Generic Central Station Horror Tales

Due to some recent events, I have pondered central station operations a little more than usual. Therefore I am asking myself some questions others here may have asked and answered for him or her self already. How many generic central station horror tales does it take to begin to discredit a central station operation? If a central station pays money to a dealer for a central station screw up, should that be viewed as a positive or a negative for that central station in a dealer's eyes? How much money has to change hands before the event is to be considered a big deal? Are damages in the hundreds of dollars significant or are the thousands of dollars the real starting point where one should start taking notice? Does a one off failure event count more than a policy screw up that results in a loss? Does a mechanical failure mean more or less than human error in rating a problem? Over time, how many screw ups should a dealer expect from a central station on an annual basis, monthly basis, etc? Is account volume more of a factor in expecting issues to arise, or is it all more a function of time? Given the costs involved in switching central stations, how many events should a dealer be willing to tolerate versus reasonably expect? When a central station screw up occurs, is it a good idea for the entire central station staff be made aware of it; and the incident used as a training opportunity? Conversely, should all screw ups of any kind be kept under wraps on a need to know basis? Which is the better policy? What role should dealer input play on these decision processes? If a central station employee doesn't know of a screw up, is that lack of knowledge merely reflecting on his lowly status within that organization, or is it indicative of a care less type employee attitude showing poor morale is becoming problematic, or is it pointing to an overly secretive operation with some really big problems to hide?

Reply to
Just Looking
Loading thread data ...

Holy crap you guys... if you have more than a few lines ow about breaking it up into paragraphs?

All that type in one block on the screen is hard to read.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I went crossed eyed first, then I wrote it. What did you expect?

Reply to
Just Looking

Gee, sounds like you have service from E-24. Run screaming from the contract. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I had a really bad experience with them. Cost me a good client. I walked, but I only had a few accounts on with them at the time and I was able to reprogram them all remotely.

Now I have been slowly moving all my accounts over to my own toll free lines so if I ever have a problem liek that with a CS I can swing a huge block to a new CS in a day. It has saved me money too. Not an issue though. My current CS does a pretty good job over all and has some good services available.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've never seen so little said, as when so much is written. js

Reply to
Buggs

What recent events? You seem to have this odd one-sided paranoia

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You must have a guilty conscience. When did I mention you or anyone you work for in this post or thread? Besides you have only proven so far that you don't know the truth or simply can't tell the truth. Isn't it time for you to go clean the mops or do something useful? You have no business posting here anymore. After reading your posts, I wonder how many others here have formed the opinion you're a complete know nothing fake.

Reply to
Roland More

:^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Nonsense. I've known for years that he is a fake know-nothing. The reason I know this is that there are plenty of genuine know-nothings here that make him stand out. js

Reply to
Buggs

Hmm you sound a lot like another poster here, a little too much like him

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I have always found that public floggings are bad for employee morale.

There's no way to quantify errors like you suggest, because each error is different, and has different consequences. Given that mistakes will happen, I think the thing to look for is how management approaches them. If their response is limited to attempts to make you feel better, then it's time to look for alternatives. If the problem is equipment or software related, and they seem unwilling to spend the money required to fix the problem, time to start looking. If it's a training issue, you largely have to trust your gut on whether they are doing anything about it.

Sometimes, it's the dealer's fault for insisting on oddball procedures and special instructions for handling certain accounts. Sure, some amount of customizing is necessary and expected, but the weirder and more complicated the instructions for a certain account, the more likely some operator is going to screw it up. Dealers need to remember that the instructions they provide today have to be simple and clear enough that they make sense to the guy who gets hired for third shift two years from now. It is better to tell a customer now that you can't do something, than to have him find out for himself a year from now.

It goes without saying that it's smart to have your own receiver phone lines, so you can change quickly and easily if needed.

I am a bit mystified as to your comments about central stations paying money to dealers for their screwups. I expect a central to pay false alarm charges if they mishandle a signal, like dispatching to the wrong address. Other than that, I can't think of a situation where they would pay a dealer money, certainly not thousands of dollars. Alarm dealers don't pay off when their customers get hit and the alarm doesn't work; central stations sure don't, either.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Is this your new tact? My disgust with your ridiculous non-denial denials now puts me in league with someone you hold in low esteem; let me guess, Bass? You are slipping! Certainly that comment isn't on the same scale as your others. Why not just say, let me guess again, Bass, and I are actually legally married? No, how about a Bass clone and I were abducted by aliens. That would be more proper. Then you could talk about our alien love child all the time. It beats your trying to vilify me for a screw up on your end. What would be even more of a shocker is you could try to post something that is relevant and truthful, both at the same time. Maybe something like how to make certain that recent problems you know nothing about don't repeat themselves again? Funny how you can make observations and comments about everything else under the sun, but never get around to that. Why don't you tell us who you talked to, or can talk to at work to check this out? Give us a name or two for everyone here to see in advance. Then I could call that man or woman and see why you don't seem to know anything about what never happened; and then after he or she talks to me, he or she could set you straight once and for all. For some reason it seems no matter who I suggest at your place you never seem to have heard of anyone. Don't you think that in itself is a bit odd? Well once you tell me who you actually claim to know where you work, I can be certain that he or she tells you. I guess a person working at the same place you do for only 17 years is too much of a newbie for you to recall noticing? I guess no one else knows there anything about her either? But remember I told you she isn't there anymore. Well that just shows nothing gets past you and yours I guess, except maybe the facts, or the truth, and perhaps a few critical alarm signals? Certainly not the hush up cash for the dealer and end user, I know that goes right by everyone there in those FedEx envelopes. And I know that will never stop because once it does the lawyers will get a hold of it, just like with Jim, and it will all become public record. Then instead of having to resort to vagaries, I can just cut and paste the whole story right here.

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message news:46e20d23$0$10433$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Reply to
Roland More

Would you expect a central stati>

Reply to
Roland More

Only proprietary panels? Why?

he's the head programmer

Reply to
Mick

As far as I can tell the policy was >

Reply to
Roland More

I don't think that's legal in his state although with the way he likes to get around the rules it may not matter

That tends to happen when over 500 people work there

Oh I thought you were already doing that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Okay, first I am too cryptic, and then, as the puzzle comes more into focus for you I guess, I am then saying too much? Just like the three bears, I guess I'll tell the story again and again, until I get it just right; or you fess up and tell us once and for all.

Reply to
Roland More

What story? You haven't told ANY story yet. Spill it or zip it. Jeeez. js

Reply to
Buggs

No you've always talked too much, the problem is you haven't said anything

Exactly, keep telling stories again and again

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Maybe that was the idea

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.