Wireless Motion Sensor slow to start

I have a wireless motion sensor and I have tried setting on my alarm and then starting in the back of the room to see how far I can get. I notice that if I do this test immediately after the alarm system delay is finished the motion sensor doesn't go off, even if I jump in front of the sensor. But if I wait a few minutes, then it does catch me.

Is there some additional delay before the motion sensor starts? Is this to preserve battery life that it only checks to see if the alarm is set every five minutes or something?

Thanks!

KSG

Reply to
KSG
Loading thread data ...

Most wireless motion detectors will wait 2 minutes in between picking you up to help conserve power. If it did not do this, you would be replacing the batteries often.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

There's usually a three minute "reset" incorporated into the PIR's transmitter. This basically "saves" the battery. If the unit were to transmit continuously, you'd be changing batteries in it on a weekly basis. After the three minutes expires, the sensor is "armed" to receive IR energy and transmit an alarm instantly. When that happens it goes "dormant" for another three minutes and the whole process starts over.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Jim, thanks for the quick reply. Let me restate to be sure that I understand.

You're saying that the wireless alarm samples for movemeent every two minutes, hence missing me for the first couple of minutes as I jujmp in front of the alarm.

Thanks!

KSG

Reply to
KSG

Ignore my posting preceedin this one. I got it.

Thanks to both you and Frank!

KSG

Reply to
KSG

Ignore my posting preceedin this one. I got it.

Thanks to both you and Frank!

KSG

Reply to
KSG

No, it "sees" you all the time. However, if it senses motion, and it has transmitted in the last 2 mins, it will not transmit again until it sees two minutes of "silence" and THEN detects motion. (supervisories not included)

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.