Honeywell Galaxy Panels

I may need to replace my trusty old Scantronic 9100 system.

I've heard that the Honeywell Galaxy (possibly the 3-48C) may well be the one to go for, but I do have a number of questions:

0) The big one - is this kit installable by a reasonably competent DIYer and electronics hacker, who also happens to be a software guy by trade, or does it really need to be installed by an alarm company (with their darned maintenance contracts).

1) I've got 9 zones of 4 wire sensors (6 wire to the PIRs) and a PAB. It appears that the Galaxy uses two wire technology. I assume that means I need to open up all my existing sensors and install lots of resistors to allow tamper detection to work - is that right?

2) The existing system has a builtin loudspeaker in the panel, I assume the Galaxy needs to have one fitted?

3) The existing system has a keypad builtin to the control panel as well as an external keypad in another room. I assume that I need TWO external keypads for the Galaxy - is that right?

4) I have a external SAB (Stand-Alone-Bell) unit with a strobe. The strobe is driven off its own relay in the control panel (two wires), and the SAB has four wires - +ve, -Ringing, 0V (-ve), and Tamper Return. Can this be driven from the Galaxy?

That's it for now ...

Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave Partridge
Loading thread data ...

The Galaxy systems can be installed by a competant DIYer but may be a bit of an overkill and different terminology can be confusing. You may be better off looking at a cheaper, easier panel to work with. A smaller version Cooper Menvier or Scantronic panel may be a better choice.

That is correct as the Galaxy range does not allow to install to without resistors.



The SAB will be able to be controlled by any new panel.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Do you have any specific recommendations?

Reply to
Dave Partridge Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.