Honeywell 60 / DSC PC1550

I bought a resale home and the homeowner left her previous alarm system setup. If possible, I would like to have a second keypad for this alarm system at another entry way.

The alarm system is a Honeywell 60. I couldn't find anything about it on the internet then I opened it up and noticed that it said it was a PC1550 board. I found the DSC PC1550 manual on the internet and saw that it is the same as the Honeywell 60 manual (word for word) but without the Honeywell stamp on it.

First, is it worth my while to get a another keypad for this system. The installation manual says that up to 3 keypads can be hooked up. It is straight forward - Would I need the Honeywell 60 keypad or can I use a DSC keypad? I checked the Honeywell and DSC sites and I could not find any keypads that match my system. (The panel says PC1500RK or PC1500RKF) . Which ones should I buy? I'm in Toronto.

Thanks.

Reply to
ac
Loading thread data ...

Sir, you can simply add another like keypad of the same model. Nothing else needs to be done in the way of additional programming. Most alarm companies have a few of these keypads sitting around for use in servicing these old panels, since there are loads of them still in service. They are worth peanuts to buy. You might even be able to find them on ebay.....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Thanks for the reply ...

The way I understand your statement is that the honeywell 60 is the same model as the DSC PC1550 and thus the honeywell 60 keypad is probably compatible with the DSC keypads (ie keypad versions I listed above or the LCD600 I just noticed on the web). I guess it is a matter of getting one and testing it. I'll call a local monitoring centre.

By the way , good website with excellent straight up information on security ... I noticed that this model is mentioned as the "Chev/Pontiac" bottom end of line hardware in the industry and that the model is no longer being manufactured by DSC since August 2005. Oh well makes me think that perhaps I should look at other models.

ac

Reply to
ac

Correct on both points. Time to upgrade really. As the saying goes, you wouldn't run your business on a 486; why run your security on the same vintage of alarm panel...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

What's wrong with a 1550?? Is it going to communicate faster than the newer stuff?? Yes. How much faster? Maybe 5 seconds. The 1550 has similar features to many of the new panels coming out by other manufacturers (in some ways it's still better). Sure, it's limited to six zones, but it was a hard panel to beat (feature and price wise) in its day. When would I actually recommend "ripping one out"? Well... If it's got more devices hooked to it than available zones. If the customer wants to add more devices than there are zones. If they want to add *wireless* features (or X-10) or if they "suddenly" want an Elk M1G... :-)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reply to
Frank Olson

you would recommend a non UL panel?

Reply to
Chub

True enough Frank !! Nothing wrong with the 1550. I am responsible for perhaps 100's of them within my customer base. But if you're going to spend a few bucks for another keypad, why not spend a very few more for a new 632 or whatever and start fresh. Panels today are SO inexpensive, why not replace it. Hell, most people go out for dinner and spend more on a meal than a new panel and keypad cost !! Then you have a far more user friendly keypad, and are able to add on wireless with no hassle.It's the same old story as that with an old car; spend money on an old car for repairs to keep it running for awhile longer or get a nice new vehicle !

But with our market so ridiculously bottom line price driven, I was trying to inject a bit of common sense (or at least another viewpoint) into the equation....:))

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Thats me. :-) M1 is going to be replacing a PC1555.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Yup. In a residential application I don't see anything wrong with it. The panel's so well engineered (from what I've seen) I honestly don't know why it isn't already. Besides, UL Listed panels can start fires too, you know!! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I strongly disagree and you cannot compare a security system with a computer, if the security system is working properly and does what the customer wants there is no reason to replace it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

A typical 4/2 signal sends in roughly 45 seconds, CID or SIA sends in about half that

Agreed

Reply to
Mark Leuck

My experience has been a bit different. DSC's phone-line simulator is able to display 4-2. It also has a listen in feature so you can hear and visually identify the signals going to the receiver in real time. A

4-2 burg signal will transmit and kiss-off in about 20 seconds (on average). Your experience may be different because you're probably monitoring a whole lot more accounts per line card in addition to the fact that more time may be required for the CS software to interpret and display the signals from the receivers. My point was that SIA (which most modern panels are capable of transmitting these days) is a lot faster. I've seen nine seconds on some phone exchanges, but typically it's between 10-15 seconds. It turns out what I posted in response to the OP was "sorta ass-backwards" (too much rum in the Eggnog). Sorry for the confusion.

You musta met my Dad. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

That is why there are still Z100's out there. I am sorry Mark, couldn't resist.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Oh man, is bASS going to jump on this one Frankie! Have a Happy New Year!!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Mark ,I guess that is a matter of perspective. I had a customer a while ago call me up to do nothing more than upgrade his old DSC 1500. He wanted a new Spectra with the high end LCD keypad, but had no other obvious reasons for doing so. When I told him his old equipment was perfectly OK for it's intended purpose, he said to me...."hey, I upgrade my cars, my stereo, my computers...why wouldn't I upgrade my alarm system; it's just as important"....After endless customers trying to get something for nothing, or only willing to spend the minimum, it's refreshing to see someone with a more realistic viewpoint !

And here's a thought for you ! Perhaps our industry is part of the problem, with everyone trying to do the most for the least, and in the process, perhaps cheapening the industry. Car salesmen "upsell" all the time; computers have to be the "greatest and the newest" all the time, so along comes a customer who actually WANTS to upgrade his equipment, and we question it ??

Just another view of things....:))

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Like I care one way or the other.

Same to you Bob!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

You guys got me convinced. This system currently meets my needs. I called my local monitoring centre and they are willing to sell a keypad for $80. I'll install it myself. I don't know if that is a good price though. I got to think about it.

ac

Reply to
ac

Well... the price isn't "great" by any means. I'd contact Jim Rojas at

formatting link
I'm sure he's got dozens of them in his backyard... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.