[telecom] Basic fiber optic phone service vs. Fios phone service

A few weeks ago in the consumer column of the Boston Sunday Globe:

formatting link

-or-

formatting link

... a reader explained that in response to a repair request on their copper phone line, Verizon was forcing (not encouraging) them to migrate to fiber. The reader asked, "...what consumer protections apply. Has Massachusetts taken a position?"

The reporter started off with the usual note about fiber being different from copper in that during a power outage, you are reliant on a local backup battery, but otherwise it is technically superior.

But then he went on point out that Verizon is offering two different products. One being Fios phone service, and the other being basic fiber optic phone service. As we know, Fios isn't regulated by the state utility regulators, but notably basic fiber optic phone service is. I hadn't heard of that before.

A spokeswoman for the state Department of Telecommunications and Cable (DTC) said, "Because this is a technology upgrade...the department does not have the authority to interfere with this change, so consumers must either switch to fiber or switch carriers."

So I guess you are out of luck if Verizon picks you for a forced upgrade and you want to stick with copper.

The reporter referenced the DTC's advisory on this matter:

formatting link

A quote from that:

The DTC requires that Verizon make available to all residential customers in Verizon's service territory a regulated landline voice telephone service and Verizon claims its fiber service, where offered, will meet this obligation.

So what changed from the early days of Fios, where Verizon would pull out the copper lines to prevent the consumer from using those lines they were obligated to share with other telcos? Does this mean another telco can demand that Verizon lease the fiber line? And if so, what capabilities are available? Does Verizon use loopholes to argue that only a voice line of bandwidth is available for lease?

Is Verizon implementing this with Fios style dedicated fibers between the CO and the customer, or are they running fiber to neighborhood concentrators, and multiplexing only a low-bandwidth signal onto a shared trunk line?

I'm assuming for simplicity sake they're using a single identical infrastructure for both, plus this way once they have a foot in the door, they can upsell the consumer on their bundled offerings and not have to upgrade the connection.

...you should inform Verizon if you have any home monitoring equipment such as alarm/security systems or medical equipment that relies upon your existing phone line to ensure that it will continue to work after you make the switch.

Digital voice services are also notoriously incompatible with fax machines, due to the way they compress the signal. The DTC advisory implies that there aren't technical differences between the two Verizon voice offerings, only marketing and regulatory differences. So I'm assuming both are using lossy codecs in their ONT. They may support T.38[1], which demodulates the fax at the analog-to-digital conversion point.

1. formatting link

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Metro
Loading thread data ...

So let me clarify. Massachusetts has *not* ended Verizon's carrier of last resort (COLR) status, which requires them to provide POTS lines on request. However, they can deliver the POTS line using FiOS hardware. It will still go under the Verizon-Massachusetts (ex-New England Telephone) tariff, and be subject to the usual regulation.

They do not, however, advertise that offer. Instead, they promote FiOS voice packages that technically go to a different Verizon subsidiary, not subject to all of the same rules. So that's what the vast majority of subscribers have. In many cases the less-regulated service is a better deal, but YMMV.

They are not obligated to use copper, but the ONTs have batteries.

BTW this gives them one up over Comcast, whose XFINITY Voice service now is delivered via cable modems that do *not* come with a battery. Be forewarned -- this truly sucks big time, and should not be allowed. Comcast has apparently been taken over by accountants who emulate the old Chrysler, taking value out faster than they can remove cost, and wonder why customers go elsewhere.

Verizon's obligation above is retail, not wholesale. Their wholesale obligation does however require them to make copper loops available if they exist. If they pulled out the drop wire, they have to put one back in on request of a CLEC. They do however charge for that, and assume that the installation cost of a new drop will discourage CLECs from using their old copper loops.

If the copper loop no longer exists (i.e., it does not pass the house), then they merely need provide one voice-grade (DS0, narrowband) channel per premise on a wholesale basis.

They either use a copper loop as they did before FiOS (which might go to a digital loop carrier system) or they use the FiOS hardware to the subscriber.

They lost an FCC case over whether they could take a CLEC's order for service to a given customer site and pass it to the "win-back" team. That was ruled an illegal use of the CLEC's CPNI. However, I have documentary evidence (actual recordings) that they have continued to do so, if not as regularly.

FiOS does not use lossy codecs. Nor does PacketCable. I have fax machines on both RCN and Comcast cable phone lines; both run at high speed.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Earlier this year (2014), Verizon started charging new customers for ONT batteries. Customer do not have to buy one to get FiOS installed. I believe the price is $39.95, but I may be wrong.

Comcast does the same thing. In short, Verizon and Comcast are equal in this regard.

Verizon also started charging rental fees for the FiOS router if you don't purchase one or already own one.

There are other changes as well that make it clear to me that Verizon has moved into the "milk the cow" phase of business management.

Oh Well.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.