Netgear WGT624 v2 and a Panasonic cordless phone

You should be able to change channels on the phone, or at least on you computer stuff.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Not possible. There's nothing in your unspecified model Panasonic cordless phone that will interfere with a wired network. If 2.4Ghz, the cordless phone may interfere with a wireless connection, but there's no way it should affect a wired connection. Something else is going on.

What do you mean "interference"? Are you getting disconnected, slowed down, erratic performance, packet loss, slow pings, etc? How are you testing for "interference"?

Some possibilities:

1. Is the router picking up junk and getting too busy trying to decode junk? Try going into the web based configuration of the WGT624 and simply turning off the wireless. When disabled, no amount of RF junk should cause it to get busy.

1. Is the Panasonic wall wart power supply a noise generator? I've seen this with some switching power supply type of wall warts. They generate lots of both RF and conducted EMI crud that the router might be picking up via the power line.

2. Is there any type of phone line networking in the house (HomePNA)?

1. Is the broadband connection BPL (broadband power line)? These are affected by just about anything that transmits.

2. Is the broadband connection via satellite (Starband, DirectWay, etc)? If so, is there any connection or proximity between the phone base and the satellite receiver?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

We have a Panasonic cordless phone, about 4 or 5 years old. I recently purchased a Netgear WGT624 v2 router and put it into place. I have discovered that if I am on my Panasonic cordless phone, using it to talk to someone, that it will interfere with any PC on my network's connection to the network. It doesn't matter if the PC is directly connected to the router via a RJ-45 cable, or if it is using a wireless connection, the phone interferes with the connectivity. This is consistent and easily repeatable.

So, what can I do about this? Is my only option to purchase some other cordless phone? And if so, what do you recommend?

Rod

Reply to
Rod

A 900 mhz phone shouldn't mess with the wireless network directly, unless it is spewing all sorts of stuff it shouldn't... Have it on the same electrical outlet? Try moving it to another room/circuit. Try it with the ringer turned off. May be the bell.

TLB wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

I am experiencing the same thing with my NG 624 router and my cordless TTS

900 mhz phone. Whenever the phone rings, my desktop computer - which is hard-wired to the router - loses its network connection. Every time ! And once the phone is not active, the network connection is automatically regained. Tried changing phone channels but to no avail.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
TLB

Ignoring the wireless, it's quite common for a defective or missing DSL splitter to stop DSL traffic when the phone rings. If DSL is involved, I suggest he check the DSL splitter at the MPOE/NID or make sure that *ALL* the phones in the house have microfilters installed. The usual goofs are forgetting microfilters at cable tv set top boxes, satellite boxes, fax machines, kitchen wall phones, and alarm systems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you have DSL, make sure you have DSL/phone filters on every device plugged into a jack. The DSL modem should have a DSL filter (which I believe is a high-band pass), and any phone should have a phone filter (specifically made for DSL--which I believe is a low-band pass filter). SBC Yahoo ships several 2-in-one filters with their kits (several filters that have both a DSL and a phone jack on one split-out adapter).

Peter Pan wrote:

place. I

Reply to
hubcap_himes

My old Panasonic phone is, I think, a 900 MHz system. If I got a 5.8 GHz cordless phone system would that solve my problem?

Rod

Reply to
Rod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.