Gemini P3200 - * ZONES FAULTED ***

My Gemini P3200 system recently started telling me that all of my Entry/Exit zones are faulted. No wiring changes or other changes at the panel have occured. Although, I am not sure if it caused the problem, this condition seemed to occur after I tried to enable Chime 2 on these zones (undoing this did not help).

Oddly Zone 7, which is not set as an Entry/Exit zone is not faulting and neither is zone 8 whis is set as a 2 wire fire zone.

I tried erasing the dealer program (4091), but that did not help. When I reset the system, I receive the prompt for RF Transmitter points and Key Fob Transmitters . I do not hav either type of device in the system.

Any help on how to clear this status would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
mpsully
Loading thread data ...

Given the rest of the symptoms and assuming you are correct that nothing physical has happened to the system, it sounds as though your panel may have lost its programming. If you have Napco software and a PCI-MINI interface, try downloading the program again. If not, contact me and I'll get both to you. The software is free. The interface is about $20 retail. If you've already tried that and are still having problems, you might want to send the board in for repair. I can arrange that for you as a courtesy if you're not a dealer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Did mother nature pay a visit recently? You know, nearby lightning strike? Utility pole transformer blow up? Or something like that?

Reply to
Roland Moore

physical has happened to the system, it sounds as though

a PCI-MINI interface, try downloading the program again.

interface is about $20 retail. If you've already tried that

repair. I can arrange that for you as a courtesy if you're

That is a sign of a faulty panel not that it lost it's programming

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Utility pole transformer blow up? Or something like

I've seen an occasional Napco Gemini panel lose its programming or otherwise behave erratically. None of the instances (and they've been very few) I came across involved lightning though. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but when I've seen it there was no report from the customer of recent storm.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

or changed out your doors lately?

you live in florida the lightening capital of the us and have not seen any system damaged by lightening? must be because you are not allowed to work on anything in FL without a licence.

Reply to
Don

Thanks Robert. No recent lighting or storms. I tried to download the software from your site, but had some problems. I sent you a separate email. If it does turn out to be a bad board, is there a way to buy just a replacement board rather than a whole new P3200?

Any other ideas on why the system thinks all of these zones are open?

Thanks!

Robert L Bass wrote:

ke? Utility pole transformer blow up? Or something like

ise behave erratically. None of the instances (and they've

t couldn't happen, but when I've seen it there was no

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
mpsully

No problem. Call and I'll show you where to get it.

How old is the panel? If it's still in warranty, all you need to pay is shipping. If not, Napco will repair it. I forget what the fee is but it's a lot less than a new panel.

Usually if a whole bunch of zones show "fault" mean that the panel is expecting EOL resistors on the circuits but they're not in place or vice versa. However, if this occurs after the panel has been in service for a while it usually means lost programming or a defective processor. In either of these cases, the first thing to try it reprogramming the panel. If that works, fine. You save a bunch of money and everyone is happy. If not, we go for factory service on the board.

BTW, if the zones showing fault were all above zone 8 I'd look first for a bad zone expander.

You're most welcome.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It would be far easier for you to source a board locally (from either a Distributor or local alarm dealer). Mark may be right and the board is faulty. The way to confirm this is to place a short directly across one of the faulted zones. If the zone clears, it's a field problem. If it doesn't, it's a board problem. See if you can find the end-of-line resisitors (some installers leave them inside the can next to the battery). If you place one across one of the faulted zones and it "clears" it indicates the board did in fact lose it's programming (reverted to default). That tells me it's time to replace it, not reprogram it.

Robert should *NOT* be providing the Napco software as a download from his site. This violates Napco's EULA and Copyright. He got in some trouble with DSC over doing the same thing a few years ago. This is no different from someone "offering" Microsoft Software as a remote download. It is, however, far to much to expect Robert will "withdraw" this "service" voluntarily. It does, after all, set him apart from legitimate online stores that compete with him. The "added service" he provides no doubt appeals to those same individuals that enjoy downloading movies and software illegally. It's one more reason why I wouldn't ever recommend doing business with Bass.

Reply to
Frank Olson

There is an easy way to find out. If you have a simple volt/ohm meter (VOM)you can remove the wires from the respective problems loops and read the ohms present. If you don't have a VOM, the cost is much less for a cheap home type VOM than a service call from an alarm company. Use the meter to check and if the loop shows open (infinite resistance) then the problem is not in your panel but elsewhere. One of the reasons then may be due to rodent activity. If that is the case I suggest getting the critter problem addressed first and then fix the loops, otherwise the problem will repeat itself. If the loops show good and show open (when doors and windows open) and closed (when the process is reversed) then it could be that the system's program is confused thinks it should have EOLs (when it actually does not have EOLs) or shouldn't have EOLs (when it actually does have EOLs). Rat chews are easy to fix, but sometimes hard to find. Worse, sometimes they are easy to find but hard to get to.

Thanks!

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Roland Moore

that's probably because it's illegal to do.

yes

I wouldn't pay the money to have an old defective board repaired. To many ifs and buts. Just buy a new board. They are not that expensive and you don't have to wait for the repair and do without your security for a month. I recently had a board repaired and it lasted about a week before going bad again. Take it from a pro, don't waste your time and money repairing old defective equipment.

Reply to
Don

I th>> Thanks Robert. No recent lighting or storms. I tried to download

Reply to
Roland Moore

Have you been into the programming mode? You may have pushed the wrong button in programming.

Thanks!

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I do not provide the software as a download from my site. It's not even on my server. It is available on another server with Napco's full knowledge and participation. Olson (never a Napco dealer) wouldn't know that. As a long time Napco dealer I know that and much more about Napco that Olson would have no way of knowing.

They already know. They also don't care.

It doesn't bother them at all, since I don't violate anything -- Napco, Microsoft (how did they get added to this flame?) or whatever.

You might have noticed that Olson did nothing to help the gentleman.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Based on his first post, the problem apparently came up prior to any attempts to reprogram the alarm.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

quoted directly from OP

"Although, I am not sure if it caused the problem, this condition seemed to occur after I tried to enable Chime 2 on these zones "

Reply to
Don

Also: "I tried erasing the dealer program (4091), __but that did not help.__ When I reset the system, I receive the prompt for RF Transmitter points and Key Fob Transmitters"

Sounds like programming to me...but then again I hate programming Napco stuff.

| > Based on his first post, the problem apparently came up prior to any | > attempts to reprogram the alarm. | | quoted directly from OP | | "Although, I am not sure if it caused the | problem, this condition seemed to occur after I tried to enable Chime 2 | on these zones " | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

contrary to what RLb says this is why most dealers change programming codes. so the user doesn't f up the system

Reply to
Don

So pointing out illegal activity interferes with "helping this guy out", does it? That's gotta be one of the most idiotic things I've seen you post. It probably also how Bass "justifies" (to himself at least) providing his "extra service".

Reply to
Frank Olson

dumber than the one where he is making fun of the way black people talk?

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.