Making Phone Extensions

I have a small business and I would like to find a cheap way to make phone extensions for all my employees under one phone number like

555-5555 ex 2 and things like that and I am wondering if a systems like this would work on VOIP like Vonage.

Thanks.

Reply to
jnmhorn
Loading thread data ...

Depending on the number of extensions you are looking for you might want to check out the Asterisk PBX system. You take a PC, mix in a circuit card or two, add software, and go from there. The link to their web page is

formatting link

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Sounds like you need a phone system. A small KSU like Avaya(Lucent) Partner will do just fine. You may not be able to get away with just one line because if someone's on that line, no one else can use it, but, depending on the size of your organization, you can do with as little as two or three. eBay is full of used and refurbished phone systems that can be had for couple hundred $ or less. Plus $100-some for feature phones, and you'll have extensions for your employees, even with voicemail. Good luck!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Delivered via

formatting link
formatting link
no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.telecom.tech - 1653 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
telecom-gear.com

Many people don't realize that with these VOIP "solutions", if you lose power, say in a storm or an earthquake, you're SOL as far as phone service goes. And heaven help you if you have an emergency and need to call 911! I think if I went to VOIP, the only thing I'd use it for would be long distance dialing.

In any case, you need more than one phone line in the case of above. So if they're separate numbers, then callers can call each number direct. Or a PBX could route calls to different people in the office.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Might aso add that the software is free.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Good point, I should have mentioned it.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

All my routing gear is on a UPS with a one hour runtime. Granted, it's not the 48 hour float I'd get from circuit switched. Rhode Island is also the first state served by Vonage that's had E-911 for many months now. NY is next.

In the event of any natural disaster I'd say you'd be hard pressed to even draw dial tone. Considering that most CO's are designed 4:1 even in the best of circumstances the chances are slim.

Reply to
Tony P.

You are correct. The state has the infrastructure, Verizon only provides the Intrado lookup.

Reply to
Tony P.

ITSM that's because the 911-PSAP system in RI is owned by the state, not one of the Illegitimate Stepchildren...

Reply to
David Lesher

Here's an example of what you dialplan would look like if you used Asterisk

formatting link

[inbound]

exten => s,1,Answer exten => s,2,Wait(1) exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,10 exten => s,4,ResponeTimeout,10 exten => s,5,BackGround(mygreeting)

include => myextensions

[myextensions]

exten => _XXXX,1,Macro(staff,${EXTEN}) ; just number your ip phones

[voicemail]

exten => _69XXXX,1,VoicemailMain,${EXTEN:2}@defaul exten => _69XXXX,2,Hangup

exten => 6969,1,VoicemailMain

[macro-staff]

exten => s,1,Playback,transfer exten => s,2,Dial(SIP/${ARG1}|20|r) exten => s,3,Voicemail(u${ARG1}) ; plays unavailable message exten => s,103,Voicemail(b${ARG1}) ; plays busy message

[outbound]

exten => _1N.,1,Dial(IAX2/user@NuFone/${EXTEN})

Now that doesnt look all that difficult does it?

We have inbound, outbound and your extensions. Of course you can use FXS cards or channel banks , T1's E1's SIP, etc with Asterisk.

If you have any questions reply here but be sure to cc snipped-for-privacy@nufone.net as I rarely check this thread and have been out of the forum/newsgroup help mode for a long time.

-Greg

IM: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

NuFone is 2 cents/minute for US and Canada.

Reply to
shido

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.