X10? Any good? Need some advice.

I really need a low level home survailance system. I was thinking of 2 of the motion detecting flood light color cam setups from x10. Plus a low light level B&W Xcam The XRay Software Maybe the home automation software

It looks like i could get the setup i want for between 280 and 380.

Please share your experiences with me on these products if you have time. I just dont want to blow the money if there is another option.

I like them being wireless obviously, but if it sucks then its obviously not worth it.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Jazzer
Loading thread data ...

Jazzer wrote:

You have to understand that most of the people in this Newsgroup who do use CCTV equipment would never EVER consider using X10 cameras and hardware. So you're not likely to get any one to endorse it's use. There are some pretty inexpensive cameras out there now, but for the layman there's no way for anyone to tell you what spec's to look for. There's a lot that goes into the choice of a camera because where it's going to be used, obviously determines the requirements. For instance, if the camera is going to be mounted inside, looking at a door way...... Under normal conditions on a bright sunny day, when someone comes in the door surrounded by bright sunlight, all you're going to see is a silhouette of the person. So you'd have to spec a camera with backlight compensation. If you were using a camera to look at your drive way, it would be ok during the day, but at night you couldn't see a thing. So you may want to consider using a camera that includes infrared illuminating lighting. And if you're doing that, you may as well get a camera that automatically converts from color to black and white at night. Because black and white cameras see in the infra red range better than color. You'd perhaps want a low lux camera too. And on and on it goes. Will an X10 camera give you what you want? The only way you'll ever know is to buy it and if it doesn't work you "may" be able to return it. By the way, remember, if you're using a wireless cameras, watch out what you're viewing. If you can receive the signal from a camera , so can anyone else ..... like a neigbor.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks! Thats a great response. I am looking to put a camera on a driveway and one in the front of my house. I was thinking of putting motion detecting lights as well to help the cameras out if you think that would be helpful or would it just blow out the brights? I have started looking into wireless 801.g network cameras. they look a little more robust, and maybe that would work for me. But im not sure what equitpment to start researching. I dont want to spend more than

300-500 per camera, want something smallish (so its not super ugly on the house) but also want motion actived recording on my pc, and if i can log in remotely to view cameras, thats a plus but not required.

Any tips you can give me to get me closer to finding the right hardware would be helpful. Wireless is cool, but since i will have to run wires to it to power it, its not crucial.

Reply to
Jazzer

I just finished installing an X10 system in my home. It seems to work very well, is easy to install (no soldering or running of wires), and there is no monthly fee. My system, which is wireless, consists of the main console plus a half dozen door/window sensors, a couple of remote controls, several motion sensors, a couple of lamp modules, and power horns. It also has the ability to automatically telephone up to 4 different numbers and play a pre-recorded message. Total cost was under $200.

The only actual work I had to do was to trim a couple of inches of the woodwork on the window and door frames so that the 2 magnetic switch halves of the door/window sensors could mount correctly. I used a Dremel tool for the trimming. If your door or window woodwork is all flat, trimming will not be necessary.

One word of caution. Do not purchase a security system from "safezones" on Ebay. Delivery will be extremely slow, the guy will never answer your email, and he will not post a feedback for you. I suggest that you purchase your components (or a full system) directly from

formatting link
Radio Shack occasionally has some of the components, but it is a hit or miss proposition.

Reply to
Papa

The OP was looking for a Closed Circuit TV system. Not an alarm system. Again, the professionals in this group would never use X10 equipment, so you'll not get any endorsments for it here. Why they don't use it, is another subject alltogether and probably one you'd not like to hear anyway.

Reply to
Jim

I'd really rather suggest that you go to

formatting link

In my opinion there are just too many variables that I personally consider when I install CCTV systems. I just don't think I would be able to expediently and totally explain all the things that I think you should know and consider when choosing your equipment. I don't know how much you know and if it is little, I'm sure that it'd take some time to set you straight on what you may expect as compared to what you'll get. For instance, one common misconception that laymen make, is that the camera will see things the same way that you see things with your eyes. People seem to forget that, unlike a camera, we have almost 180 degree vision.We can look straight ahead, but we can concentrate on whats happening off to the side without actually looking at it. Cameras can't do that. I've had people tell me that they want a camera so they can see their whole parking lot and be able to see the license plate numbers on cars and the faces of people too. A person could easily do that but it would be near and likely totally impossible for a camera to do it. And also they seem to forget that they're going to be looking at this through a 14 or 17 inch window ( the TV monitor)

I use cameras that start (dealer cost) at about $300.00 up to$

5-600.00. Professionally installed (outdoors in this area), cameras go for about $800 to $1000.00 each and that's without PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) control. Lenses are a big cost variable too.

Over at

formatting link
there are some people who are more into the retail type of systems and they'll be better able to help you.

Reply to
Jim

Read the OPs post again. He was asking for opinions on X10 branded equipment. Whether it is an alarm system or a TV system is really beside the point.

And as far as your snide comment about X10 alarm systems - opinions vary, even among "professionals".

Reply to
Papa

There's X-10 and then there's alarm systems. You don't necessarily have to be a professional to understand the difference. Simply look at the way X-10 works and compare it to a system like Simon 3 or even the Visonic Powermax.

Reply to
Frank Olson

..as I said, opinions will vary.

Reply to
Papa

Hmmm I read it again and he says he's looking to install a CCTV system using X10 cameras and equipment. Nowhere does he ask for a general opinion on X10 products.

My comment wasn't meant to be "snide" . Just factual. I'm just trying to let you know that in my experience over 7 or 8 years in this Newsgroup made up of professional installers, that you'll not get any endorsements to use X10 alarms or CCTV equipment ..... because it's not considered professional equipment .....that's all. In fact I HAVE used quite a bit of their power line carrier equipment through the years, but in recent years, other companies have improved on their original ideas and they haven't. I could have given you my explicit opinion about their equipment, and made comment about your using it, but since you're obviously happy with it, it would serve no purpose. If it serves your purpose that's fine. As I told the OP, he could perhaps try the X10 camera equipment and if it didn't work our maybe he could return it. The specifications given for their CCTV equipment is usually pretty vague so it's difficult to tell if it will do what you want it to do without acutally having the equipment and trying it.

Sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to save someone the trouble of wasting their time and money.

The end.

Reply to
Jim

I've tried the X10 cams for my own surveillance systems. Here are the problems I experienced. YMMV...

1. The aforementioned problems with lighting. No servicable picture at all in the dark or in dim lighting conditions.
  2. Often in bright light, the auto-iris would get stuck resulting in a washed-out unusable picture.
  3. The X10 program that sent X10 signals down the power lines to power wireless X10 cams up and down through their wall-wart transformers was an extremely primitive solution prone to failure. Sure, the program is free, but you just can't spend endless hours troubleshooting the X10 paths.
  4. The X10 wireless cams were extremely temperature sensitive and when the local temp dropped into the 40's and 30's, I could not get a usable picture on my porch cams.
  5. The low power RF signals from the wireless cams was prone to interference in my area. You need good-line of site paths and better antennas (then the factory supplied version) to make any use of these cams.
  6. There is no external RF security. Someone driving by your house with a simple receiver can view your cam signals (and hear your audio, if so equipped!)

On the plus side, the X10 cams were super-cheap. They have their useful applications, but I would never use them for a mission critical security application. Again YMMV...

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Well, all I can say is, this newsgroup is open to everyone, not just people who install security systems. For those of us who are not in the professional installer category, and who have a little ability with electronic hardware (I have built dozens of computer networks for myself and my relatives and neighbors), the X10 system is the way to go. The X10 system is a good design and will do the job if properly installed. Not only that, but the purchase cost is minimal and there is no monthly fee for the rest of your life.

Anyway, I am a retired engineer and just want to save money, and whether you want to admit it or not, the X10 hardware is just as reliable as any security hardware made. It does the job.

Reply to
Papa

What data do you have to back up your statement that the X10 is just as reliable as any other security hardware made? other than having recently installed a X10 system in your home what experience have you had with X10 and other security hardware that would allow you to come to such a conclusion.?

Twice you mentioned no monthly fees as a benefit to X10, but monthly fees or lack of them have nothing to do with the hardware, they are part of the monitoring or leasing agreement, if you are DIY you could purchase and install almost any security alarm yourself without incurring monthly fees.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

you obviously have not used much x10 equipment. Have fun

Reply to
Chub

That is 100% true. Anyone is welcome to post here. You don't need to be an installer. Heck, one of the regular poster (me) quit installing for a living several years ago and another (Olson) never installed anything.

If it works for you, no problem. Others here, including myself, have had less satisfying experience with it. Bear in mind that when one installs a professional security system, be it CCTV, burglar or fire alarm, the customer expects it to function as intended 100% of the time. When someone installs an X10 camera, it is usually understood that the device is "consumer" grade and may not perform to the same level.

If the X10 device does what you want it to do, the price is acceptable and it doesn't cause you too many headaches, go right ahead and use it.

That is true of many systems you can buy and install yourself, including "professional" grade cameras, burglar and fire alarms.

My experience with X10 hardware differs somewhat from yours. If the system satisfies your security needs, that is all that matters. Best of luck with it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You install security systems, don't you (not a question). ;>)

Reply to
Papa

You install security systems, don't you (not a question) ;>)

Reply to
Papa

Now, now Robert. For someone claiming "years" of installation experience, I wonder if you could enlighten me on how it is you program an LCD keypad with a 32 character 2 line display to read "Attention Burglar" (on the first line) and "Go Ahead. Make my day." (on the second). Why not dazzle us with more of your installation acumen? "Go ahead, Robert. Make my day."

As for your comment about me, you said it so well yourself (and I'll repeat it here without asking your permission):

"Saying so without proof is misleading and unfair."

You would, of course, say this. You sell equipment you wouldn't use (or recommend) yourself, on your numerous websites. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone that's expressed so much "concern" for his customer's satisfaction can promote (much less sell) products he knows to be less than perfect. I imagine it's how you justify your existance though... Coaching someone with little actual experience to do a "less than perfect" installation with "less than perfect" equipment... on the phone... from Brazil... Tsk!

formatting link

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Uh, no, it's not. While some of it is pretty slick, it is NOT consistently reliable, and certainly not professional grade. js

Reply to
alarman

Yes, he does. So do I, and most everyone else here. And we're not trying to sell you anything. You are a retired engineer? Built lots of computer networks? Pulled a little wire? Jeez, where do you guys get your egos? You are just another network engineer clone, the likes of which we have seen many times before. You ask a question, and when you don't like the answer, you pull the same old crap. You think that because you can build a network, you are somehow superior to everyone in the alarm industry. You will argue for a week or so, and when you are proven to be a fool, you'll then disappear, or resurface under another pseudonym. Why not just take your arrogant, network engineer crap on the road now, and save us all a lot of time. If you really believe that X-10 is as reliable as any other security hardware, you are either a troll, or just dumber than a box of hammers. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.