Honeywell Galaxy panels

I may need to replace my trusty old Scantronic 9100 system.

I've heard that the Honeywell Galaxy (possibly the 3-48C) may well be the one to go for, but I do have a number of questions:

0) The big one - is this kit installable by a reasonably competent DIYer and electronics hacker, who also happens to be a software guy by trade, or does it really need to be installed by an alarm company (with their darned maintenance contracts).

1) I've got 9 zones of 4 wire sensors (6 wire to the PIRs) and a PAB. It appears that the Galaxy uses two wire technology. I assume that means I need to open up all my existing sensors and install lots of resistors to allow tamper detection to work - is that right?

2) The existing system has a builtin loudspeaker in the panel, I assume the Galaxy needs to have one fitted?

3) The existing system has a keypad builtin to the control panel as well as an external keypad in another room. I assume that I need TWO external keypads for the Galaxy - is that right?

4) I have a external SAB (Stand-Alone-Bell) unit with a strobe. The strobe is driven off its own relay in the control panel (two wires), and the SAB has four wires - +ve, -Ringing, 0V (-ve), and Tamper Return. Can this be driven from the Galaxy?

That's it for now ...

Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave Partridge
Loading thread data ...

You might want to look at Comfort (Cytech in rest of the world). It is designed for both professional and DIY install, but requires reasonable competence in software for the programming. I have fitted two such systems.

formatting link
I'm probably out of date with current offerings, but a basic system comes with 8 zones (plus tamper), 8 programmable outputs, phone line interface for dial-in and dial-out (voice prompts, tone responses), and you'll need one keypad (can have up to 8). Any house phone can also be used to perform most of the keypad options, as indeed you can by dialing in remotely. There's a built-in answering machine too if you want to enable it with multiple mailboxes.

System is expandable by adding multiples of 8 zones and 8 outputs upto 64 each (actually, I think more than that nowadays), or by a one-off expansion to 24 zones and 8 outputs total with no further expansion. System also supports 16 X10 inputs and all possible 256 X10 outputs (need to buy an X10 mains interface unit).

Because of the large number of zones (inputs) and outputs and the infinite programming possibilities, these units are often used to implement home automation in addition to the alarm function.

There are lots of add-on modules, such as serial interface, ethernet interface, etc for connection to computers and other kit, and there's some Windows software for programming the alarm, although I've never tried this. I use the serial interface and my own software to log all alarm events and perform home automation functions from a computer.

Each Comfort zone can be set to be simple contact (N/O or N/C) (with optional tamper protection in separate wires if required) or dual EOL resistors to include tamper function on a 2-wire circuit.

There's a speaker and microphone in each Comfort keypad. Newer ones also have an infra-red remote receiver built-in.

That would be the case with Comfort too, unless you could use a house phone instead for one of them. (I wouldn't recommend using a house phone for the main arming/disarming of it.)

You will probably find Comfort too expensive for just an alarm unless you are going to use some of the home automation functions e.g. switch your heating on and off when you come in or go out or remotely by phone.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Dave As Andrew says cost and extra's may not be needed in your case. Depending on where you are and what you need these days the choices are endless. If you just want to replace your old Scanny' then try a gardtec 800 or 840

8 x 4 wire zones on board remote or on board keypad , expandable with 4 x 4wire expander cards up to 32 zones (48 if 840 series) tried and tested units (have some on contract over 20yrs old) still in full production and reasonably priced (around £85.00 for 800 basic unit)

Or if you want to go all modern try a eurosec cpx ,8 zone 4wire or 9 zone 2 wire (same unit) radio expander unit adds 8 radio zone + 8 radio fobs built in dialler (for bt std line) alpha numeric keypad . On offer complete with

3ah batt fused spur + box 6 radio devices of your choice around (£225.00)

BTB prices are trade from my local counter in NW England.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.