ADT may come knocking...

First, let me thank the regulars for much indirect advice over the last couple of years. I've lurked with much success while installing and maintaining systems on my current and previous homes.

My current situation is unusual in that we have purchased the assets of an existing business, renegotiated a commercial lease in the same space, and are operating a newly-formed company under the same trade name as the former company. This was done to effectively take over the existing company without incurring any of its liabilities or obligations. Very neat, but...

The previous owner had not yet fulfilled the term of her lease with ADT. Because my wife was a manager of the existing business, we are familiar with the very poor quality of the install. We'll be looking elsewhere for our security needs.

I have read here in the past that it is best to ignore the alarm company's attempts to contact you regarding their equipment. I did this with our current home and, indeed, they eventually gave up. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this approach on a business account that, in their eyes, is still under contract. Actually, it is under contract, but not with us. The previous owner no longer holds a lease on the property and, again, we assumed none of her obligations. I'm sure that will cost her some money when they get it all straightened out.

Ideally, I would like to work out a month to month arrangement with ADT until we are able to arrange for a new install. Does this seem reasonable? If not, should I box up their equipment and allow them to retrieve it? I can slap my home panel in there with some contacts on the entry doors (no operable windows) in an afternoon as a stop-gap measure until I can get the pros in. I am very reluctant to allow ADT to enter the premises to remove their own equipment. The building is a century old and I'm sure most of the wiring runs were there before this latest install. Who knows what they will pull!?

Thanks again for your expertise!

Chad Speer Kansas City, MO

Reply to
Chad Speer
Loading thread data ...

Well, a lot depends upon the laws in your area, but a straight lease generally means you don't own the equipment nor have any title to it (end of lease buyout clause excepted). The lease is with the previous party, who will likely be on the hook for the balance of the payments unless you assumed all the previous liabilities (which you say you haven't, but I'd check with your lawyer for sure). A contract is a contract though, and since ADT can't get blood out of stone, they may come looking to you for the balance even if they may have no real right to (again, check the contract). IF they were smart, you could likely negotiate a deal with them to assume the rest of the lease on a month to month basis, but somehow, I don't think that will happen. Their primary interest, like most companies, is to lock you into a long term agreement. But it's worth a try - might also give you an idea of how they would treat you in the future should you decide to stay with them.

If that doesn't work, your next best bet might be to rip out the hardware yourself and tell them to come get it. That way they can't sabotage the wiring for the next company( although I've seen none of that kind of unethical behaviour with ADT). It has been my experience locally that ADT is so huge and so bound by rules and regulations that they have little ablity or desire to be flexible. That's partly why they lose so much ongoing business to other companies. That and high prices and lengthy service wait times (speaking for our area only)

If the installation was so bad originally, make sure your next dealer will spend the time to go over the system properly to ensure the new system will work false alarm free in the future. You don't want to exchange one problem for another !

Good luck...

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottaw, > First, let me thank the regulars for much indirect advice over the last

Reply to
tourman
***** The lease is with the previous party, who will likely be on the hook for the balance of the payments unless you assumed all the previous liabilities (which you say you haven't, but I'd check with your lawyer for sure). A contract is a contract though, and since ADT can't get blood out of stone, they may come looking to you for the balance even if they may have no real right to (again, check the contract). *****

Well, I guess I'm thinking along the right lines. I figured they may try to intimidate me into assuming or extending the contract. Not gonna happen. :-)

***** IF they were smart, you could likely negotiate a deal with them to assume the rest of the lease on a month to month basis, but somehow, I don't think that will happen. Their primary interest, like most companies, is to lock you into a long term agreement. *****

Time to yank the Elk panel out of my house and stick it at the business. I'll just make my wife stand guard at home for a couple of weeks while I schedule the install. LOL!

***** If that doesn't work, your next best bet might be to rip out the hardware yourself and tell them to come get it. That way they can't sabotage the wiring for the next company( although I've seen none of that kind of unethical behaviour with ADT). *****

I suppose I'm just being paranoid, but that's exactly what I feared. I guess there is a big gap between shoddy workmanship and malice.

***** If the installation was so bad originally, make sure your next dealer will spend the time to go over the system properly to ensure the new system will work false alarm free in the future. *****

I've kept my home systems relatively simple and had no false alarms. I'm no pro, but it amazes me that we can have so many false alarms without so much as a sign of interest from ADT. I understand there may be some tweaking on sensor placement or settings, but we even have a surface mount door contact that opens because a change in air pressure pulls the door tight against the jambs. I guess they didn't do a jiggle test. :-) I haven't pushed the issue with their support people because I knew we'd be yanking their panel soon.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Reply to
Chad Speer

RHC: Well, "intimidate" might be a bit strong, but they WILL try to persuade you to sign a long term contract.( for business reasons why, see my site on the page entitled "contracts" if you're interested).

RHC: Its quite common when doors go out of adjustment (new house settling or what have you), that door contact gaps will exceed their built in limits. Use of wide gap contacts and rare earth magnets will normally solve (or better, prevent that from day one) unless it becomes extreme. It's nomrally an easy fix by simply adjusting the strike on your door...

Bottom line, find a dealer who you feel will actually CARE. There are a lot of fine large companies too, but the nature and sheer size of big business usually doesn't allow for any sort of personal or customized level of service. Whoever you deal with, make sure you are comfortable with the level of warranty and service they will provide and especially, it's timeliness. There are three rules in real estate sales.."location, location, and location". I think there should be a corresponding triplicate set of rules in the security business..."service, service and service". Any company that forgets after sales service does so at their peril (long term contract or not)...

R.H.Campbell

formatting link

Reply to
tourman
1 If you believe the ADT system is inferior or inadequate, why go month to month with them?

2 Why will it take you over a month to "arrange for a new install"?

If you are really no longer legally obligated to their contract, you need to advise them of that in writing. js

Reply to
alarman

Do not work out a temp agreement with ADT...this may lead to problems with the old agreement and you getting out from under that.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Okay, I'm getting that I shouldn't try to negotiate a month to month. I considered that only because the employees are familiar with the system and I'd rather deal with a few more weeks of false alarms than install the panel and keypad I have, teach them that, and then do it all again when I have a new system installed. I'm assuming it will take a few weeks to get a reputable company out to do an install, but I'll find out on Monday. Maybe not so bad.

I suppose I can just leave the ADT system in for a couple of weeks and hope the previous owner doesn't call to settle her lease with them in the meantime. That is actually likely as she isn't really organized and may not realize she is still obligated to ADT. The downside is that she still has control of the system and we can't change that with ADT.

I think I'll just have my equipment ready to go in the event there is a problem with ADT before I get someone else in there for an install. Maybe I should also disconnect the phone line so there are no further false alarms that might imply we continued service with them past the change of ownership.

Does anyone disagree with just setting the ADT equipment aside in case they want it, but not contacting them regarding the change? It sounds like they regularly abandon equipment after a lease ends, but that's obviously not the case here. I really want to avoid any appearance that we have an existing relationship with ADT, because we do not.

The other option seems to be to call them and explain that the business operating at that location is not in any way associated with the previous company or owner, that we have disconnected their equipment and that they may retrieve it by appointment. Better plan?

How does it work when someone sells a house before their ADT lease expires and the new owners don't want to continue service?

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Reply to
Chad Speer

Have another company come and install something...ADT uses Ademco/Honeywell stuff so have a company install the same stuff and your employees will have no problems.

Have the new company remove anything that is leased, put it in a box nice and neat. After the new system is operational, call ADT and have them come pickup the box (get a receipt of the inventory). Done deal, no discussion.

To answer your last question...ADT will track them down and still make them pay.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Jesus. js

Reply to
alarman

My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Please go with anyone other then ADT. I have used ADT "Automated Death Trap'' services before I got in the alarm biz.. they are awful. PLEASE. I Beg of you! Choose another alarm company... Since your located in Kansas City, MO, you should be able to find a local alarm company or someone close to you to give you better service.. What are you paying a month for your lease/monitoring? You could have a new panel and a few motions installed probably under 400.00 with month to month monitoring for only 16.00 a month. that's what I charge most of my commercial customers...Anyone can do better then ADT......

Matthew Armor Security Systems

formatting link

Reply to
Matthew Stanley
***** Please go with anyone other then ADT. I have used ADT "Automated Death Trap'' services before I got in the alarm biz.. they are awful. PLEASE. I Beg of you! Choose another alarm company... Since your located in Kansas City, MO, you should be able to find a local alarm company or someone close to you to give you better service.. What are you paying a month for your lease/monitoring? You could have a new panel and a few motions installed probably under 400.00 with month to month monitoring for only 16.00 a month. that's what I charge most of my commercial customers...Anyone can do better then ADT...... *****

Well, that's what led me to start this thread. We won't be using ADT (although my idea of using them briefly while arranging another install seems to have ruffled some feathers). I am waiting for a return call from a local company that bid on a home system for me a few years ago. They have a good reputation here and seem to have many commercial clients.

formatting link
I'm hoping your ballpark on the install is correct, because that is what I have figured. I think the previous owner was paying either 30 or 40 dollars a month for monitoring, and I'm assuming we can get it for less than $20.

Thanks for the advice...

Reply to
Chad Speer

You're likely driving customers away with that craphole website in your sig. You might want to remove th hyperlink until you come up with something better. Also, be careful what you say online and then sign your name to. You never know who may be watching.

Reply to
J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.