D-Link DI-624 Problem

yeah that router is a piece of shit.

dont know why people still buy them.

switch to a linksys wrt54g

cheap and good

Reply to
Jorge Padrone
Loading thread data ...

I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. I have upgraded the firmware to Ver. 2.70, but my problem was the same with earlier versions of firmware.

When I start my laptop and connect via the WLAN to PokerStars.com, I get many and frequent disconnects (every one or two minutes). If I go to the D-Link setup wizard and go to any menu and just restart the router (without making any changes in the setup), PokerStars works just fine - no disconnects. It seems to work fine until I turn off the laptop, then I have to go through the same process of restarting the router to get PokerStars to stay connected. It is obviously a real bother to have to restart the router everytime I want to use the laptop. Any thoughts on why I have this problem? Would getting different router (LinkSys, or something else) possibly solve this problem?

Thanks for any comments / suggestions.

Reply to
Chuck

Contact DLink for the problem or / and email then for this issue

Reply to
Midjet

I beg to differ. The DI-624 (Rev C) has served my wireless needs better than any other wireless router I've tried and, believe me, I've tried a lot. I don't experience the frequent drops as reported by some DI-624 owners. Along with my favorite notebook card (Netgear WG511T), the DI-624 has truly proved to be an awesome device. Now to Chuck's dilemma: Chuck, did you experience your problem prior to updating the firmware to version 2.70? Speaking of version 2.70, where did you download it from? D-link's US site only has firmware up to version 2.53 (beta) for DI-624 Rev C, up to version

1.28 for Rev B and up to version 1.24 for Rev A. If you did not, reset the router to it's default settings then reload the firmware. Afterwards, reboot the router. That *should* take care of your problem. Take care.
Reply to
Doug Jamal

I missed the above portion of your post when I replied earlier. Sorry.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Aye, Aye, Captain Midjet. They said to reflash the firmware, uplug the router, and walk around it three times, counter clockwise, plug it back in, and try it again. This didn't help, so I came here. What is your next suggestion?

Midjet wrote:

Reply to
Chuck

Doug - I got Ver. 2.70 from the website link in the setup menu for the DI-624. It is apparently pretty new - I think it was dated 8/31/05.

One thing I didn't do is reset the router to the default settings prior to installing the new firmwear. The installation instructions state that "Upgrading the firmware will not change any of your system settings", so I didn't think it would be necessary to reset to the default settings before doing the firmwear update. I guess I could try this, just for kicks. Do you think it would work if I saved the settings, reflashed the firmware, and then reinstalled the settings (as opposed to manually going through the whole setup procedure again)?

Chuck

Doug Jamal wrote: Now to Chuck's dilemma: Chuck, did you

Reply to
Chuck

I agree. The new version is 2.70 straight from DLink's web site.

From your original posting, it seems that the problem occurs only with one site, which looks from its name that it might be a gaming site. Is it possible that when on Pokerstars.com that you need to be set as a server or that running the game qualifies as a Special Application with the router requiring some tinkering with the router setup? I'm just guessing as this is way above my knowledge of routers and networking stuff but maybe the following applies. The fact that you initially connect but have to reset frequently seems to me to be that one end of your gaming application tries to check to see that the other end is still there every now and then--and if it can't get through, you disconnect.

From D-Link's Help files:

Special Applications Some applications require multiple connections, such as Internet gaming, video conferencing, Internet telephony and others. These applications have difficulties working through NAT (Network Address Translation). If you need to run applications that require multiple connections, specify the port normally associated with an application in the "Trigger Port" field, select the protocol type as TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) or UDP (User Datagram Protocol), then enter the public ports associated with the trigger port to open them for inbound traffic. At the bottom of the screen, there are already defined well-known special applications. To use them, click on the edit icon and enable the service. Name - This is the name referencing the special application. Trigger Port - This is the port used to trigger the application. It can be either a single port or a range of ports. Trigger Type - This is the protocol used to trigger the special application. Public Port - This is the port number on the WAN side that will be used to access the application. You may define a single port or a range of ports. You can use a comma to add multiple ports or port ranges. Public Type - This is the protocol used for the special application.

DMZ If you have a computer that cannot run Internet applications properly from behind the device, then you can allow the computer to have unrestricted Internet access. Enter the IP address of that computer as a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) host with unrestricted Internet access. Adding a client to the DMZ may expose that computer to a variety of security risks; so only use this option as a last resort.

Virtual Server The device can be configured as a virtual server so that remote users accessing services such as Web or FTP services via the public (WAN) IP address can be automatically redirected to local servers in the LAN network. Depending on the requested service (TCP/UDP port number), the device redirects the external service request to the appropriate server within the LAN network. At the bottom of the screen, there are already defined well-known virtual services. To use them, click on the edit icon. You will only need to input the LAN IP address of the computer running the service and enable it. Name - The name referencing the virtual service. Private IP - The server computer in the LAN network that will be providing the virtual services. Private Port - The port number of the service used by the Private IP computer. Protocol Type - The protocol used for the virtual service. Public Port - The port number on the WAN side that will be used to access the virtual service. Schedule - The schedule of time when the virtual service will be enabled.

Reply to
Craig

Reply to
Chuck

First, thanks for the tip regarding the new firmware. I entered the DI-624's menu, saved my router's configuration to my hard drive, reset the router to its default settings then updated the firmware. After the router rebooted, I re-entered the router's menu, loaded the saved settings and voila! My DI-624 is performing as flawlessly as it did prior to me updating its firmware. AES cipher is also supported with this update. Anyway, resetting devices to it default settings prior to updating the firmware works best for me. And yes, you can save your settings and reload them after updating the firmware. The more I think about your situation, the more I'm convinced that it is not the DI-624. You stated that you only experience your problem when you turn off the laptop and turn it back on. Therefore it is my understanding that if you never turned off your laptop, your wireless networking experience is excellent. But as soon as you turn off your laptop and turn it back on, you have to reboot the DI-624 in order to be able to network wirelessly without any annoying intermittent reboots. My guess is with your laptop's wireless card or the settings in your notebook. Are you using the D-Link DWL-G650 card? If so, it has a history of not connecting upon startup of Windows. Mine is no different. However, my trusty Netgear WG511T will connect flawlessly everytime. Do you have a spare notebook card to experiment with? Can you use a friend's laptop to see if it acts in the same manner as yours while connected to YOUR DI-624?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Glad this worked for you, but here is a warning I found on the D-Link support website about loading configuration files. This warning was actually in bold red letters!

Note: If the firmware on your wireless router has been upgraded/downgraded, do not load configuration files that were saved using a different version of firmware then you currently have installed. This will not work and could damage the unit.

You make a good point - at least for me, I almost never know when I am trying to solve a software or hardware problem, and exactly which software and hardware is causing the problem. The laptop is a new Dell Inspiron 6000, with an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps) wireless adapter. I should add that when connecting to the internet trough the router on the desktop, through the LAN cable, I get similar disconnects. If I connect the cable modem directly to the desktop, instead of the router, I don't get disconnects, and significantly fewer lost packets. I do appreciate your thoughts. Guess I just keep plugging away. I think I am going to try a different router next, just to make sure it is a router problem. This is fun for a while, but the fun is starting to where off quickly!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Being that you are also experiencing the disconnects via ethernet cable, reset the DI-624 to its default settings. If you have file & print sharing on your notebook and other attached PCs, temporarily disable them PRIOR to resetting to the router's default settings. Once you've reset the router to its default settings, observe your connected PCs for lost connections. Do this for about 15 minutes or so. What I'm specifically looking for is to see whether or not you lose connections prior to a screensaver being activated and/or after your computer(s) have gone into standby mode. If this is the case and if your PC and notebook cards allow, go into the card's configuration and disable power-saving mode. By the way, I was aware of the dangers of loaded a previous firmware's config. data. Still, I'm a tinkerer and love to push things to the limit. (smile) Besides, I've been blessed up to this point. Anyway, let me know what happens. If you've had enough of the troubleshooting and the challenge to overcome your dilemma has peaked then I recommend the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS wireless router. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Doug, I really appreciate your persistence in trying to solve my D-Link problem. Actually, I took your advice and got the Linksys WRT54G router today. It took me about 1/2 hour to read through the documentation and set it up (all my "experience" with the D-Link helped). It seems to work perfectly, including the WPA security (which I never did get working with the D-Link). It could be that the D-Link is defective, but I guess I'll never know. I am going to leave the Linksys connected. I'll probably try to return the D-Link to Office Max, but don't expect much success, since I already removed the UPC code from the box and sent in for the rebate.

It may be my imagination, but internet activities on the laptop, which is on the wireless network, seem much faster with the Linksys than with the D-Link, even though I never did have any of the advanced security features configured on the D-Link. And PartyPoker has not disconnected even once. Guess I've been converted to a Linksys fan, like Jorge Padrone, the first responder to my post, is.

Again, thanks for you thoughts and comments.

Chuck

Doug Jamal wrote:

Anyway, let me know what happens. If you've had enough of the

Reply to
Chuck

No problem, Chuck. Take care and enjoy your new toy. ;)

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.