Napco Netlink Module NL-Mod w/ PCD Manager

Once its setup its kinda neat. Its great for configuring an X255 with card and alarm users. In fact its the best way for the end user when paired with the PCD Manager software.

Its a little weird to setup though, and getting the PCD Manager software configured is kinda weird. One thing I found particularly annoying was getting an account into the PCD Manager software. Basically I had to export the account from PCD Windows, and then import it into PCD Manager. Its kind of a pain when you are setting up the system using PCD Windows via your laptop, and then setting up PCD Manager for the client on one of their desktops. Since the last one I picked up a thumb drive that should make it a little easier, but for the last one I had to burn it on a CD.

Anyway, after its all setup, you just type in or import from a text file the user names, and then you can by user name assign card numbers and alarm codes and access schedules. After its all configured properly the client can easily look at the alarm log or the access log and see activity with descriptions by door and user weith time & date stamps.

PCD Manager is nice for WAN applications as you can manage multiple locations via the software. It also supports remote external application via port forwarding.

There are some setup things to pay attention to. Change the defaults to LAN access and to show card and alarm codes all the time. It will make usage a lot easier.

-- Bob La Londe The guy who decides who we do business with.

The Security Consultant PO Box 5720 Yuma, Az 85366

(928) 782-9765 ofc (928) 782-7873 fax

Contractors License Numbers ROC103044 & ROC103047

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Once its setup... little weird to setup though... configured is kinda weird... I found particularly annoying... Its kind of a pain..."

That's the Napco mantra ain't it?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I would have to agree... But, I'll say this about Napco "their equipment works reliably once its installed and properly programmed"....

Reply to
Russell Brill

too true

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I agree. But getting there is a pain, especially when there's other rock-solid alarm panels out there that are soooo much easier to program.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

configured is kinda weird.

You haven't lived until you have the chance to link a Napco panel with a Continental Panel.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Discovered something else.... In order to setup an "account" in the NL-Config software the easiest thing to do is plug in the NL-Mod to the netowork. Plug in our laptop to the network. Using the temporary account discover the NL-Mod as DHCP, unselect DHCP, set the IP address, subnet, and gateway, save as, and then download the NL-Mod. If you do it exactly that way it works pretty good. If you try and create a new account first it never seems to work.

Using a crossover cable is more of a pain than its worth as you would have to modify and then un-modify TCP/IP settings associated with your NIC every single time. That is not something I would want to teach the average installer.

Also, a lot of the Napco tech guys don't really seem to understand the NL-Mod and network configuration, although I never actually got to speak with the "Netlink guy" when I called.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.