XTB - the Future of X10 has arrived!

Every once in a while you come across a product so useful that it changes the fundamentals of how you live and work. Recently, I had the opportunity to help beta test fellow newsgrouper Jeff Volp?s XTB (X10 Transmit Buffer). This is one of those ?breakthrough? products.

Anyone who has an even moderately complex X-10 based system has more than likely been sucked into the netherworld of signal attenuation. Transmission problems are the work of a variety of demons, pixies and Orcs that inhabit the average home?s power lines. I've wasted countless hours tracking down X-10 signal strength issues. The XTB is like a mighty electrical Excalibur, capable of slaying the motley army of X-10 demons with a single slash.

What is it? Well, it?s almost like the mythical carburetor than runs on water. If it were a rifle, you?d never miss. If it were a cell phone, your calls would never be dropped. If it were a power drill, you?d be able to punch through stainless steel ingots as if they were butter.

The XTB is an amplifier unlike any you?ve ever seen. It takes the real-time output of an X-10 transmitter like a TM-751 or a CM11A and turbo-charges it to previously unheard of levels in the X-10 world. (At least I?ve never heard of them!) The output is so high that both my Monterey Signal Analyzer and my ESM1 bar graph meter ?pegged? out at their maximum levels (4v for the former, 5v for the latter) at a considerable electrical distance from the XTB.

It was fairly easy to calculate the voltage based on extrapolation. I compared the voltage drop between point X and Y with a weak transmitter like the CM11A. Then I repeated the readings with the XTB. Based on the output voltage, I concluded that the signal exits the XTB at 22 to 24v. Admittedly, it?s nowhere near as precise as an o?scope but the attenuation ratios are fairly consistent in my house for point to point readings. If the CM11A clocked in at 50mV at a particular receptacle, adding the XTB would boost that reading to .25 volts, or about 5 times the original signal strength.

Even with 10 X-10 filters deployed throughout the house, my humble abode is an X-10 nightmare. Lots of X-10 transmitters, lots of PC and hi-tech gear, lots of UPSs, switching power supplies and other tiny, twisting passages for X-10 signals to get lost in. In short, a house full of X-10 demons, ready to absorb or corrupt an X-10 signal at any time. I?ve gotten used to the fact that my wife?s sewing room was beyond the reach of X-10. She?s actually glad that it is. When I plugged the Maxicontroller into the XTB ? the sewing room lights flashed on and off even though they never had before. The signal, as read by the Monterey, was a fairly low (but still very reliable) .11 volts. But what was more peculiar is that the sewing room was on a different phase than the Maxicontroller. So what was coupling the phases?

I decided to check at the panel. All of the circuits on the phase opposite the transmitter were evidencing a steady .11 volts. I turned off the central AC breakers, expecting to see the Monterey read 0 volts. No change. Steady .11 volt signal. I turned off the furnace. No change! I shut down EVERY breaker in the panel except for the meter and the TM751/XTB combo. That would surely reveal the ?good? elf that was somehow coupling the two phases of my house. But once again, there was no change.

After a flurry of emails to Jeff, it became clear what was happening. The XTB signal was SO strong it was coupling at the pole transformer! That might not be the case with other houses. My power pole transformer is less that

100? away from the breaker panel.

I threw the XTB every curve I could think of, rummaging through my box of X-10 goodies for test candidates. I tested the XTB against several flavors of transceivers, from the RR501 to the TM751 and even the Robodog. If you? ve got more than one transmitter, you may need more than one XTB. Unlike Smarthome?s BoosterLincs, the XTB will only amplify signals from the device(s) plugged into the unit?s outlet.

While you can?t plug in a vacuum cleaner into that outlet, you can plug in a power strip and have the XTB amplify several devices plugged into that strip. I?ve currently got a CM11A, a TM751, a TW523 and a SmartMaxi-controller plugged into the outlet strip without any apparent issues. I even plugged a CM11A into the XTB and then a TM751 into the CM11A ?s pass-through outlet without a glitch. I?ve also tried the Leviton All Housecode Transceiver, the X-10 Mini Timer, Mini-controllers, and the IR543. All worked without incident. The SmartMaxi (All Housecode Maxicontroller from Smarthome) with its macro capability was particularly enhanced by the XTB.

One of the nicest benefits of the XTB is that it may allow you to kiss your active repeater goodbye. I disconnected my Leviton repeater a long time ago because it would lock up far too frequently for reasons I could never quite pin down. I avoided needing a repeater (or even a coupler) by using TM751?s spread throughout the house at the very end of each circuit. This kept them from interfering with each other, mostly, but it really created problems using a CM11A or TW523 based controller like the Ocelot. There was no way to insure that the output from either unit was able to reach all of the circuit ends -- until now, that is. The XTB is certainly going to change the way I?ve got my X-10 units deployed but it will be for the better in the long run.

The XTB also turns out to be a very useful adjunct to my X-10 power line meters. With the XTB plugged into an outlet about 10? from the panel, I see a signal everywhere in the house, which is about 1000 sq. ft. That?s been pretty helpful in finding unusual signal suckers because I can see a signal and calculate the attenuation whereas before the signal would be too weak to even register on the meters.

I?m sure Jeff will fill in the pricing details and all the usual warnings. I?m starting off with two assembled units because of my less-than-sterling solder skills. I?ll probably even try building one of my own with a little help from a better solderer since there are surface mount components that have to go on the board towards the end of the assembly process. I recommend buying at least one assembled one. If there was a program called ?This Old Circuit Board? Jeff would be one of the hosts. I showed the XTB to a friend, asking him if he could solder one for me. His comment was ?not like that ? that?s perfect!? He was floored by the how neatly Jeff had assembled the beta. So was I.

I'll be doing more detailed testing of the units as soon as the production models are available. Jeff told me he's made a few tweaks to enhance the performance so it seems prudent to measure the actual production units rather than the beta.

If you?ve got dragons and goblins in your X-10 setup and are looking for a remarkably effective dragonslayer get yours hands on Jeff Volp?s XTB. And even if things are running fine for now, the XTB will help keep them that way by insuring plenty of headroom. Its output is even visible behind the X-10 5A filter module. Signal suckers beware: Your days are numbered!

-- Bobby G. (BTW, I have no business affiliation with JV, other than as a beta tester and deliriously happy customer.)

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Great news!

Reply to
BruceR

I'll bet that an XTB will help you maintain your Stargate installation running smoothly despite the issues created by having so many Insteon devices.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Please point to more info on this..... Thanks

Reply to
terry

More information is available at:

formatting link
Several of the documents are being revised and converted to HTML at this time, but the earlier versions are still available.

Let me know if anything is unclear

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Robert,

I'm not clear as to the differencebetween the Smart home booster and this XTB unit. They both sound like they boost the signal, but as you pointed out the booster is not limited to only what is plugged into it.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

They work in different ways. The Booster Link can be plugged in anywhere, and monitors the line for X10 traffic. I understand it echoes any recognized X10 command during the repeat time slot.

The XTB amplifies a signal from a X10 transmitter on a cycle by cycle basis. So the output is just a high energy version of the input.

There is a report from a beta tester who compared the XTB with a Booster Link installation:

formatting link
Best results with the XTB are obtained by locating it near the electrical distribution panel where the load is heaviest. The heaver the load, the harder it drives. But, it should help wherever it is plugged in.

As can be seen in his results, just moving the TW523 near the breaker panel worked almost as well as adding 2 Booster Links to a non-optimal TW523 installation.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

BoosterLinc amplifies the signal in realtime and, in cases where the signal is only for single/split phase, creates it for the other phases. Aside from the latter feature, the difference is that your device has a higher output.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

I'm counting on it!

Reply to
BruceR

The XTB's going to allow me to keep using X-10 until "the next big thing" emerges in HA and maybe even beyond that. Whether it's Z-Wave, Zigbee, Insteon, UPB or something else apparently remains to be seen. I've been less than happy with X-10 for a while now, primarily because of signal strength issues.

The XTB has allowed me to restore a number of items that had been consigned to the dustbin because they could not reach every part of the house even with a repeater. (My experience with repeaters was both costly and fruitless.) Fortunately most of the loads I want to control are on one phase, but I'd like to be able to reach everywhere without any problems so I've ordered a simple capacitor and more complex tuned circuit SignalLinc passive coupler to test with the XTB. My feeling is that the .11 volt signal that I get on the phase opposite the XTB (via street pole transformer coupling) will jump. How much, I can't say.

The best part of all this is that the new technologies are forcing the prices of X-10 equipment on Ebay to outrageously low levels so that I can easily afford to be 1 level deep in spares on every item and 3 or 4 levels deep on critical items.

In addition, I have an inside line on some new X-10 devices that I believe will be nearly as revolutionary as the XTB, at least for some of us.

Please don't take this as an insult, Bruce, but what I want to avoid is a system like yours that's straddling multiple technologies. I also need something simple enough that if it fails when I am away, I can walk my wife through some basic troubleshooting. I also stand a chance of her swapping a bad module or having her shut down the quirky parts of the system and go to manual control until I return. I wonder about some of the other systems I read about. What happens when the original designer is out-of-service for any reason? The Leviton repeater had her going into the box and flipping breakers one too many times which is why we're repeaterless. :-)

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

No offense taken! Had I known about the XTB a few months ago I would have waited before jumping onto the Insteon bandwagon. I'm still using X10 in my other home and I will still use X10 for some signalling with the Insteon using the XTB. The reports so far have been glowing and I can't wait to get my hands on them. The big question in my mind is, "why didn't X10 develop this

20 years ago and eliminate all the repeaters and other "fixes" and problems that have plagued it?" It seems to me that just turning up the volume on the signal is so elegant in its simplicity that it would have been done before now. In any case, hats off to Jeff for doing it!

Reply to
BruceR

I have two theories. One is size and cost - it costs a little more to add the circuitry and I assume it would make all the X-10 modules larger. I don't know how Insteon achieves higher voltage in a small package but from some of the reports it seems they may not be doing it quite well enough to avoid lamp flickering during a transmission. Since the XTB is a discrete module, there's very little chance of any kind of interaction with the transmitting device's circuitry.

The second theory is that X-10 still envisioned a world where everyone was using X-10 and the 5 volt limit was a way to prevent interference between adjoining houses on the same power transformer. I've been tempted to take my Monterey next door to see how strong the signal is, but I fear that after that test, any light that blew or device that failed next door would some how be attributable to my X-10 devices.

I am sure that my neighbors on the left don't use X-10 and the ones on the right that just moved in and had a houseparty bonfire that nearly burned

*my* house down - well, I'm just praying they use X-10 and never hear about the XTB.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Reply to
Dave Houston

That's interesting because I have a CM11A with a date code of "4A7" (which I believe means 1984 but could be 1994) whose output appears to be greater than much more recent TM751's. At least that's what I thnk I am seeing based on attenuation extrapolation since both my meters peg out at under 5 volts. The CM11A's got a revision code of PG0281M in case that's any help in figuring out whether it's 84 or 94. I seem to recall buying it at Egghead just before I changed jobs, which would have made it around 1985.

When testing the XTB I plugged in various transmitters to a power strip in my PC room. Then, for each one in turn, I read the output at the far end of the house. To my surprise, while the TM751 was outputting from .42 to 48 millivolts the CM11A clocked in at .58 to .62 millivolts. Now I realize that there could be a number of factors that attenuate each transceiver's output differently but it really surprised me to see since I recall having measured it before and seeing an output that was half that of the RR501's that I been using. I am certain I've seen lots of tables that indicate the CM11A's relatively anemic output yet that's not what I am seeing in the real world.

I also realize it could be just a fluke of the Monterey's measuring circuitry as well. The numbers are too small to make sense of with the ESM1. When the new XTB's arrive, I'm going to try to do as formal a comparison as I can without an o'scope and may finally come 'round to buying the USB o'scope you had suggested a while back. I've regained interest in a lot of X-10 gear that I had to abandon because the signals just wouldn't reach everywhere no matter how much filtering I did.

Do you think the CE limits are safety based or are they just in place to limit interference to nearby buildings? I'm assuming interference is more important in Europe than the US because European population density is so much higher.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
[snip]

It could even mean 2004. I believe the CM11A was introduced in 1997 although it may have been in beta testing a year earlier. Where did you park your tardis in 1985?

Since you really can't measure the maximum output, you can't draw conclusions. Different transmitters may also react differently to loading. I have measured several CM11As (or HD11As) as well as several other transmitters using both a scope and one of the pre-ELK ESM1 meters which was calibrated for 10Vpp fullscale. The CM11A, CM15A, 30001 (Stanley Homelink tramsceiver), and HCPRF (Leviton All Housecode Transceiver) output 5-6Vpp while every other transmitter I've tested is in the 10Vpp neighborhood.

It's easy to recalibrate the ESM1. Open it up and you'll see a potentiometer. Using an RR501 or TM751 in the same powerstrip, adjust it for fullscale. You should then see about halfscale with a CM11A.

I haven't tried to keep up with this but I think this was the best reasonably priced USB scope a year or so back.

formatting link

I spent nearly 20 years in the machine tool industry, importing capital equipment from Europe (and elsewhere). In those pre-CEdays many of the "safety" regulations in various European countries were intended to protect local manufacturers from foreign competitors. I suspect there's still an element of that in most CE rules with frequencies and limits set to maximize inconvenience for US and Asian companies.

European power limits for wireless transmitters (e.g. Palmpad) are many, many times greater than FCC limits so I doubt population density is a controlling factor.

formatting link
Remember, also, that Europe uses 230V instead of 120V.

Reply to
Dave Houston

My bad! I used my X-10 database instead of going back up the stairs to the attic to look at the actual CM11A. The real date code is 7C11. One day I decided to enter all my X-10 gear into a database and had a tendency to overuse "set carry on" to deal with repeating data. As near as I can tell, it got swapped with an RR501's date code and revision number. The CM11A has no revision number or if it did, it's fallen off. I bought the 4 button belt-clip transmitter kits that came packaged with the RR501 precursor from Egghead in 1985.

I'm beginning to think that might be part of what I am seeing - different performance based on the power line characteristics.

The good news is that apparently the XTB is a "great equalizer" when it comes to variable input voltages. When I plugged each unit (the CM11A, the HCPRF and the TM751), in turn, to the power strip plugged into the XTB the output at the other end was the same for each transmitter, which IIRC, was .25 volts.

I may try that but the reality is that I'm more interested in real world performance in my house. To that end I was surprised that the CM11A signal would end up being stronger at the end of a long run. I would have expected attentuation to occur uniformly over the same circuit pathway.

Yeah - that's the one. Whether I'll be able to learn to use it to analyze X-10 signals is another matter entirely. Right now, though, I've got an overly full plate.

Good point about the RF range. Peculiar they'd limit the output but it's probably at the point where there's little chance of the signal propagating to another house.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

They haven't anyone on staff with Jeff Volp's skills. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's like saying that you've discovered the future of the steam boiler powered cariage.

X10 is primitive technology from the days of the 110 baud modem. Maybe you can tell us about the future of the 110 baud modem while you're at it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

While higher bandwidth is always welcome for broadband connections, the X10 technology's problem has never really been one of speed but of reliability and resistance to interference from other PLC signal generators or signal "suckers." So solving that one item can make X10 technology useful for many more years even though the days of the 110 baud modem have thankfully passed.

Reply to
BruceR

It's funny you should draw that parallel. Here's a recent article about a new kind of steam carriage that shows that *old* technology, properly enhanced, can really be the way of the future:

formatting link
INSPIRATION ENGINE SPEC Two stage turbine on single spool Output: 300bhp at 12,000rpm (turbine speed) (225kw) Output shaft gear ratio: 4:1 or 4.45:1 to twin output shafts Differential: Epicyclic type with viscous couplings

"Steam-powered vehicles are not usually deemed as being parked at the cutting edge of transport technology. Nor do they seem to be the type to race across desert landscapes in a bid to smash land speed records in the

21st Century. But British design engineer Glynne Bowsher and his team have almost finished building a super-fast vehicle reminiscent of the Batmobile. And this car puts a new technological breath of life into what is regarded as a traditional means of power." [article continues at URL above]

It goes on to talk about pollution and how steam engines could greatly reduce it. Aside from carriages, steam has shown remarkable progress on the nano-technology front. Search on "micro steam engines" in Google to find any number of remarkable miniature steam engine stories.

So it's pretty clear that only someone with a very accurate crystal ball can tell when a technology is *really* obsolete. Jeff's device corrects the one fatal flaw in X-10 - its weak signal - and elegantly fixes it. The world of X-10 using a controller outputting 20+ volts is a very different one from the traditional world of the 5 volt transmitters, repeaters, boosters, couplers and the myriad software techniques used to try to improve signal reliability.

The XTB world has no borderline signals. For me, it didn't require going into the circuit breaker panel. My unit gives me a .11 volt signal on the

*opposite* phase without coupling. Active couplers, repeaters and boosters, by their very nature, both give and take when used in an X-10 system. You gain signal strength, but it is often at the expense of losing functionality, or worse, still, reliability.

I have no doubt that when the first batch of production XTB's hit the field, the reports will make even *you* wonder if there ain't some life left in that ol' X-10 dog, still.

Does living in your world mean we have to abandon everything that's "primitive" technology? That would mean giving up the underlying 110VAC electrical system - that sucker's over 100 years old.

Darn if you can't take a lamp from 1940 and plug it in to a wall and it will work. You can also plug your brand new laptop into the very same outlet and it will work, too. You can plug either device into a outlet almost anywhere in the country and it will work.

You can take a basic 1980 set of X-10 modules and do a pretty good job of automating that 66 year old lamp - or a 6 year old one. The age of X-10's "network topology" doesn't really have a lot to do with its effectiveness.

Standards are good things for the end user. X-10's issues have mostly been with continually devolving state of the home wiring "grid" - namely the advent of CFL's and signal sucking switching power supplies. So it seems somewhat unjust to abandon a technology simply because of what existed (110 bps modems) when it evolved. Would we have to give up plumbing because the concept dates back before the Roman era?

Certainly X-10 is not the fastest protocol, but what does it really matter in a home? If you can't stand the fractions of seconds that it takes for complex macros to execute, by all means go hardwire. Most X-10 users can live with the current speed limit, especially at 1/10 the cost of competing, albeit more reliable, systems. Besides, what do you need to transmit across the powerline that needs gigabit speeds?

What I needed from X-10 and wasn't getting was reliability. Commands would fail to execute because of a number of problems, all basically attributable to signal strength. The XTB solved that problem and made X-10 a whole new ball game. Try it before you knock it.

BTW, what protocol are you favoring in the four or five way race to replace X-10? There are going to be more losers than winners 10 years from now. The test will be when you go to sell your house with the InsteWaveUPBXXX automation system that's gone the junkyard and they demand you rip it out before the sale!

My guess is that 10 years from now, X-10 will still be hanging in there, just like the national power grid. I know the XTB has greatly increased X-10's odds of dancing on its wannabe successor's grave.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.