bought a new house - changing security code, etc

Hi gang,

We recently purchased a new house in St. Pete, FL. The previous owners had an alarm system monitored via ADT. There was something on the fridge when we closed that said to call the ADT rep and they will come out and change the security code for us. But low and behold, they will not do that unless you sign the monitoring agreement from them.

I said, ok, I will just try to figure out how to change the code myself (as they said they could not help at all since we wouldn't be monitored thru them). And then the rep went on to say that I should just have the alarm system shut off, because the motherboard in the current alarm system is set up to call ADT when the alarm sounds. And since we won't have service, not a phone line hooked up the house, that the system will just go in a loop and we won't be able to get out of it.

Was the ADT rep full of crap? Is there really no way for me to use this system without it being monitored?

Thanks! Aaron

Reply to
Aaron
Loading thread data ...

Yes he is full of crap. Give me a call anytime at (813) 884-6335. I will assist you getting your system up and running. I am located in Tampa.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

No. They were right. To a point. It will dial the number stored in it with the account number in it. If you close out the account It will dial but will not find the account. I'd disconnect the line so they cant modify your panel. You can get a new supplier or monitoring station or replace the panal.

Reply to
Rich

Jim, super. I actually had you out at our home a while back, but lost your contact info.

Thanks. I'll be in touch. Yeah, I'd like to reset the code and have you look over everything.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

It depends on which panel they used and how they locked it. Many panels have a code lockout to keep clients from changing to another alarm company without replacing the alarm control panel. Many dealers use the lockout code, insisting it's to protect them from being sued if you screw up your alarm and the neighbor slips on a banana peel while walking his dog or some such nonsense.

In the best case you just need to reprogram your alarm as a "local" (non-monitored) system. If you can tell which make and model the panel is, I'll be happy to help you get manuals, default codes, etc.

If the alarm company locked the panel against local programming, the easiest solution will probably be to swap out the main board. Depending on the model, that could cost anywhere from ~$40 to over $100.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I took over another ADT system today. Corporate, not a dealer. The installer and dls access codes were left at default. Gotta love that. js

Reply to
alarman

The rep, and ADT for that matter, obviously want to sell you monitoring. That's how they earn a living. You can't blame them for not wanting to reprogram it for free without getting a monitoring contract. However, the system can be programmed in local mode. Be careful though. Up until about two years ago, almost all ADT residential systems were leased to the customer, and alarms sourced through authorized dealers are still leased. They may have some legal right to remove part or all of the system from your home if you do not sign up with them. I doubt they will, but they may be able to.

One question, why would you want a non-monitored security system?

Reply to
J. Sloud

I've yet to find an ADT that was locked...installer code easily changed too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

This one was wide open to dls too. I just connected, copied the panel, and changed a few settings. No fuss, no muss. js

Reply to
alarman

I don't know about corporate but plenty of "authorized dealers" do it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

What reason would they have to lock out an account that is going to the mother company? They are selling the account to Corporate. Does that mean Corporate can't get into their own account? Even with all of your hands on experience.. :>), your claim sounds more like an assumption rather than fact. Now, if a company is installing systems for their own account base and they just happen to also be an authorized dealer for one of the nationals, that is another issue and has nothing to with the Corporate entity they happen to be a dealership for. It is unfair for you to connect the two on an issue like this. Please don't continue to shoot your mouth before you load your brain. It accomplishes nothing but to confuse the person, outside the industry, that comes here looking for factual information.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I was at my neighbor's house while the alarm company was installing his alarm panel and such. I just asked the guy what the lockout code was. He looked at me funny but then I said, "Look, I won't tell your boss you gave it to me." and so he did. Now I help my neighbor add zones and fix programing all the time. For example, the losers put an entry delay of 5 minutes?! FIVE minutes?! And we added a pre-alarm to the glass breaks... oh, and their crappy PIRs kept falsing so we replaced them too...

Reply to
Total nerd

Not the case with Pro 1. I had major problem with my neighbor's system. His contract was up and he was paid up and wanted to come with me. At first they denied it was locked. Then they had to "find" their in-house tech that could unlock it. The whole process took 3 freekin weeks.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Because it is free.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yep, exactly. Mainly don't want to go with ADT. I might consider NextAlarm or something like that. Just wanted the ability to shop around and not be stuck with 1 company.

The previous owner said they owned the system, so I should be good to go.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

I have, ADT Vista panels have a feature where you can get into programming but can't change certain areas

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If I remember (Ademcrap stuff) right, you can access most of the programming via the keypad, but all of the CS info can be locked via downloader...

Reply to
Russell Brill

ADT Authorized dealers NEVER install leased residential equipment. ADT Authorized dealers SELL systems to end users. Where do you come up with this stuff?

J. Sloud wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Hmmmm I think I ran into a Westec(?) Ademco panel like that a few years back. I could program everything except there were "invisible" fields..even tech support didn't know what was going on. It may not have been Westec,,,maybe Edison..cant remember. I kept that panel in my museum.

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You get what you pay for. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.