and driver were installed from a CD. Are you referring to the internal ethernet NIC? The ethernet NIC was physically installed prior to the

802.11b NIC.

Thanks,

Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

the crossover cable would be the cable that goes from the phone adapter into the ethernet NIC. It would be the same as going from the phone adapter to a hub then to the ethernet NIC. Think of the crossover cable as a single port hub. (1 in, 1 out)

Reply to
dc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.