X10? Any good? Need some advice.

That's actually pretty "normal" for you. You look for "key words" in the different threads to respond to.

"Some"? As far as I know there was only ever "one" that resorted to these tactics (and he's no longer participating).

Do you mean "one" or "four", or "forteen"? How many have you gone RL on in the many years you've been posting to Usenet?

Nope. We object to:

1. Your blatant advertising of services that have nothing to do with the group's purpose and violates the FAQ.

1. Your constant belittling of the professionals actually "in the trade".

2. Your misrepresentations and outright lies.

1. The fact that you frequently instigate flame wars with odd little comments peppered with the names or taglines of the individuals that have expressed opinions which oppose yours or have objected to your "antics".

2. Bombing the group with "PR" posts that include dozens of links to your online store which you say helps your efforts at "better search engine positioning".

Did you tell the people you "installed and serviced" systems for that you were an ex-con?? When did you actually decide to open the CS you ran out of your home? Was it in 1980 when you first got into the business? Why did it take you three years to obtain the proper licensing to actually perform installations and service, and a further six years for you to get licensed to pull permits? Does this mean that for *nine years* you were installing alarm equipment *without a permit*? Was your company even licensed to do business in Hartford? You started your first "online" venture in 1996. You changed its format last year, got rid of a FAQ section that you were pretty darn proud of, and opened three new online stores all selling the same thing. Why?? What's with the unanswered complaints at the BBB? How is it you obtained an account with ADI when you aren't even licensed as a contractor in Florida? What really happened when the DBPR came to your door? Why haven't you provided us with the results of the investigation and the subsequent conclusions to back up what you've said about the matter? Are you really contemplating opening a central station in Brazil?

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

I am the frickin OP.

I would like to take a moment to thank the people who offered their opinions. That is what I wanted. Both sides. Opinions.

I have used X10 for turning lights on and off and home automation. It didnt bother me (much) when certain lights would have to be "turned on"

3, 4 or even 5 times sometimes before they would actually turn on. How much did I spend? Right.

But That is not what I want with a video security system. I need something a little more reliable. I dont need Fort Knox, but I dont want it to fail me the ONE SECOND that I need it to be working.

Secondly, I would like to thank all the people who seem to have SO MUCH free time that they get to entertain us with Flame Wars on List Servs. God, I havnt seen one like this in years. I think I was involved in one actually in 94. It sure can be fun! But alas, it did not help me gather information I needed to help decide.

I am starting to think the middle ground solution for me may be 801.g wireless network cameras. I am hoping with a nice 200-300 dollar camera and the right software it might work out for me. But I am a little afraid to ask for your opinions, because I dont want anyones blood on my hands... ;)

My advice to all of you, Take the higher ground. No one really cares about your opinion unless they ask for it. All that was asked for was opinions on cameras, nothing more nothing less. Some people take everything personally dont they? :)

Reply to
Jazzer

welcome to our world. I would go with a bullet camera. not wireless though so may not be for you. can get one with a sony x cam chip for under $100 from CCTV Outlet [Eclipse]. Got some installed for several years with no problems. take your own advise, nobody cares about your opinion either. These wars go back years and no newbie is going to stop them. But thanks for trying.;)

Reply to
Chub

Email me at feolson at yoursecuritysource dot com (no spaces). I'll put you in touch with a guy I know that's importing some pretty cool stuff (wireless) including a four camera DVR card you can plug into a free PCI slot on your computer. View the cameras "online". I know there's a lot of this stuff out there, but these babies have the best picture I've seen.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Chub,

May be a newbie to home automation. But my online experience goes back to 1984 with a comodore 64 and a 300 baud modem. I am never surprised at how lame and immature people can be online.

Thanks for the help.

Jazzz'r

Reply to
Jazzer

Wow. Your modem was a lot faster than mine... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

ah the good old days

yea, it's easy to go over the line with email .

you're welcome

Reply to
Chub

Were you able to get any help from

formatting link

Oh and just for the record. Robert Bass has been instigating chaos in this and many other groups for years and years. You'll notice that no one supports any comments that he makes. Ashamedly, he associates himself with this industry in spite of the fact that he's a conviceted felon for threatening someone with gun and is responsible for the death of someone. He's skirted around the law in runing his present on line store and plagues this group with his incessant advertising followed by his constant demeaning of the installers who predominate this group, when they object. His sole purpose here is to belittle installation companies so as to entice people who come here to buy from him. He's been ousted from Newsgroups going back many years for disrupting and going real life with people ..... because they object to his arrogant conduct. He's stolen and plagerized information from people here and from published documents and claimed it as his own. He's even called the employers of some people here, lied about them to get them in trouble with their company. All of this is documented in Google and you'll notice that he'll not refute any of what I'm saying here because he knows that I can prove every word I've said with a Google search, in minutes.

Take heed where you buy, if you're looking on line.

Buy professional equipment and try to stay away from the "retail" companies. Theres so much video equipment available nowdays that it's difficult, even for the professionals to choose. The equipment is being upgraded and improved so fast that it hardly stays on the market for more than a year before it's replaced by something else or another mfg comes out with something better at a lower price. It's hard to keep track.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jim

I don't mean to spam, but you can also try the forums on my website.

formatting link
Cheers!

Reply to
info

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.