Hell South Security or Bell South Security from Protection One

One of my last customers, and a major reason I resigned from Bell South, from Protection One, was a prime example of why the paying customers do not trust security companies. I sold the system, after conducting an extensive home survey. They were considered by Bell South Security, to have been a "conversion" sale. I was working from a company provided lead. They currently had a completely up to date system. My first impression was to just quote them the $49.00 conversion/takeover fee, and leave it at that.

The prospects/customers revealed to me that they felt their system was going to be, in the near future, compromised. The technician that had installed the system worked for the same company that the family worked for. They said that there was a very good possibility that this person would not be employed by the company much longer, and feared retaliation by this person. During the survey of their system, it became apparent that they did need a few new sensors, a smoke detector, and cell back up. When I figured the $49.00 would be waived, and if they bought a new system, 3 door/window sensors would be included, it made sense to explain that this way, they would not be throwing the $49.00 away.

They agreed, and also wanted a sensor on a garage door, that was a good

50' away from the main house. My team leader begged his way into the appointment, and although I already had a signed agreement, he persisted in trying to one-up me by talking them into a voice activated module, so they could use any phone to dial in, to set or turn off their alarm remotely. They went for about $190.00 at the time, but the price has dropped about $30.00 since then. He also convinced them that since our Ademco keypads converted a system to being wireless, the garage door sensor they wanted would work from the house without having to put a range extender, or new panel in the garage. We tested this by using a keyfob. I stood outside down by the garage, and he stood back in the house by the existing panel. I had the keyfob, and he had his demo kit, which was wireless. He said he got a signal.

The part that really irritates me is that he even saw they had Ademco equipment, and it was fairly new. They had an existing Ademco Vista 20 board (that should tell you something). I sold the new system telling them that we could do one of several things. I told them we could use their existing board, which actually had more capacity than our Vista

10 modified for P-1. The other options I gave them was for us to replace their board with ours, but we could still give them back their Vista 20. They decided, from my advice to leave their existing Vista 20 in their box, and they really didn't care about our board.

I (due to not wanting to open a can of worms) did not write their decision on the agreement. It was getting late (8:30'ish PM), and I decided to come back and write this up later. Keep in mind I already had a signed agreement, but my great salesman team leader had sold even more stuff to them, and now I had to re-write the agreement. I went back, and the husband and wife had absolutely no problem signing the agreement. I took it back to the office, and showed it to our imbacile Installation Manager, and explained that this customer did not care or want our panel. I told him they had (and my paperwork back me up) a Vista 20. I also told him no matter what we did, they DID want their old panel.

This retard never bothered telling the installer, and even though the customer told the tech during the installation that they wanted their panel, he took it anyway. I called the customer the next day, and asked how the install went. They relayed to me that they had asked the tech to leave the board, but he took it anyway. I immediately called my IM, and my Mgr., and told them BOTH that this customer wanted their board back. Two weeks later, the board STILL wasn't back in the customers possession. I finally told them I had told everyone several times about it, but I wasn't getting anywhere with them. Finally, I told my Branch Manager. He was walking out of his office, and stopped the IM, and asked him right in front of me if he had any knowledge of being asked to leave the board with the customer? The IM lied, of course, and said no. He tried to tell me that the board had been "locked out". I know that is BS. I asked him after the install if it had been locked out, and he said he didn't know. I told him it would have only taken a few minutes to check it, and asked if the tech had checked it. He waffled, lied, and tried to cover his lying butt. The BM told him to send them their board back. Two days later, the Install Department did leave the board. They left it in pouring rain, by the yard sign. They customer said the board he left wasn't even their board. The customer was irrate to say the least. They were mad and accused the installer of taking their perfectly good board and installing it somewhere else while doing a "side job". I told them that I did not think that was the case, but I would guarantee that they would get a Vista 20 panel. I told my boss I would back this customer in a threatened lawsuit if it came to that. I guess that finally got his attention. I even told the regional idiot Manager from Atlanta, who backed this whole bunch of non-performing idiots. I told him (The Atlanta idiot) that it was no wonder this branch had gone from being #1 in the country in numbers 3 years ago to one of the biggest slumping branches. They don't know their heads from their butts.

The week after I resigned (from this and not getting paid on a timely basis, they still owe me about 2k), my ex-mgr. told me that this customer now had a brand new Vista 20 panel, that he personally had made sure it was delivered.

The lesson I learned? The company you work for could be thieves. They not only might steal from you, the saleman, but customers too. It doesn't do any good to tell that idiot IM anything, because he lied anyways. It's a way of life with this particular branch of Hell South Security from Protection One. Several of the other salesmen have also told me that when they started, it took them a long time to get paid for jobs. They said the installation department had always been light years behind getting things done. The IM doesn't have ANY installation experience whatsoever. He has never even sold for a security company. His background, from what I learned, was solely from Bell South corporate. I guess he was the head butt licker there, or they dumped him on the Coconut Creek branch. I will write more about this branch's problems, or the problems I had, later. Stay tuned.

Reply to
Sonicduck
Loading thread data ...

Dear Sonicdick

What gives you the impression that anyone here ......... cares?

Reply to
Jim

Well I watched the same four p-1 guys work on trying to install a system a a convenience store for a week; everyday I would stop and see how they were doing knowing that I could have completed the install in one day by myself and it was truly amazing to watch their lack of progress. There were at least three p-1 trucks there everyday for ten days and I guess they finally got it done but how the heck do they make any money on this?

Reply to
<thesatguy1

The deal is they, like government workers, get paid by the hour. That is real incentive to get the job done, right....or, more like job done right.

The business model also takes that into consideration. They would rather pay by the hour, and pay less to the installers, and build the business slowly, than pay by the piece like ADT does, and get rush jobs.

The problem is that the model they are using ties up resources, and torques customers when they have to wait most of the time, three or four weeks to get installed. In a real rush, they will do it faster. There is no incentive on the part of anyone to get anything done quickly. That is a crappy model if you ask me. I worked for a furniture company up north selling furniture. Everyone from the delivery guys, the regional manager, the sales reps., the customer service rep's., on down to the repair guys got paid a commission. It was based on "completed satisfied customers with no returns or damages, and it was in EVERYONE's best interests to get it done right the first time quickly. We all made good money. Hell South from Protection One doesn't get it.

Reply to
Sonicduck

Jim,

Ignore me or go to the Sesame Street website. It would be more on your level evidently. Can't please everybody all the time.

Reply to
Sonicduck

You evidently can't please anyone ...... anytime.

It's manifest by your idiotic posts that you don't have a freaking clue about this industry. It's no wonder you're looking for a job. Who, in their right mind would come to a Newsgroup, badmouthing a former employer? Do you actually believe that anyone would consider what you have to say as valid, since you obviously didn't leave on good terms? Maybe they let you go because you didn't do a good job. What makes you think that anyone should actually believe what you say about them? It could simply be you're way of getting back at an employer that discovered how incompetent you are. Why would you be dumb enough to come to a Newsgroup with complete strangers and assume the everyone would believe what you're saying about your employers and that it wasn't really YOUR fault you lost your job?

But even beyond that possibility here's some of your absurd comments that you've made here, that would, in fact, be a good indicator that you DID get fired.

Here's a really brilliant quote :

"Most companies charge you for your equipment, but you NEVER actually own it."

That's either a deliberate lie, utter stupidity and patently wrong.

Here's another quote:

"Hell South, from Protection One (my new nickname for them) "

If someone chose to pursue it ..... this could be construed as slander.

And another:

"and I will gladly discuss some of the inner workings at Hell South. "

That one would definitely qualify as industrial espionage.

And this one's a beaut:

"One of the most interesting, yet disturbing things about monitored security systems is their ability to tell whether your system is actually online or not. The method most companies do this, and most security consultants do not bother to tell their prospects, is by an "electronic bullet". The electronic signal is sent from the monotoring

center and "dials into" each customer home, and waits for a signal telling it that everything is working ok."

And my favorite of all:

"My guess is that only a small independent company, where most of the installers don't even have up to date background checks, and possibly no worker's comp. insuarance. For any homeowners out there, make sure the company you choose is NOT an independent dealer, especially an ADT dealer masquerading as a REAL TRUE BLUE ADT salesman."

Did it ever occur to you that most of the people who are regulars in this Newsgroup are INDEPENDENT DEALERS?

Conclusion : You're an idiot. Go collect unemployment. I'll gladly pay for you to stay out of this trade.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah...I am the idiot. I was one of the top sales rep's in my department, while at ADT. Yes, they send bullets. Several techs and managers told me that early on. My manager while at ADT gave us all areas of concern dealing with small time hoods (RIp offs like you). Do you employees have to pass a background check? Do you provide worker's comp for them, or are they considered 1099, independent workers? Yep, I'm sure a jackass like you has a million other lies to tell describing why you chose to not do a federal background check, or even a local one on your installers. I advise anyone looking for a security system to check you licenses, check your installers for licenses (as subcontractors, of course, and proof that they have their own insurance should they get electrocuted, or fall down drunk). You are the liar, my lad, and most of the intelligent people drifting by will soon find that out. As for Hell South Security from Protection One, that is MY nickname for the company. I have a right to nickname anything or anyone I want. I can call you "jerk off of the month company", which you are, and it isn't slander. It is MY opinion.

Reply to
Sonicduck

Sales rep? Ahh that explains a lot

Nothing to see here folks move alone....

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Back to the used car lot for you, bud. js

Reply to
alarman

I've got access to all weekly sales rankings from 1/02 until 4/05 for Corporate Commercial and Resi reps. What was your department? Which market? Resi straight sales, or Resale? I'll believe you were a top rep when you prove it.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Why ..... how did I guess that?

Why ...... how did I guess that ....... also?

Yes, I suppose they would. If you didn't run down and badmouth your competition, you'd have no other merits to sell someone 2 doors and a motion detector as a "comprehensive, state of the art alarm systems"

Well, as a matter of fact, as a licensed installer, I have a state license, and a required county license. Federal background check. Mandated Federal background check on all employees including salespeople. I rarely, if ever use subcontractors. Insurance is required in order to

maintain a state license and even more than the minimum required if you want to be able to comply with insurance certificate issuances to builders. However with your miniscule experience in this business, I don't expect that you would know all that.

Hmmm, I say that so far, you can produce no evidence that I've told one lie, however your posts have been filled with just oodles of wrong information and half truths obviously born of inexperience.

I have shoes older than you are.

I presume you are excluding yourself from that category.

Which is an indicator of your obtuse mentality.

Uhhhh, as you compose your answer to this, try to count the number of people who've responded to you so far, who agree with you. I guess you'd say that everyone else is wrong and you're right ..... Right?

You can count on everyone ignoring you, very shortly, then you can go away.

Bye bye!

Reply to
Jim

Greetings Jim...(with old shoes)

here is a fact sheet put together by my ex-mgr. while at ADT. He and I worked for corporate ADT, and here is how highly they think of independent dealers, whose biggest scam "used" to be this: "Ma'am, if you'll just let us put a sign in your yard, for advertistement, we'll put a system in for you FREE." (Hee-hee)

My ADT Corporate Resi Resale Mgr:

1. ADT is not responsible for the quality of the installation. Most are installed by 3rd party subcontractors.
  2. ADT is not responsible for the type or quality of the equipment installed.
  3. ADT is not responsible for any damage to woring, plumbing, drywall, roof, structural damage, or damage to the contents of your home.
  4. If Dealer installer is injured in your home, he is NOT covered by ADT's workman's comp or any other ADT provided insurance.
  5. Dealer may choose to broker the montioring agreement to a 3rd party rather than have ADT monitor your system.
  6. All ADT employees undergo a comprhensive background check including drug screening, and a nationwide fingerprint search, All ADT associates must be FASA recertified every two years.
  7. Remember this: The quality of the protection for your home and family (business) is directly related to the subcontractors ability to fulfill his financial commitment to the monitoring company. If the contractor fails to make the monitoring payments, your monitoring can be terminated without your consent or knowledge.
Reply to
Sonicduck

Tell that to the SSO service managers who are constantly sending ADT corporate service techs out to fix dealer screw-ups.

ADT requires their dealers to use ADT approved equipment. By installing anythings else, they violate their dealer contract.

True. The dealer is an independent business who must carry E&O insurance.

See above. Dealer "employees" may actually be contractors not covered under the dealer's workers comp policy.

Under most circustances, they'll risk getting their dealer license yanked and being sued. They can't sell it as ADT and switch it to another central.

ADT's background checks are probably the most comprehensive in the industry simply because they have the most to lose. However, except for the DoD clearances required for some employees (lucky me), all they do is pull criminal background checks from local authorities. Only employess working on federal projects have clearances that are done by the federal government We're also subject to SSI, which could personally bankrupt someone. Much nastier that traditional classified information.

This is only somewhat true. Corporate ADT will generally charge the dealer back and fix the system to retain the RMR.

Reply to
J. Sloud

That's funny...as I said, my ex boss from corporate ADT (right here in West Palm Beach) actually gave me the printout that I copied here. So, I guess you are going to call him a liar.

After a certain number of months, a dealer can switch the monitoring to anyone he or she chooses. If your comment about ADT Dealers HAVING to use ADT approved equipment (that STILL doesn't mean the dealer has to use ADEMCO like ADT Corporate), how in the hell could an ADT Dealer GIVE AWAY systems, like the one in Port St. Lucie, who does NOT use Ademco, (and I know ADT also uses other equipment, but residential packages are pretty much ADEMCO/Honeywell), at least here in South Florida. The ADT Dealer does NOT use the SAME equipment as ADT Corporate did, period.

Dealers are responsible for the quality of their OWN installations. I think you're quite wrong there too.

Reply to
Sonicduck

Lets see, you cut and pasted some could-be fictional message from some could-be fictional person who supposedly works for ADT and having no proof of anything

So yea it could very well be true you are a liar

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Or a moron??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Or both??

Reply to
Greg

Are you BASA/FASA certified?

Do you even know what is entaled in a true federal backgroung check and how long it takes? I am not talking about some software package you pick up at Office Depot. Check your State licensing laws, several require background checks. The $64,000 dollar question. Out of curiosity, do you know how many times you have to get a back ground check in Florida. If you worked for ADT and P1, you should know how many you went through, who it went through and how often.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.