Checking out a left-behind Ademco

Moved into a house where the owner left behind an Ademco system. I don't see any identifying marks on or in the panel or on the box. I downloaded all the Ademco manuals but I'm not sure which one applies... the Vista 20p looks "close" but it's hard to tell from the pictures. What would be tell-tale identification marks? And how do I get into the box without the proper key? I would like to see what shape the battery is in if nothing else.

Reply to
runderwo
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland

I'm an Ademco (now Honeywell) dealer. Call me and I'll have a key sent to you free. If you find that you do need a battery you can order one online. The 12 Volt, 7.0 Amp Hour ones are $15 retail.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Just drill the lock or pop the can with a screwdriver. You can close it back by using screws in the side of the lid (holes already there).

On the circuit board there will be a sticker identifying the panel model. You can get a batt. @ Radio Shack or an electronics supply house.

Reply to
Milhouse Van Houten

Before you order anything from this indivdual please see his bad Better Business Bureau record below.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

Funny... I called several local places who led me nowhere until one told me nobody but ADT can give you the key. So I figure ok, I'll call ADT, maybe they'll be helpful. I told them the previous owner did not give me the key when I bought the house. The ADT representative informed me that they could not give me a key without an active account. I said fine, sell me a key then, you must have spares? The representative told me that they obviously would not sell a key for security reasons. I said that was nonsense, I was the homeowner. They said, sorry, that's company policy. I said, well is it okay if I break into the box. He said sure, you own the box. I said, so basically you won't allow me access to a box that you installed and that you just said I own, in a home that I own, because that's considered a security risk - but only when I do not have a contract with you. He said, that is correct. I said that's asinine and hung up.

I then called another local alarm company who said they don't install Ademco panels, but installers in this area normally place the key on the top of the panel box. I fished around in that crack between the panel and popcorn ceiling and sure enough, the key fell out. Got a replacement 5Ah battery for $14.

The last local I called is also less than half the price of ADT and half the contract length.

Guess who's getting my monitoring contract?

Reply to
runderwo

I just love a story with a happy ending...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.