[rant] Missing sock syndrome

I'm talking about this kind of box:

formatting link
Most designs have some sort of trays or extra organizers or other manner of separate containers that you have to remove to open or to access what's under/behind them... that just leads to unnecessary clutter when one nice self-contained unit becomes several containers strewn about.

The type in that picture, the classic fishing-tackle box, keeps it all in one place - flip the lid open and have direct access to everything therein.

As I say, problem with most of them is that they don't do much to "seal" the compartments when they're closed, and they tend to roll over easily.

mikey wrote:

Reply to
Matt Ion
Loading thread data ...

They are all brown, you are colorblind

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The large centre container looks just like the floor of my van

formatting link
Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Practice safe eating....use condiments.

Reply to
Puterjoe

When I was still installing I used to make up a "job box" for each installation. Included were all of the components except cable. I'd place all the contacts plus several spares in resealable plastic bags. Before the guys would start a new job they would stop at the office and pick up the job box, a printed copy of the "Schedule of Protection" from the contract and any notes I'd made about the project.

When the job was finished they'd return the job box with any unused components and pick up the next one. The boxes were just large, cardboard boxes we'd occasionally get from distributors.

Each technician also carried a kit with a few extra of each type of contacts we used, a couple of extra motion detectors and one of each model Napco keypad plus an extra zone expander, a couple of sirens and batteries. When they used anything on a job or service call they'd replace it from stock the next day.

That's what worked for me. YMMV

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I can vouch for that. Doug has lost ideas on the floor of that van. js

Reply to
alarman

Yah we do this too. Except when we're swamped...then it's grab everything you might need+ and run.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Matt Ion

Right... and how many years did you say you were actually *installing* and *servicing* alarms again??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.