ademco 5890 wireless motion detector stopped working

Hi all, I wonder if anybody has experienced this before or I'm the first one. I have Vista-20P for few months already. I have never changed the configuration since I programmed the system few months ago. One of the sensors - wireless motion detector 5890 stopped sending alarm signal about a week ago. It is not dead though - if I open the sensor it triggers temper alarm. So batteries are definitely not dead and the system does recognize it since the system reacts on the temper switch inside the sensor. Also, if I put the sensor into the Test mode, red LED on the sensor lights up upon motion. It looks like all features work except sending alarm signal upon motion. The sensor was originally at the Zone12. During troubleshooting I deleted Zone12 and enrolled this sensor at Zone13, but result is exactly the same - temper switch does trigger temper alarm, but motion detection does not send alarm signal. This sensor has Zone Type 1 (Entry/Exit), Partition 1, Loop 1 I appreciate any tips. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Reply to
ymg200
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if this is your problem but they have a sleep mode where if it is tripped once it will not trip again for a while, to save battery life. Try covering it for an hour with a small box and then testing it by removing the cover.

Reply to
KingFish

"KingFish" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : j4DSl.47085$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net...

In fact the sleep time is about 3 minute, so when you do arm the system and you leave the premises the wireless detector ar not working till the sleep time is off, this can be a maximum of 3 minute... If you dont pass in front the detector for at least 3 minute before arming the system the detector react instantly to movement and the panel will react acordingly to the programing of the zone.

Reply to
Petem

Point One - If you have put the detector into test mode and have seen the red light come one without an alarm being sent to the panel, then I would say you have a faulty detector. The only thing you could try is to relocate the detector to a position where you have direct line of sight to the receiver and try it from there. Any change in environment or decor can interfere with wireless transmissions (a new mirror, for example).

Getting a direct line of sight helps rule out any and all interference. Doubtful, given what you have already tried but it's worth trying before you buy a new one.

Point Two - It's a TAMPER alarm not a 'temper' alarm. You only get a temper alarm if you have an 'emotion' detector (inside joke - we had a customer call up because she was having trouble with her "emotion detector").

Reply to
JoeRaisin

The 58xx series will go into trouble before it reaches a critical failure, like missing an alarm.

Heh. Did you tell her you dialed up the panel and confirmed her emotions?

Reply to
G. Morgan

If I read the OP correctly, he isn't getting a trouble. He just isn't getting an alarm even when he has confirmed a trip by putting the detector in test mode and watching for the LED to light (also bypassing the three minute sleep time).

Reply to
JoeRaisin

He also has to set the pulse count jumper to OFF

Reply to
mleuck

To answer some questions here, the detector has temper switch OFF and test mode OFF. It does not generate any trouble codes - the system is "Ready to Arm" and works fine, except that this sensor doesn't trip the Alarm, or Chime. Most accurate description of this sensor is probably Sleep mode (as mentioned in this thread), except that this sensor sleeps for a week already. I tried taking batteries out thinking that this might reset the sensor, but it didn't help.

Reply to
ymg200

From all you=B4ve said so far, I=B4m pretty sure it=B4s gone bad. Honeywel= l stuff usually lasts though. Contact the online store where you bought it. The unit is still under warranty. If they wont help, call me later this week when I get back from vacation (I=B4m in Brazil at the moment) and I=B4ll get it repaired or replaced as a courtesy. My info is on my "Contact Us" page. Here=B4s my link.

formatting link

Regards, Robert

Reply to
RLB

I would double check the programming, particularly the s/n....especially if you used the Learn mode when programming wireless. I hate the Learn mode, and always just manually enter the codes....why? because you can learn another pts s/n by mistake.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I would delete zones 12 & 13, and manually learn it in again. Just make sure you select loop 1 for the motion.

Jim Rojas

Crash Gord> I would double check the programming, particularly the s/n....especially if

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thats not that easy to do and besides it displays the serial number on the keypad

Reply to
mleuck

By the sound of your reply, it seems to me that you still might not understand what the "sleep" mode is.

Try the following.

If you have central station monitoring, call them and tell them to put the system on test for an hour.

Arm your system and don't allow any motion ( absolutely none) in front of the motion detector for about five minutes.

After five minutes, walk into the area where the motion detector is and see if it trips the alarm.

If not, then ...... considering all the other info you have given .... I would change the detector.

You can also try to manually reprogram the unit as suggested .... but I can't think of any reason why the unit would all of a sudden stop working.

Reply to
Jim

Gentlemen, I have not used Learn mode. I punched in Serial# into the keypad using *56 Zone programming mode. If I entered the wrong serial, the system would not react on the tamper switch, but it does.

Reply to
ymg200

ah...true !

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.