X10? Any good? Need some advice.

Uh, yes it is.

Reply to
Papa
Loading thread data ...

So you are a so-called "professional", are you? Most professionals I know don't resort to name-calling. They don't have to. Apparently you do. Sorry I pulled your chain, but if you are the typical home alarm system "professional", I sure am glad I did my own installation.

By the way, people other than alarm installers are also reading this thread. Just think what comments like yours can do to business.

Reply to
Papa

First of all who's business. X-10's? I doubt alarman's comments will hurt his business. However, any comments posted here, good or bad will hopefully make others look at it without blinders and they don't fall for the first piece of equipment, what ever it is, that they were sold on. Just because something does work, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best or only way, and more importantly the most secure. With your stand on X-10, why would you even ask the question, as to, if it was any good. Sounds like you already have an opinion. You either work for X-10 and are just testing the market, own stock or just plain don't like to hear that you may have made a mistake of choice. I personally made a decision not to use the product, coming immediately after attending an X-10 seminar where the unit actually blew up in front of the whole class. Blown circuit and smoke everywhere. Don't need the aggrevation. Was it an isolated incidence, probably. Did the instructor screw up, who knows. The benefits simply don't outweigh the potential consequences. You ask for some feed back, that is mine.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

And your opinion has been received. Thanks.

As for working for X-10, I have no relationship with that company at all, other than I have purchased their products (which is irking a whole bunch of you guys, obviously). I work for no one, except my wife, have been retired for 15 years, and I don't own any X-10 stock either

IMHO, the X-10 products are great, and are not the rip-off being fostered off on the gullible public for big bucks by some "professional" installers. They work and they are consistently reliable.

Reply to
Papa

please check back in in a year and let us know what you think then. :)

Reply to
Chub

installers.

Then I am still wondering about the subject line on your original post. "Re: X10? Any good? Need some advice?" After the responses, it sounds like you were totally comfortable with your choice prior to posting originally. I didn't see one question from you as to why the OP felt the way they do about the product. Either way, good luck with your project. (and that wasn't meant to be a negative statement)

Reply to
Bob Worthy

In my first post to this thread I was giving my opinion on the X-10 to the one asking for opinions. The OP asked those questions, not me, and of course he created the subject line, not me. Jazzer was the OP.

Thanks for your good wishes. Appreciated.

Reply to
Papa

Sure. Be glad to. ;>)

Reply to
Papa

I called you a name? Where?

My business is fine, and if you don't like what you read, then blow. js

Reply to
alarman

OK, if you say so.

js

Reply to
alarman

Well, for starters: "... just take your arrogant, network engineer crap...". Then later on you said: "... you are either a troll, or just dumber than a box of hammers ...", in addition to a lot of other similar comments. If that isn't name-calling, I don't know what is.

Actually I have enjoyed what I have read in this thread. To me, it's hilarious, so I'll stick around.

Reply to
Papa

I do. (snort)

Reply to
Papa

It was an observation, and from what I have read, accurate.

Suit yourself. Do you plan on answering Doug's question? js

Reply to
alarman

See ........ wadid I tell ya.

I really wasn't trying to be " Ssssnnnide"

I was just tryin to tell ya that you were going to get the response that yer gettin.

Now ...... I guess it's ok for me to follow suit. X10 is typically made for the do it yourself market. You can even call them and ask. They'll tell you the same thing. If you have any "real" engineering back ground, that is "design" engineering, you'd know the difference between a DIY designed product and a product that's designed for professional installation. It's like the difference between paint by number and going to school to learn how to be an artist. The results doesn't look "THAT" bad but of course it's being judged by someone who doesn't know what the "real" thing should look like. Being a professioal engineer in one line doesn't necessarily mean you'd know what a professionally installed alarm system would and should, do if you've never had one or installed one. In short, X10 products are simply a faux security system. It looks like it's ok to the untrained eye. It may well serve YOUR purpose, but it would never serve the purpose of someone who had expeienced having a professionally installed system. There systems are designed by people who arent and never have been in the security industry and are a best guess at what a system should do. Professional systems do just about every thing you can think of and much more.

Again. if it works for you ........ that's fine. But you'r dead wrong about the quality, and performance of anything that X10 makes. Take it from 36 years of experience in this trade. And obviously if it WAS everything that you make it out to be, don't you think that everyone would be using it? It's cheap. Which seems to be you're overiding reason for using it. That it is. But .... in fact, it's cheap because it IS cheaply made. You can buy professional equipment for slightly more yourself and get a lot better quality and reliability for the money. And I mean YOU can buy it. Not from me installed. YOU buy it. YOU install it. I'd think, as an engineer you'd want to use professioal equipment rather than retail equipment, if you could.

But ........ to each his own.

Reply to
Jim

Boy, I must have really steamed you. ROFL

No, there is no reason to. I already know that the X10 is quality equipment, and I don't need to convince anyone else. If you think differently, that's your privilege.

Reply to
Papa

Either

1. You've never seen real security equipment to compare otherwise you would never have made that statement

1. You work for X10.com which would explain the other stupid statements about being as reliable

Reply to
Mark Leuck

My occupation has no relevance to the question, I merely asked how you came to the conclusion that X10 is just as reliable as any other security hardware. I thought perhaps that you had some meaningful data to support your statement

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Um, nope.

Okie dokie. js

Reply to
alarman

I haven't been following this thread closely so I'm not sure to whom you're responding, but in this newsgroup that is considered fairly tame. Some of these morons will attack your wife, children, parents, anyone and everyone. At least one four of them have gone RL on me. Then the same morons whine that *I'm* ruining *their* newsgroup.

It would be even funnier if these jackasses weren't responsible for securing other people's homes and businesses.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

how many is that exactly? Oh and better keep looking around and get your ducks in a row because I hear there is more on the way. What comes around goes around.

WOW, I have to agree with you on this point!

HAHAHAHAHAHA this coming from an EX CON who CAN'T GET a license to legally provide security services!

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.