[rant] Missing sock syndrome

Why is it that I have 300 brown surface mount contacts but only 4 brown magnets?

100 beige magnets but only 10 beige switches, 6000 white recessed magnets but only 10 contacts?

Drives me nuts...it's like the hotdog bun conundrum.

And where the hell is my left sock anyway?

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

I guess no one ever informed you.

Magnetic contacts are designed with the ability to change color if they are not used prior to a certain time. It differs by manufacturer, type of contact and the time of the year. The change takes place at more rapid intervals in the summer, during breeding season.

Also, at other times, they change gender ...... from contacts to magnets and and from one model to another and back again. The frequency and the rapidity of the change is usually determined by whether they're stored in the light or in a dark place and how often they're exposed to either which means your geographic latitude is a also a factor.

It's very very complicated, which is the reason most people don't talk about it much.

I like mustard as my favorite conumdrument on hotdogs.

Where all old socks eventually end up .......... In sock heaven.

Reply to
Jim

I think its much simpler than that, you look for a white contact and they change instantaneously to brown, you look for a brown contact and the little bastards change back again. Want a magnet and they all sprout leads, look for a contact and grab the wire leads and its like a lizards tail, the wires come off and its a magnet again.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

You musta ate some bad sushi before you went to bed. Wake up! Wake up! Crash, your having a bad night mare!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

This has brought tears to my eyes. ROFL Thanks.............................

Reply to
ABLE_1

oohhhh the humanity!

I got freekin contacts everywhere! Like the brooms dancing in Fantasia I gotta get this under control I must have thousands of dollars in mixed up contacts..and do my installers care ... no. I'm gonna make them buy their own contacts & beanies from now on.

Thats another pet peeve...beanies (at 3 cents each) all over the freekin place!

| > Drives me nuts...it's like the hotdog bun conundrum. | >

| > And where the hell is my left sock anyway? | | You musta ate some bad sushi before you went to bed. Wake up! Wake up! | Crash, your having a bad night mare! | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I just restocked my shop today after my wife did some housecleaning ! She recovered a billion beenies under the living room sofa cushions where I lay down every evening to watch the news !! Then I did a cleanout of my sons working boxes this morning while he is away on vacation, and recovered another billion contacts and magnets he didn't know he had....

Next time he calls and says.."Dad, we need more contacts"....he's gonna get the third degree....:))

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I use to have the same problem when I was installing systems. I had one of those Plano flat fishing tackle boxes strictly for contacts, beanies, and resistors, to avoid the problem with mismatched items.

When I arrived home, I would hang my keys on a family keyholder, and just below it, I was required by Management to empty all my pockets into a large clear fishbowl.

After about a month, a authorized representative from Management would hand me ziplock bags with contacts, mags, lithium batteries, beanies, resistors, money, etc., all sorted for me. I then just took the ziplock bags and placed them in the correct compartment in the tackle box...this worked well for about 15 years.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Hey now, that's what I call "intelligent management" (and by "management", I assume you mean the missus).

Since she's on the payroll, I might just lay that idea on her......:))

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

My manager just yells at me to go empty out the washing machine of coins, washers, beanies, screws, anchors...but she keeps the money. Dang it. There is no equity.

| > Next time he calls and says.."Dad, we need more contacts"....he's gonna | > get the third degree....:)) | >

| > RHC | >

| >> I got freekin contacts everywhere! Like the brooms dancing in Fantasia | >> I gotta get this under control I must have thousands of dollars in mixed | >> up | >> contacts..and do my installers care ... no. I'm gonna make them buy their | >> own contacts & beanies from now on. | >>

| >> Thats another pet peeve...beanies (at 3 cents each) all over the freekin | >> place! | >>

| >>

| >> | > Drives me nuts...it's like the hotdog bun conundrum. | >> | >

| >> | > And where the hell is my left sock anyway? | >> | | >> | You musta ate some bad sushi before you went to bed. Wake up! Wake up! | >> | Crash, your having a bad night mare! | >> | >

| >> | >

| >> | | >> | | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? | >

formatting link
| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yep, you guessed it. Back then she also went on jobsites with me, and pulled her own weight, and kept the tools & truck in order...not a single beanie to be found under the seat cushions or ash trays...I guess that's why I married her... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Such a romatic

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Yes...I married a real woman. Not a trophy wife... LMAO.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Reply to
Matt Ion

I love tackle boxes for sorting things, but the problem is, if they ever tip over, you're looking at two hours or more to reorganize everything :P

Reply to
Matt Ion

Try the flat suitcase style. It has 2 hinges, and compartments on both sides. It is almost impossible to tip it over.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Reply to
mikey

Il tell you whats worse I have been shifting thru and cleaning my garage sending stuff to jim and found contacts and you name it from 15 years ago i just found new in the old tool box. Wondered were the hell they got to all those years.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Yeah, I've gone through a few different styles of "spill-proof" organizers... none are really as usable as a good ol' fishing tackle box, with the articulated trays that pop up when you flip open the lid.

Jim Rojas wrote:

Reply to
Matt Ion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.