Stupid Verizon Phone Techs installing DSL

Have an alarm customer who i rigged up one of those Door Bell Fone units which allows the house phone to ring and answer front door when door bell button is pushed. Customer orders DSL 3 different Verizon Techs come on site and can not figure out why they can not get DSL signal into house dispite fact Door Bell Fone unit is staring them right in the face beside the alarm equiptment which is where the demarc is. Last tech gets shocked by phone line when some one rings it and scares my customer telling her she can have a FIRE because way alarm system is wired into phone system .Calls and tells me can not have unit on line becuse its not FCC approved etc. At which point i get on site show f*ck head the FCC registration number and paper works a Simple disconect of Door Bell Fone and DSL signal is working into house . Rehooked up doorbell phone on unused second line and when second line on phones rings its front door. He tells me no one hs eve seen one f these units before?

TALK ABOUT STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLES VERIZON HIRES THESE DAYS. Is it me or is it the fact all cable and telephone companys hire these days are a bunch of dumb f****ng back woods hicks subs for minimum wage give them 2 days training and set them loose. I have yet to see one DSL, digital cable phone line or cable voip go in the last 5 years where an alarm system is involved where the tech was not a complete f****ng idiot who screws up the alrm and phone lines and who i would not allow in my own home just from there aperance. tell me thes Cable and Phone Companys have some good compitant people I know they have them on the commercail side. some times..

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

wish I could but in 25, 27, 30 years [take your pick] have only seen 1 or 2 that knew anything more than the basic. :) hell most even phuk up a RJ31X and that is basic.

Reply to
spike

Where you been?...it's always been like that. It's a fine telcom tradition of f****ng up alarm wiring and blaming it on us. I've only run into a handful of telco guys that knew how to do RJ's without screwing up everything.

BTW... I have 3 Door Fon units in three different homes with DSL/VDSL and the work fine...not sure why. But the last one I did a couple of weeks ago rings funny...like the voltage is weak or something, not gonna worry about it since it works fine.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Don't hold back, Nick. Tell us how you really feel about these folks.

One of my favorite telco idiots was a guy who responded to a customer's complaint of static noise on the phone line. There was a keypad about 2 feet away from the wall phone in the kitchen. The telco-idiot put the phone to his ear, thumped the keypad with his hand and said, "That's it. Your alarm is causing the problem.

He then went to the basement, cut our RJ31X cable and left. The static, of course, remained.

The client, who also happened to be personal friend, called me. They had one of the older model protectors with the screw-in carbons. I unscrewed both of them, scraped a build-up of material off and tightened them up. No more static. It was a 2-minute repair job. I reconnected my RJ31X and all was well.

The following has happened numerous times at various locations. Telco-idiot responds to a call about static in the phone line in another site. This is after a rain storm.

TI disconnects the RJ31X, tells the customer the alarm is at fault and leaves. Upon investigation we find no problem with the alarm or the RJ31X wiring. The problem recurs after every strong rain. It also goes away as soon as the rain dries up.

I mentioned this to my father, who happens to be a retired chemical engineer one time. He asked, "Are the phone lines near any oak trees?"

Huh?

It turns out most of the problem comes from aerial drops passing near trees. Oaks in particular are associated with the problem. Squirrels love to nest in oaks because they are a primary food source. Squirrels also like to use insulation to pad their nests. They chew the tops of the cables bare.

Because they are not grounded the squirrels survive (similar to people flying inverted on levitating ladders). When it rains the water creates a low grade short which causes the characteristic noise in the lines.

The same happens, albeit less frequently, with underground aerials, though the likely culprits are ground vermin. In cold climes repeated freezing and thawing can affect insulation where the cable comes near the surface.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes; in the two way business we use leased lines to control transmitters remotely. After there installed and there is noise or trouble on the line it is hard to get the phone company to take responsibility for there actions.

They have to come out two and three times and bring a helper till they get it resolved.

In there monthly testing they left a test jumper on the line or tagged a dial line across the line some where.

I get paid by the hour.

Reply to
Rich

Y'know? Your "Anglisch" goes all to hell when you're mad. :-)

I've had three Telus Techies at my house over the years. They're told to terminate to the protector, make sure there's dial-tone, and leave. Telus charges 100 smackers for that. They call it a "basic connection fee". If you want the Techie in the house to hook up your phone lines, that's an extra 25 smackers for every 15 minutes he's *in the house*. After reading your "nightmare", it'll be a cold day in Sarasota that they'll ever step over the thresh-hold.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Part of my customer orientation when I was installing would be "If you have ANY phone work done, anything at all, call and I'll walk you through a communciation and line seizure test".

Never failed- the $25/hr union phone tech would ALWAYS screw up the RJ31x... I can only imagine what it's like now that everyone is scrambling to get DSL and Cable modem/telephone service in.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

It amazes me how many people I ran into when I was working for the biggest telecom company in the US that had no prior telecom or even computer knowledge or backgroud. How'd they get hired in the first place? Friend or family member get them in.

-- Splat

Reply to
Splat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.