Portable work surface

I would like to have some sort of portable work bench/table that I can stow in my truck.

My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend above the cab. Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material (really just open area above the ladder hutch).

I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all that compact when folded.

Do any of you use something like that? The older I get the farther away the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a commercial construction project is getting old.

I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and drill, sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to believe.

If you have something proven I'd even be willing to take it to a welder

- but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't really want to put out the cash on spec.

Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well.

If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank you as well.

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

I am right there with you. With current recovery from total knee replacement and another on the way getting down is not a pretty sight. Currently I can find a bucket or a stack of construction stuff to put my plans on so I have a work-around of sorts.

I was considering using a fold-up step stool. One with at least 3 steps and the top step being similar to a seat or chair so you could sit down on those rough days. That is unless you have a "wide end" of course. Then a piece of plywood could be sized right and attached to the top handle with a hinged leg or legs for support. The plywood would have some sort of clips or pins that would match the top of the handle. All would fold up and fit in your truck and would easily be set up as needed.

I have not done this myself but I don't see a reason it would not work. Once assembled it may need some tweaks but they would be minimal. It might depend on the height above the floor you would like the 'table' so some extensions may be needed. But only a few inches or so. Could easily be done with a couple of 2x4's.

Hope that got your brain juices flowing.

If you are interested I could draw it up in a conceptual layout if you can't visualize the above. Could send it a .pdf.

Let me know if you actually build one.

Have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
Pa_Bound

one of those folding 'massage' tables?

Reply to
Robert Macy

I had to do a lot of programming lately so I took card table and folding chair to job did it ever come in handy we use 2 saw horse and piece of plywood for a table works nice

Reply to
NickMark

Ever consider using a TV dinner table.. they fold up and are reasonably small.. you can buy them new in sets or look in a second hand store for singles.. I've seen them made from plastic, metal and even wood..

RTS

I had to do a lot of programming lately so I took card table and folding chair to job did it ever come in handy we use 2 saw horse and piece of plywood for a table works nice

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees...

After reading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany.

I have one (and have had for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time.

formatting link

Reply to
JoeRaisin

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Congrats!!

Next???

Les

Reply to
Pa_Bound

WOW! Two of those, a folding 4 x 8 on top and you can really lay the plans out. Pa_Bound did point out something I wish I had learned -- Countertops are best if around 30+ inches high. You can view surface while standing, sit at a convenient stool height, and not dread getting up and down to go get that 'one more piece of paper'.

Reply to
Robert Macy

How about one of those white plastic "Lifetime" folding tables you get from Sam's Club? They make them from about 8' long down to about 3' I think and they fold completely flat about 2" in height. I think a 4' or 6' would be great for reading prints. When I worked for one company many years ago, we built a sub-floor in our vans to slide a Little Giant ladder underneath and then all the usual stuff was placed on top without feeling a loss of space unless you wanted/needed too climb inside. I'm sure a pickup can work just as well, if not better. Plus you can buy the nice and comfy matching chair to sit your sore and tired butt in. :)

Reply to
spam

On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:01:08 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote:

f portable work bench/table that I can > stow in my truck. > > My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend > above the cab . Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center > with one side ha ving shelves and tool bag storage and the other with > ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space > for wire spools/boxes , equipment to be installed and other material > (really just open area abo ve the ladder hutch). > > I was looking at the black and decker workmate bu t it really isn't all > that compact when folded. > > Do any of you use som ething like that? The older I get the farther away > the ground gets and wo rking off a print laying on the cold concrete of a > commercial constructio n project is getting old. > > I've gone so far as to try and design somethi ng I could build myself but > since I don't weld or have the ability to sha pe metal (cut and drill, > sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still > be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to > believe. > > If you have something proven I'd even be willing to take it to a welder > - but I haven't done that with anything I 've come up with as I don't > really want to put out the cash on spec. > > Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so > anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well. > > If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those > lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank > yo u as well. LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees... After r eading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany. I have one (and have h ad for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time.

formatting link

I know you're truck is all set up but here's some food for thought if you e ver change vehicles. I have a work van and ladder storage was always a prob lem for me because I didn't want to have to access ladders on a roof rack. So .... when I got my new van, I created a sub-floor in the van made out of plywood and 2x8's. I split the sub-space in the middle with a 2x8 and have two compartments to slide my ladders into (and also to support the top pie ce of plywood). Instead of getting regular size shelving ... mini van shelv ing fit just nice between the raised floor and the top of the van.

The biggest problem I have now is that I have to carry so many different ki nds of wire with me. Takes up all the space and really loads me down. Have to pull boxes out to get at things on the shelves. Have to figure out how t o compress my wire. Or ..... maybe I'll just retire.

Anyway, in the future, you might want to apply the same sub-floor idea to p roviding for a kind of pull-out table. A Piece of hinged plywood, couple of light weight fold-up saw horses. etc.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Jim

I have a friend that is in the business that uses a pickup truck. He has something like this installed in the bed.

formatting link

I believe his has storage bins in the pull out as well.

Les

Reply to
Pa_Bound

portable work bench/table that I can > stow in my truck. > > My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend > above the cab. Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center > with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with > ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space > for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material > (really just open area above the ladder hutch). > > I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all > that compact when folded. > > Do any of you use something like that? The older I get the farther away > the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a > commercial construction project is getting old. > > I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but > since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and dri ll, > sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still >

be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to > believe.

but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't > really want to put out the cash on spec. > > Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so > anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well. > > If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those > lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank > you as well. LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees... After reading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany. I have one (and have had for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time.

formatting link

983.jpg

change vehicles. I have a work van and ladder storage was always a problem for me because I didn't want to have to access ladders on a roof rack. So .... when I got my new van, I created a sub-floor in the van made out of plywood and

2x8's. I split the sub-space in the middle with a 2x8 and have two compartments to slide my ladders into (and also to support the top piece of plywood). Instead of getting regular size shelving ... mini van shelving fit just nice between the raised floor and the top of the van.

of wire with me. Takes up all the space and really loads me down. Have to pull boxes out to get at things on the shelves. Have to figure out how to compress my wire. Or ..... maybe I'll just retire.

providing for a kind of pull-out table. A Piece of hinged plywood, couple of light weight fold-up saw horses. etc.

I call 'em 'ladder hutches' and have used them for a while. When I had the small truck I had a six and four footers side by side, now with this truck I have on the driver's side half of the bed an eight footer laying flat, a six footer above that also laying flat and a four footer on edge against the divider.gives me a fairly open space on that side for wire and equipment - though I never have enough space for camera jobs.

On top of the four foot hutch I have a 2ft tube, 4ft tube and 6ft tube for fish sticks and drill bits.

The left side of the bed is shelves, drawers and milk crates.

When I get a new truck it's the first thing I do. Been something of an evolution as well. The first one I built I used 2x6's and shaved them down so the ladder juuust fit. As soon as I started piling wire spools and boxes on top I learned about how plywood will sag enough to make it impossible to pull your ladder out, or push it in once you have managed to wrestle it out.

I've always tried to avoid a full size van but lately I've been seeing things a bit differently. I've never before had a vehicle that could take an eight footer inside and I've grown to really appreciate it. It's nice having that sort of reach without having melting snow and ice dripping everywhere.

On top I have a ten footer and usually and extension ladder, but right now I am without an extension ladder and probably will be until I can't avoid getting another.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

portable work bench/table that I can > stow in my truck. > > My truck is a pick up with an 8ft bed and a topper that does not extend > above the cab. Inside the bed I've divided it roughly down the center > with one side having shelves and tool bag storage and the other with > ladder hutches (8, 6 ft ladders laid flat & 4 ft on its side) and space > for wire spools/boxes, equipment to be installed and other material > (really just open area above the ladder hutch). > > I was looking at the black and decker workmate but it really isn't all > that compact when folded. > > Do any of you use something like that? The older I get the farther away > the ground gets and working off a print laying on the cold concrete of a > commercial construction project is getting old. > > I've gone so far as to try and design something I could build myself but > since I don't weld or have the ability to shape metal (cut and dri ll, > sure, but nothing beyond that), everything I can figure out would still >

be too clunky - I guess I'm not as creative as I would have liked to > believe.

but I haven't done that with anything I've come up with as I don't > really want to put out the cash on spec. > > Work carts are nice but you have to have a van to stow one of those - so > anything portable and compact along those lines would be great as well. > > If you guy know of any products or have even built something along those > lines I would greatly appreciate it... And these old legs would thank > you as well. LOL - I am a putz that can't see the forest for trees... After reading Robert's and Rocky's posts I had an epiphany. I have one (and have had for over 10 years) one of these (well, very much like it- we got it just before leaving Japan) in my garage. We use it camping all the time.

formatting link

983.jpg

change vehicles. I have a work van and ladder storage was always a problem for me because I didn't want to have to access ladders on a roof rack. So .... when I got my new van, I created a sub-floor in the van made out of plywood and

2x8's. I split the sub-space in the middle with a 2x8 and have two compartments to slide my ladders into (and also to support the top piece of plywood). Instead of getting regular size shelving ... mini van shelving fit just nice between the raised floor and the top of the van.

of wire with me. Takes up all the space and really loads me down. Have to pull boxes out to get at things on the shelves. Have to figure out how to compress my wire. Or ..... maybe I'll just retire.

providing for a kind of pull-out table. A Piece of hinged plywood, couple of light weight fold-up saw horses. etc.

Oh yeah - I have considered the truck-side (or back) table but here in Northern Michigan that is DEFINITELY a seasonal solution.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:43:35 PM UTC-5, JoeRaisin wrote: I call 'em 'ladder hutches' and have used them for a while. When I had the small truck I had a six and four footers side by side, now with this truck I have on the driver's side half of the bed an eight footer laying flat, a six footer above that also laying flat and a four footer on edge against t he divider.gives me a fairly open space on that side for wire and equipment - though I never have enough space for camera jobs. On top of the four foo t hutch I have a 2ft tube, 4ft tube and 6ft tube for fish sticks and drill bits. The left side of the bed is shelves, drawers and milk crates. When I get a new truck it's the first thing I do. Been something of an evolution a s well. The first one I built I used 2x6's and shaved them down so the ladd er juuust fit. As soon as I started piling wire spools and boxes on top I l earned about how plywood will sag enough to make it impossible to pull your ladder out, or push it in once you have managed to wrestle it out. I've al ways tried to avoid a full size van but lately I've been seeing things a bi t differently. I've never before had a vehicle that could take an eight foo ter inside and I've grown to really appreciate it. It's nice having that so rt of reach without having melting snow and ice dripping everywhere. On top I have a ten footer and usually and extension ladder, but right now I am w ithout an extension ladder and probably will be until I can't avoid getting another.

Since I stopped/now avoid ... doing larger commercial, I don't often have n eed of an extension ladder. When I do, having a full size van, I stick it i n through the back doors, bungi cord them closed as much as I can, and tie a red cloth on the end of the ladder. Maybe 2 ... 3 times a year makes it worth not having to carry it around all the rest of the year. Besides, when they're on a roof rack and you don't use them they deteriorate, rust, etc, too much. Getting them up and down off the roof was always a pain in the a ss job I could never get used to, anyway.

Reply to
Jim

Hi,

Just thought I would mention the "Tele-step" ladder. I have a 14' rated at

250lbs and it stores away down to about 30 inches. I believe there is one also rated for higher loads. It takes care of those occasional hard to reach places and works great for me. I bought mine online a few years ago for about $225 with shipping.

Reply to
E DAWSON

ed at 250lbs and it stores away down to about 30 inches. I believe there is one also rated for higher loads. It takes care of those occasional hard to reach places and works great for me. I bought mine online a few years ago for about $225 with shipping.

I find that mostly I'll need an extension ladder for work at 20 feet or so. Like running wires along ceiling stringers/trusses in a factory for instan ce. I like the ladder to be a few feet longer than the height that I'm work ing at, especially if I have to get on a roof. I've seen some of those "col lapsable ladders and although they do condense in length they take up too much room in width, inside the van. I have step ladders that will get me to about 14 feet working height.

A twenty four foot extension that collapses to 14 foot is perfect. I've tho ught about putting a compartment on the inside ceiling of the van to hold i t. I've never taken the time to measure it out to see how much room it woul d take up. Just a long box made of 1/2 inch plywood would propably do. Mayb e next time. But, as I say, as I shy more and more away from commercial, I very seldom need an extension ladder anymore.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.