Home security monitoring service

I was looking around for a home security monitoring service. The house in RDU, NC has ADT equipment installed by the previous owner. I called CPI and they offered me a 36 mo contract at $30/mo & I could use a cell phone instead of a land line. I could use their standard package without any additional fees. I was wondering if I could get a better deal elsewhere, without the contract? Do phone companies (e.g. Verizon) offer alarm monitoring?

Reply to
HR
Loading thread data ...

I found two cheap monitoring systems, but was wondering about their quality or other catches in their advertisement. has anyone tried these. Are there any product evaluation web sites for thsm??

formatting link
formatting link

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
HR

I have a DCS pc1555. Should this not work with any and all monitoring systems?

Reply to
HR

Pretty much yes. You cannot use a regular cellphone

30 bucks a month is a tad high...actually more than a "tad" unless that included the special cellular phone you willl need.

Find a local alarm company to take care of you, forget the cheapies online some of them aren't real.

Phone companies don't offer alarm monitoring...we've been fighting that battle for years.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Effectively yes, the 1555 has a number of common communication formats available. As Crash says, find yourself a smaller local dealer, preferably one who will give you a measure of service and warranty included with the monitoring at a fair market price.

Pure low end monitoring is available from a number of places. One that I know of that is also very good is"

formatting link
". However, it pays to remember that these discount outfits generally give you nothing but the monitoring itself which is fine as long as you can service the panel yourself. Service will be by referral to an independant dealer in your locale, who will charge you a premium price for his services. One service call could easily eat up any difference between the discount rate of these suppliers and a local independant for several or more years. Plus they often charge you for a year in advance, which can be non refundable.

Discount monitoring services are a crap shoot.......like everything in life, you generally get what you pay for......( penny ante philosophical mode...."off"...).

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.