20P Question

Oye I shoulda known not to get involved with this guy's installs..

Anyway. Vista 20P with 10 (yes 10) interior doors contacted all on one zone (yeah I know)..the homeowner wants them to chime. I'm not sure if you can chime an interior follow zone...any ideas? Day zone obviously wouldn't work either.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

I was thinking of that chime per zone feature, but I wasnt sure if the zone type (Int Follower) would chime at all - since interior zones don't typically chime. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and energy and couldnt test it out at this house today....and no telco up there yet so I can't Compass it.

This guy is gonna hate the fact that he insisted on 10 interior doors being contacted...welp thats what he wanted and got...also wanted and got a pir in his garage...the garage was about 110 degrees today so that PIR ought to work well about 3 months out of the year.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think you can. The Vista20P has selectable features per zone. So all you have to do is edit the zone attribute to chime for each zone.

I shut off the chime to my front door in my home, but all windows and rear doors chime. I also have a Vista20P.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Yah, I know...it was a really stupid idea the homeowner had..."but my brother-in-law says he can do it with his alarm"...hmmm ok.

It gets even sillier- the reason he wanted interior doors to chime is so he could tell if his kids open their doors and wander around the house at night...the MINOR problem here is: HE HAS NO KIDS !! - so we "futured" for a silly option?

I expect a call any day soon that he hates having to close 10 doors before he arms the system AWAY.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Interior Zones won't chime at all. You may have to go with a configurable zone. Sounds like a pain... if one of the doors is left open (ie: home and moving around the house) then they won't chime anyway.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

If the brother-in-law happens to have a Napco Gemini system, he can do what your customer wants. Napco uses an open matrix to select features on a per-zone basis. There are 62 optional zone features from which to select.

The problem with this from a marketing perspective is most dealers don't like having to make that many selections. It takes more time to go through the matrix, especially on installations with 96 zones. Napco came up with a fix in their windows software. Now you can select from pre-configured "zone types" for each zone, much like an Ademco Vista system. Once that's done you have the option of changing the features of any zones you like.

For many families with young children that wouldn't be silly at all. The trick is to make sure the interior doors only chime and do not cause an alarm. Again, the Napco Gemini can handle that.

If he's actually planning to have children I can understand his wishes. If not, then you really are dealing with a whacko. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

yep... but how does it work with all the doors on the same zone? accidently leave one open, and no more chime....

Hey, Crash, any chance they are home run or is it a single wire?

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Yah, I have another product line that will do this too. However, I didn't sell this system or even install it (some sound guy did - have I mentioned that he has very little idea of what he's doing?)

This house really needed at *least* 16 zones and I had only 8 to work with so all the interior doors (10) end up on one zone...

Some people should just NOT sell alarm systems.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yah they're all home run quads...even on the double doors he ran a quad to left and quad to right (waste of wire)

Why what are you thinkin?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Good point. That's one more reason I prefer to do one sensor per zone.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"I prefer to do" This has installation connotations. Please tell us again what it is that you do.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I hate zone doubling. I'll sell a 4219 before I use doubling. But yes I see your point...but how would that help anyway if an interior zone won't chime...or did I miss somthing here?

tnx

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Bob Worthy" a écrit dans le message de news: T%BRe.3122$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

I can tell you what he does..

he is being a successful prick..

Reply to
petem

wait backup...x10 chime module...hmmm...go on, what are you thinking?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We use the First Alert versions of these Ademco panels so I may be off on what version you are using.

The panel should be able to do zone doubling. basically giving you 15 zones (zone 1 - as the 2wire smoke zone won't double) but you can only double devices that are normally closed.

check the install manual if you have it... if you don't, zones 2-8 use a

3.2K resistor and zones 10-16 use a 6K resistor. hook the two devices to the panel lugs in parallel.

This would let you run most of the interior doors as regular interior zones but still get a chime on the kids (future) bedroom doors.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I hate zone doubling too, but on the vista 20p it is not that bad. You only have 2 resistors per zone, not like other controls where you need 4. As far as the chime thing, use a configurable zone type and set it up for interior and to chime :)

James

Reply to
James

I believe it. Some of the worst work I've seen outside of Brooklyn was done by "sound guys".

AT the very least I'd have told the client he needs a zone expander for this to work. If he declined I'd have walked away from the project. You don't need that sort of headache.

Heh. You've got that right. They'd be better off (and so would the public) if they would stay behind the counter at the distributor. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Whereas you're an unsuccessful one. You know there's treatment for that.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The panel's too crowded to mush more wires up to the terminal strip.

I'll look into configurable zone types...I've never used them but I know they exist...I'll play around with one in the shop first. Thanks

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It loses something in the translation, Bob. He means you are *only* successful at being a prick. Ergo, unsuccessful at everything else. What did I miss anyways? Not like Petey to be so vehement. Man, you piss off people a lot, eh? What did you do this time?

Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.