Vonage VOIP with Wi-Fi ?

Anyone have experience with Vonage VOIP service and Wi-Fi?

I would like to use this service while on the road during my business travels, from internet cafes (starbucks, library, etc) and Hotels that offer Wi-Fi (marriott). Just curious what equipment is necessary, etc

thanks!

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

At work we have a VPN server for our sales and tech people to be able to connect to our network when traveling. Several of the guys have vonage (for them selves, in their area) on the VPN server, and just burrow in via a VPN client on their laptops/PDA's (or really whacky, one guy has an iPAQ PDA (4551 both wifi and bluetooth built in) and a Bluetooth BT-250 Wireless headset. He used the built in wifi to connect to hotspots, and then the built in bluetooth to connect to the wireless bluetooth earpiece/headset, and then put it in his pocket... used to drive us nuts when he'd be sitting in a coffee shop/hotspot etc with us, and say things into the air (actually into the mike boom we couldn't see) things like "Yes dear, whatever you say dear".... Technology...ARGGH!) Seriously though, we had a few guys that were married with kids, and used to talk for hours to the family via the hotels network

Reply to
Peter Pan

--

throughout the

landline

dial-up).

business

Probably the vonage softphone, it will turn your laptop into a phone, I beleve they are making the software for some PDAs, plus they introduce a wi-fi phone F-1000

Reply to
Airhead

Just as info - Vonage is going to release a WiFi phone - that you can take anywhere. I can't find the Vonage press release / article - but they are still working on things like security, etc.

Reply to
riggor

I have had immense success with SKYPE:

formatting link
I use it at work to contact associated academic organisations throughout the globe and the clarity/response of voice is certainly as good as landline communications, (even if the party at the other end is using dial-up).

In addition, this is a great portal for making PC to Landline communications, as the rates, (from the UK, anuyway), are amazingly inexpensive. I'm not, by the way, an employee of said company - Just a huge fan/user!

Reply to
Anthony Greenwood

I have had immense success with SKYPE: I use it at work to contact associated academic organisations throughout the globe and the clarity/response of voice is certainly as good as landline communications, (even if the party at the other end is using dial-up).

In addition, this is a great portal for making PC to Landline communications, as the rates, (from the UK, anuyway), are amazingly inexpensive. I'm not, by the way, an employee of said company - Just a huge fan/user!

Reply to
Anthony Greenwood

I spend a few days playing with a Zyxel 2000w. I think the term is called "searching for dialtone". It would work with any free hot spot that did NOT require a web based login/passwd, or offer some kind of web based authorization cerimony. The phone has no way to get past the prompts. The inability to do the login/passwd sign-in makes the phone seriously useless for road warrior use. However, for an overpriced cordless phone replacement, it will function. For home use, methinks one can currently do better with a cheapo VoIP network "adapter", and an ordinary 900MHz cordless phone.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There are already WIFI VoIP phones on the market. Cisco makes one, at exorbitant price of course. Zyxel 2000W is one I would like, but it's still bit too expensive for me. pulverinovations.com has one, Senao does one too. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Another alternative to Vonage and Skype is

formatting link
. I've used it for a couple years now and like it. It's standards based and free. I like it. I have not tried it over wifi, though.

Harold

Reply to
harold

I suppose my more specific question is can I use Vonage with a laptop and Wi-Fi (or Home PC connected to Wi-Fi net: university dorm room).

I do NOT want a "cordless phone VOIP handset" type device, I want to be able to plug a regular phone into whatever device, which in turn is plugged into my laptop/Home PC, which is connected via internal PCI card to the Wi-Fi network.

thanks!

Reply to
Steve

Yup, have it in my motel room right now. (yes, I have a wireless network in my motel room)

Reply to
Peter Pan

In theory YES, in practice maybe, and might not be as convenient as you think.

1. Does your uni block the ports (Vonage) VoIP needs (probably 5060, 5004,
8000) ? If yes, you have problem.

1. You can certainly use your laptop with softphone like X-ten (headset helps) using std SIP VoIP provider. (I am not sure about Vonage, hear things about locked adaptors, I would find another provider).

2. You could use USB VoIP phone.

1. If you really need the to use VoIP adaptor and/or VoIP phone, you would have to plug it into your laptops ethernet port and set it so it can share the wifi internet access. You may have problems if your wifi access is limited to your laptops MAC address etc. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.