D-Link DPH-50U [telecom]

I've been given a D-Link DPH-50U, which appears to be a way to connect a "500" set to Skype.

I'd like to know if this is worth having, and what experience readers have had with "Skype Out" service, which is required to make calls from the phone connected to the D-Link DPH-50U.

I'd also like to know if the unit can be used for other services.

TIA.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

I used one for a number of years to tie my old land-line to Skype. I remember you have to watch out for driver updates from Microsoft that would kill the functionality of the box until you could figure out how go back to the older drivers. That was on a Windows 7 system as I recall.

As for the land-line port you can plug in any IP phone line (that supports a Ma-Bell style phone) into that and be able to make calls on the IP phone or Skype. I seem to remember having Skype and magicjack hooked into the box and both worked just fine until I pulled the plug on magicjack.

I have not had the box hooked up since I killed the land-line and went IP phone and cellular only.

Other than the one time I let Microsoft drop the wrong driver update on the box during some automatic Microsoft updates it worked just fine.

Reply to
news

Hi Bill,

Up front, I don't know anything about that D-Link DPH-50U but I thought I could help out due to my knack searching for info.

I casually Googled "D-Link DPH-50U manusl" and there are 2 PDF versions of its manual per the following first 2 search hits:

V1, 1.7MB, 43 pages:

formatting link

V1.1 (much better), 11.8MB, 48 pages: ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DPH-50U/REVA/DPH-50U_MANUAL_1.10_EN.PDF

and the following Amazon URL was the 3rd hit from the search:

formatting link

where there are 241 reviews with these ratings:

5 star 65 4 star 57 3 star 36 2 star 25 1 star 58 --- 241 reviews with the following comment highlighted in the sidebar:

"Worst Product I've ever purchased on here."

Note the product has to be plugged into a USB port on a computer that's running 24/7/365 if you desire continuous telephony service.

Sorry for the potentially bad news.

Thad

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.