ADT Essential Wireless Package

ADT Essential Wireless Package is it any good? Consists of one keypad, 1 control panel, three doors alarmed, 1 smoke alarm, 1 quick key, 1 motion all installed. monitoring $30.99 a month. upgraded talking control panel is $85.00, Premiere package is the same, I think, plus cell guard cell phone alerts, security link, for $973.00 plus additional door, four windows armed for $1323.00

What do you think?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Bring a pen. And Vaseline.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Vista-20P, its a decent system

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Is it a Vista-20P system? Can the bad guys defeat a wireless system? Should I insist on wired door alarms?

Reply to
Mike

Why do you say that?

Reply to
Mike

NSA PSYCHOPATH Mike,

When you RAPED YOUR UNDERAGE DAUGHTER, did you RAPE her in MISSIONARY POSITION or DOGGY STYLE ?

Did you SUCK HER PUSSY until she came ?

Did you LET your NSA PSYCHOPATHIC PEERS also RAPE YOUR UNDERAGE DAUGHTER after you CAME on your UNDERAGE DAUGHTERS FACE ?

Did you VIDEO TAPE yourself RAPING your UNDERAGE DAUGHTER ?

Did you also FORCE your UNDERAGE DAUGHTER to have sex with YOUR PET DOG ?

Did you FORCE your UNDERAGE DAUGHTER to SUCK YOUR DICK too ?

Did you PYSCHO-ANALYSE how YOUR UNDERAGE DAUGHTER felt when YOUR DICK was INSIDE HER PUSSY ?

Did the REST of your NSA PSYCHOPATHS watch YOU REAL TIME LIVE RAPING your UNDERAGE DAUGHTER and PSYCHO-ANALYSE your DAUGHTERS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS while BEING RAPED by YOU ?

Did the REST of your NSA PSYCHOPATHS PSYCHO-ANALYSE yourUNDERAGE DAUGHTERS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS while BEING FORCIBLY RAPED by YOUR PET DOG ?

Did the REST of your NSA PSYCHOPATH PEERS PSYCHO-ANALYSE your UNDERAGE DAUGHTERS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS while you BRAINWASHED her to think her boyfriend was FUCKING HER ?

Reply to
McGinn

No they can't.

But with a partial system, you need to hope the burg breaks in one of the three doors (actually 2 doors, because they're not likely to come in through the garage-house door).

Here's what you do...go to ADT's web site and configure your alarm system with their online calculator...but configure a full system, all doors & windows a motion or two. This way you'll see what a real system will cost you from them. Then call a couple of reputable locally owned alarm companies in your area and get prices from them.

The 20P is a good system, I've got a lot of them out there and have no problems with them.

1 | >> control panel, three doors alarmed, 1 smoke alarm, 1 quick key, 1 motion | > all | >> installed. monitoring $30.99 a month. | >> upgraded talking control panel is $85.00, Premiere package is the same, | >> I | >> think, plus cell guard cell phone alerts, security link, for $973.00 plus | >> additional door, four windows armed for $1323.00 | >>

| >> What do you think? | >

| > Vista-20P, its a decent system | >

| | Is it a Vista-20P system? Can the bad guys defeat a wireless system? | Should I insist on wired door alarms? | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Because you're signing a 5 year contract which, regardless of what the salesperson says, is fully collectible if you move, get hit by a bus, divorce, etc. It will automatically renew for 1 year periods after that, and if you don't call to cancel within a 30-day window, you will be on the hook for the additional time as well. They will increase your price DURING the contract term (read it carefully) until you're near $45/mo. The amount you're ultimately going to pay for the equipment and service will be roughly double what you would pay if you had the same equipment and monitoring provided by a "local" company.

I used to work for this company. I swear by their in-house Commercial division, which does top-notch work. Their Residential division, which is mainly handled by contracted installation companies, leaves something to be desired.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Vista-20P is a decent system. Honeywell's (aka Ademco) controls a re reliable and well-supported in the industry. Their wireless sensors are on a par with ITI which many consider the name to beat in wireless. Honeywell also owns several good brands of wired sensors though virtually any make of wired sensor should be compatible with a wired burglar alarm.

Defeating a wireless system isn't really any easier than defeating a wired system. The thief would need to know the type of system you have and a lot of other information that isn't easily had without specialized equipment and knowledge.

There are some advantages to wired over wireless. Wired systems are simpler (less stuff to fail) and require less maintenance (no batteries in the sensors). Wired burglary sensors will usually last as long as the structure, whereas wireless sensors can and do become obsolete as manufacturers change wireless systems.

The primary advantage of a wireless system is it's easier to install. If your home is a difficult place to wire then an installed wireless system may actually cost less to buy than an installed wired system. If you were doing it yourself obviously the least cost method would be wired.

As to obsolescence, if you don't plan to be in the home more than 10 years or so that may not even be an issue.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In my prior post to this thread I only addressed questions about hardware. Although the previous poster and I disagree on many issues, he is pretty much bang on in the above. The only things that might vary from what "Stanley" has said are the length of the contract term, the amount of advance warning you're required to give in order to cancel and the length of the automatic renewal term.

Also, although the standard ADT contract does state that they can raise the fee during the term of the agreement, you do have the right to cancel if you don't accept the higher rates.

In short, if it's ADT "Corporate" you'll probably get a professional installation and competent service. If it's one of their so-called "authorized dealers" watch out! Those have been the subject of thousands of complaints and of lawsuits by attorneys general in numerous states. The "dealer" programs from ADT, Protection 1, Monitronix and a few others are rife with problems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It should be noted that, even if ADT says they are using "in-house" installers from a local SSO branch, in our SSO at least, the "in-house" resi and high-volume small-business installations are handled by an "in-house" subcontract company who works out of the local ADT SSO office. So, they can says, with a straight face "Oh yes, we use in-house installers..."

It's not only the resi installers you have to watch for, the billing dept for resi is the division from hell. If you never have a billing issue, you will be in a small minority.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps the arrangement varies with the territory. However, my general impression is that if the contract is with ADT *Corporate* there's a better chance the job will be done properly.

Good point.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I read the first three letters and then discount the rest. What do I think? ADT sucks. You'll find out for yourself I suppose. js

Reply to
alarman

ADT resi contracts are three years not five. Most local companies have a similar terms. The contract is subject to escalation over time like most long term service contracts. Without the escalation, the alarmco would be losing money over time due to inflation. With the CPI increasing by about 4% per year, ADT and other companies are justified in doing this. ADT's current US corporate residential plan provides the equipment as an outright purchase. The customer owns the equipment once they pay the installation invoice. Pricing is certainly not double what most local competitors are charging nationwide save the occasional company out buying customers. In many areas ADT uses qualified subcontractors on residential, commercial, and government work. Sometimes these subs provide services that aren't core to ADT's business model like installing large amounts of conduit, providing high voltage power drops, or trenching long distances. Other times subs are used to help with a substantial backlog or with very large jobs. ADT has a relationship with a contracting company called Carter Brothers that does quite a bit of commercial and national account work. Using subcontractors is pretty much a standard industry practice and is done by most decent size companies. However, ADT does not subcontract repair service,account services, or monitoring like many other companies do. Regardless of who installs the system, ADT does have the responsibility to ensure its done correctly. To the o.p., call a few other companies and see what they have to offer. Remember to ask them who owns the system once its installed, who monitors it, do they have a 24 hour manned help/ service line, is their central station backed up by another, who does their repair service, is their central station UL listed, how long have they been around, how big is their customer base, etc.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:53:44 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote:

Reply to
J.

Common opinion among small independent alarm dealers. In some cases it's justified. With 6 million customers and $4 Billion in annual sales, there are quite a few examples of why ADT "sucks." There are also quite a few examples of why ADT is the leader in the industry. Stay away from the authroized dealers and compare at least three companies. Make up your own mind.

Reply to
J.

ADT uses a slightly modified Honeywell Ademco Vista 20 Plus. It's a very good system for most consumers whether you buy it from ADT or someone else. Beware of "packages." Chances are your needs are different than what the package provides. ADT and most other companies will be happy to add the appropriate number of devices to ensure your security needs are met. Without knowing your house, lifestyle, area, etc, it's impossible to tell if 3 doors, one motion, and a single smoke is enough. Also, the monitoring services is equally as important as the hardware and system installation. Be sure to ask details about how it's done and by whom.

Reply to
J.

"J. @netscape.net>" Common opinion among small independent alarm dealers. In some cases

Trouble is,

1. People don't know the dealers aren't ADT.
  2. ADT fosters that, AND doesn't police them.
  3. McDonalds sells a hell of a lot of hamburgers, and BTW, they suck too.
  4. js
Reply to
alarman

It's a three contract the same as local installers. I haven't seen it so I don't know if the terms change.

Reply to
Mike

It's a dealer - TYCO is also on the business card. I'll call adt corp.

Reply to
Mike

I'm getting the upgraded "talking" panel wireless with some things hard wired. How difficult is it to screw up wireless "small pet friendly" sensors?

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.