Need some technical advice--

Is there anyway I can see if someone is 'piggybacking' on my wifi? Sometimes I notice that although connection indicates 54Mbps, my uploads are considerably slower(web pages take longer to load, surfing is slower) at certain periods of the day? If there is some way to detect this with or without installing a program, please give instructions. Thanks.

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

You can look in the router for the DHCP clients list and see if there's anyone there, but your best bet is toturn on WPA security and set a non-dictionary passphrase as key. Then you'll know no-one else is using your WiFi.

[Other reasons for slowdown are interference, ISP overload, malware, etc]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Anybody know where to find the DHCP client list on a Linksys WRT54G?

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Anybody know where to find the DHCP client list on a Linksys WRT54G?

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

What page of the manual is confusing to you?

Reply to
riggor99999

Not off the top of my head, but there are a couple of buttons in the menus that show the DHCP Clients. Do some poking around.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Status page, LocalNetwork tab, click on the ClientList button.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Thanks, I poked around endlessly and missing that.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Thank you for the perceptive and useful response.

If it were my own router, perhaps your reply would have been helpful. No, I guess it wouldn't have.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

...and I guess going to the vendor's web site and downloading and reading it was too difficult?

Reply to
riggor99999

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.