I give up

One of my accounts suddenly misses a daily timer. I call the customer; "Oh, we had digital telephone service installed. And, oh, by the way, the "technician" said "the alarm wasn't hooked up right."

Sooooo, your alarm system has sent signals daily since 1989, and now.....what...the $8.50/hour phone "technician" comes to your house and...NOW the alarm isn't "hooked up rught?????"

Fast forward to service call: I go to the MPOE, yup. The "technician" has been there all right. He just cut the wiring that used to go to the protector terminals. But where is the cable company's SNI? Walk around the house a couple of times...it's not there. Oh, ok. So it's NOT digital telephone service, it's VoIP. Yup. There's the modem right next to the computer, plugged into the phone jack. Sorry Mrs. customer, your Time Warner digital phone service is crap, and will not support your alarm system.

Customer says I should maybe keep people advised of this.

If only there were some way to publicize the wonders of VoIP...perhaps a...NEWSLETTER...like the one I just sent out to them in June. With the article on VoIP. Right there on the front page. In English. Small words. Big type.

Kind of a rehash of the article I wrote and published last year in another newsletter.

Similar to the one on my website.

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Like "rats in your attic". They are always upset at the person bearing bad news rather than at themselves for making bad or at least uneducated decissions.

:o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

what article did you use? I need to send one out in a couple weeks.

Reply to
Don

Does anyone here know if the Silent Knight 5204 will communicate on a VOIP line? I have a customer that's thinking of switching the second line to VOIP.

Regards, Frank

Reply to
FIRETEK

When I first started advising clients via Newsletter about VoIP, I was still getting lots of blank stares when they had a problem after they switched over. So, now with every Newsletter, I'm sending out the information on a seperate piece of yellow paper with big letters ATTENTION. That seems to be working. At least it seems like I'm getting more phone calls before they switch over now and even got one today from someone who'd switched to Vonage a long time ago and didn't notify me ... because they "didn't know it was the same thing as cable telephone and VoIP" (Sigh!)

Reply to
Jim

You have mail js

Reply to
alarman

oops, Im a bonehead. try snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM , save the caps. :)

Reply to
Don

Same thing with IP telephones there pushing in buisness I tell every one to avoid them but they do not listen and they regret ever buying them but now they spent all there money and are stuck with a system very few techs can properly program intercom calls that do not go thru. echo online etc. Oh well. Like my grandfather always said let ass holes be ass holes sooner or later they will shoot them selves in there own foot and go away wimpering.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Jack,

This is what I've done to combat the customer that always trying to fix what aint broken... I've always used the TLM to detect phone line tampering... A Line Fault won't sound the siren, but it will activate the keypad sounder and visual trouble indicator. Within one to three minutes (depending on the panel) of a customer disconnecting the RJ cord from the Jack, or some yahoo cable guy disconnecting the Telco service at the Demark, the customer is going to realize things aint what they used to be with their system, the annoying trouble condition will see to that :-))

What's really cool about the above situation, the Broadband Asshole never gets out of the house without the light bulb above the customer's head (I wonder if the Cable guy F----d up my alarm) turning on....

Reply to
Russell Brill

This is a Moose panel I installed in 1989. No TLM. (Shut it, Mark)

With the new systems, the TLM goes off all right, but my customers always seem to see it as an alarm system fault. I actually have to explain to them that the alarm keypad is REPORTING trouble with the phone line. And for some unfathomable reason, the customer almost always believes the bullshit the phone techno-idiot tells them. As in my original post, the panel has worked flawlessly since it was installed. Suddenly, it misses a timer, and I call. And the customer tells me there is a problem with the way the alarm is connected to the phone line, cuzz the f****ng moron that flunked out of toll booth school told them so. js

Reply to
alarman

Jack, this is selective reasoning by an ASSHOLE that wants cheap phone service... And is probably thinking about $9 a month alarm monitoring next...

I actually have to explain to them

Reply to
Russell Brill

Heh, you're probably right. Good riddance. js

Reply to
alarman

But it has to be the alarm, everything was OK until the keypad started beeping, luckily it happened while the phone technician was here as he was kind enough to check it out, even though he said it wasn't really his job and he confirmed the problem is with the alarm. What time can you get here to fix your alarm?

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

That depends on what it's worth to you. Service within the hour will be subject to a 300% idiocy surcharge. The surcharge drops 10% for every hour after that. So, when would like to make an appointment?

Reply to
Matt Ion

Funny, I just had some salesman for Time Warner wanting me to give "approval" to a customer (a.k.a. owner of a group of small residential assisted living facilities) to install digital phones for fire alarm monitoring. So the first thing he asks is if I ever had problems with digital phone service, I guess expecting to hear no. I told him the truth and said plenty. He didn't want to believe what he was hearing and said I couldn't have problems 'cause Time Warner fixed them all, even has back up battery power for 3 hours. So I told him 3 hours isn't really enough and other than faulty TLM reports, unable to download panels and missed test timers and reports to central then nothing was wrong. He said that ADT never has any problems, why should we? I hung up.

Reply to
Roland Moore

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news: C21Sg.69$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

ADT in Montreal doesn't even connect ANY account on voip/digital phone.... wonder why...

Reply to
Petem

That's why they don't have any problems!

Reply to
Matt Ion

No, just one less problem.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

LOL js

Reply to
alarman

Fair'nuff ;)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.