x255 Access Control Options

Anybody use both the internal access features of an X255 and the external functions of using multiple ACM modules on the same installation?

How did it work out?

Can you have a single code that can operate as an access code at a keypad setup with access functions and then use that same code at another keypad for arming and disarming. Seems to me on the smaller panels a user code can be one or the other (access or arming) but not both.

I've got an application that would max out the access capability of an X255. I know I may have to step up to a different access system, but I just somehow like the idea of using the X255 for this application. Its got an old SK Access 2000 combo panel in their now, and it does work. Its been working pretty reliably for ten years now, but its got about 50 alarm points on its little 16 zone brain. It would sure be nice to throw a panel in there that could handle 200+ zones. I wired the building so it could be done that way. Everything is either home run or run to major j-boxes with plenty of room to tie stuff down and large cables going back to the panel.

The biggest reason for the upgrade though is they want to expand and have a little more modern control of their systems via their lan. It looks like the PCD Manager pair with an X255 would do that for them nicely. The other thing is they just bought another building. They have a dedicated fiber run to the new building so LAN management of a second system would be a piece of cake. The 2nd building would not max out an X255 system, but it would work nicely for it and handle all the doors with a little room for growth.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

If you want the 200 + zones you could use a Bosch G Series 9412GV2. With that you could add a 9210B for door control (up to eight doors). For software you could use RPS Lite or BIZ to link the panels together.

If you want to stick with Napco the Continental Access Control interfaces with the X255. The CA 3000 software isn't that great linking the burg and access together right now, but it does work. Future versions are supposed to be a lot better. I have heard some folks here say they don't care much for Continental Instruments gear, but I have not had many bad experiences with it in the 10 years I have messed with it (the earlier software with the Borland Database engine was terrible). It seems to work fine most places I have seen it in. It isn't Software House gear but it isn't priced like Software House either. For low end gear it's decent stuff that works. It doesn't have funny com issues like KeyScan. The panels aren't as fussy as say Northern gear is. You could spend more and do a lot worse, and not get X255 support.

Reply to
Just Looking

He could also use an ELK-M1G if the app does not require a UL commercial panel.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I've got a call in to Sam over at Continental. Actual Dave (my Napco rep) has a call in to Sam.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.